2011 Mustang GT subframe connectors? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-24-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

2011 Mustang GT subframe connectors?

I am also considering buying subframe connectors for my Mustang GT. I like a firm and good handling car. Which ones do people recommend and what is the result in the handling if you can tell... Bolt on or welded? In my 2003 Cobra and 1990 LX I welded them on as bolt ons were considered not useful...

2011 Candy Apple red Mustang Premium GT, auto, Baer brakes, lowered, SVT Shelby Wheels 19" front and 20" rear with Goodyear F1 tires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-24-2010
S197 Mustang Owner
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to hotshot
BMR 2011 Mustang GT Tubular Subframe Connectors [SFC012] : Lethal Performance, Performance parts for Ford Mustangs

BMR 2011 Mustang GT Heavy Duty Boxed Subframe Connectors [SFC011] : Lethal Performance, Performance parts for Ford Mustangs

2007 Mustang GT Convertible Stage 0 E-Force #402 Supercharger, Brenspeed Tune (435/400), GT500 Fuel pump, Clutch Delete Option, Roush Front Fascia, Brembos, California Dream Hood, Qwitch latch flush mount hood pins, MRT Light Bar, J&M LCA's, BMR UCA, UPR catch can, 6000k, Pypes Bombs, Pypes X-pipe, Airbrushed Flame pieces under the hood, Clear corners, GT500 shocks , FRPP P-springs (rear), BMR Adj Panhard, E-Force engine covers
2012 Ford Focus SEL 5Dr with MyFordTouch, Auto-Park, 303A Package,

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-25-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

boxed or tubular?

Would you recommend the boxed over the tubular for the extra stiffness despite the extra cost? Is the difference noticeable?

2011 Candy Apple red Mustang Premium GT, auto, Baer brakes, lowered, SVT Shelby Wheels 19" front and 20" rear with Goodyear F1 tires.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-25-2010
Shelby Gt 350 member
S197 Member

S197's don't need subframe connectors in the least. The main tub is a BRICK! I know of 3 4100lb GT500's that can run in the 9's if they want too and none of them have subframe connectors.

At least one of the three was running in the 10's, pulling the front wheels and weighs 4350lb with driver and he ran no cage and connectors for a while.....till they wouldn't let him run that fast anymore without a cage. The car never had any of the chassis twisting issues seen with past gen cars (broken windshields, doors that wouldn't shut right, rattles, uneven body seems, etc).

I've put my car on jackstands (under the main tub) and set it up so they were at slightly different heights (slightly, as in 1/4"). The chassis did not flex at all. I could rock the car from stand to stand by hand. You wouldn't have been able to do this with a pre S197. It would have flexed enough to contact the "lower" stands.

Waiting on 2019 GT500

2012 GT Vert Brembo - Stock-ish

2012 F-150 FX4 EcoBoost 4x4 406rwhp/522rwtq. The most powerful EB F-150 on the planet?

2007 GT-TSR/Stops/Turns/Custom Everything/3.4L Whipple Crusher/1000hp SOLD
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012
Apprentice
S197 Member

Well, why is it that Consumer Reports for my 2006 GT says that it has exterior stability problems. Which tells me that the frame is not good. Also, I spun out during a ice storm last year and I can tell a difference in how my car corners, and the tires show uneven ware like there is a problem with the frame IMO. So, I ordered bolt-in subframe connectors for now, until I can find someone to weld them in for me. Never hurts to have extra security especially since my wife and I are trying for a little one later down the road :smilie
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehawk536 View Post
Well, why is it that Consumer Reports for my 2006 GT says that it has exterior stability problems. Which tells me that the frame is not good. Also, I spun out during a ice storm last year and I can tell a difference in how my car corners, and the tires show uneven ware like there is a problem with the frame IMO. So, I ordered bolt-in subframe connectors for now, until I can find someone to weld them in for me. Never hurts to have extra security especially since my wife and I are trying for a little one later down the road :smilie
Please post your results once installed... thanks!!!
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012
PONY Member

do some research, all the professional builders say sub frame connectors are not needed. Griggs builds some of the hottest mustang track cars and they do not use them. I too can attest to jacking a corner of the car and seeing no twist or flex at all.
"Also, I spun out during a ice storm last year and I can tell a difference in how my car corners, and the tires show uneven ware like there is a problem with the frame IMO."
not sure what you are implying here? do you think you twisted your frame? If so connectors wont fix the problem, you need the frame straightened/repaired. Installing them on a twisted frame will only make it worse.
"Consumer Reports for my 2006 GT says that it has exterior stability problems."
exterior stability problems can be caused by many different things, chassis flex would be seen on racing and hi HP/Torque applications, not the normal street situations that consumer reports would be testing for. Bolt on sub frame connectors on a 2011 would only add weight and the holes drilled will weaken the structure and give oxidation a place to begin.
"Never hurts to have extra security since my wife and I are trying for a little one"
what security would sub frame conn give you?
have a good shop check for frame damage if you are concerned your car is unsafe. If you want the connectors for the cool factor, go for it.

2011GTKonaBlueMTPremium/Comfort/BMRTubularFrontLowerControlarms
TallHDballjoints/QA1bumpsteerkit/EibachFrontAdjSwaybar/EibachRearAdjSwaybar
AR1-7/8longTubes/Magnaflo Catback/EibachProStreetCoilovers/MMcamber/casterplates
UMI DbleAdjLCAs/UMIloweringbracket/UMI DbleAdjPanhard/GriggsRearTorqueTube(eliminatesUpperControlArm)
JLT CAI/JohnLund 93Tune/Baer6PistonCalipers/14"slottedCrossdrilled2piece rotors
BlackChromeFR500s Nitto295rear 275front
CarbonFiber interior Bartonshortthrow/bracket
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012
Apprentice
S197 Member

I dont race my Mustang at all. I used to race my old Firehawk constantly, from what I can see you done to your Stang, I did the same with my old Firehawk, and my driving record shows it. Just from my experiences with that car and research that I have done myself for this one. That is all and giving my own opinion like everyone else.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012
PONY Member

For a Street car or drag car no you don't need them. Pre 2005 sure you would want them in particular on convertables. I have them on y 90 GT vert.

Multimatic, Roush, and others use them on race only vehicles for serious competition and MUltimatic goes far and beyond sub frames welding cross webbing into the floor pan for a more rigid ride. I drove an FR500 GT at a driving school and the floor pan bracing was serious work.

For about $125,000 you can have a real bad ass road course racing machine.
Ford Racing FR500C - 5.0 Mustang & Super Fords Magazine

2011 5.0 GT 3.55 gears, Candy Apple, Steeda CAI and SCT Tune,Steeda Control Arms, LCA Relocation Bracket, Pan Hard Bar and Brace, Ultra Light Springs, 3rd Link, Camber Plates, Tokico D-Spec Struts/Shocks, Shifter, Barton Shifter Bushing, Flowmaster hush power. Steeda 18X9 Chrome Pentar/Nitto NT05 275/40/18. BBK long tubes and OR xpipe

2005 F150 SXT, OX Locker, 4.10 gears, Edge CS Tuner, 33x10 AT, K&N FIPK, Gibson Exhaust.
Apprentice
S197 Member

Resurrecting thread to correct Misinformation. Just because the S 197 is stronger than previous models does not mean that it cannot benefit from subframe connectors. The first thing a race team does with the chassis is seam weld it. If it was so strong why would they bother? Chassis stiffness is key to handling and it really cannot be too stiff and compared to german cars our chassis are marshmallows. Who cares if a guy runs in the 9's without them. You can't say he would not be faster with them. Stiffler makes subframe connectors that are less than 40lbs. Well worth the weight.

2011 Mustang GT 5.0 N/A 522 rwhp, 378rwt, Boss Intake Manifold, Comp Stage Two Cams, Livernois Ported Heads, Kooks Headers and X pipe, Wiseco Forged Pistons, Manley Rods, Polished / Balanced Forged Crank, Boss Valve Springs, Boss Oil Cooler, Boss Oil Pan, Cortex/JRI SA Coilovers, Boss 302 Springs, Boss 302r steering rack, Boss 302s front lower control arms, Cortex Watts Link, Cortex Torque Arm, Cortex Adjustable Lower Control Arm, MM K Member,MM Caster Camber Plates, Torsen T2r Differential,
GT Member

Holy necropost, Batman. This thread comes from a time when the Coyote platform and any chassis tweaks were still unknowns.

Let me say this: stiffer does not mean safer, necessarily. A car is a safety system and bolstering one part can lead to other areas being weakened, maybe to failure. I'm going to show you the safety system in action. In Sept. I spun, jumped a curb and hit a 10 inch alder with the passenger door of my 2012. That rolled the car over and put her on her roof. I self-extricated and walked away with two busted ribs and no other injuries. It would not have been good for anyone in the passenger seat, had there been anyone, but, the factory unreinforced frame rail stopped the penetration of the tree into the cabin dead.

Now, would subframes have helped here? Who knows. I do know this accident was viewed by emergency personnel attending as likely non-survivable and that these practical experts could not believe I walked out on my own, essentially uninjured.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1857.JPG
Views:	430
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	503585   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1859.JPG
Views:	981
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	503593   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1862.JPG
Views:	611
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	503601   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1863.JPG
Views:	749
Size:	129.4 KB
ID:	503609  

2014 Premium GT, SGM, Brembo, Auto, Tech, Comfort, etc. GT500s, Steeda UCA, VMP auto tune, 100 shot on BBR tune, best et: 11.38 at 120.85

2012 GT, Candy Red, Brembo, 3.73, Tech, Comfort, etc. Procal tune, Roush upper, UMI LCAs, Steeda red bracket, GT500s, 28X10X16 Hoosier slicks, best et: 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
PONY Member

Not necessary on these cars.

2015 Mustang GT Premium Sold

2011 Mustang GT Premium Sold

2003 Mach1 Sold
2.3 Whipple, fully built motor with all the bolt-ons 718 rwhp/735 rwtq Sold
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
I put UMI bolt-ins in mine as the first mod for the piece of mind, it didn't add much weight and I didn't have to drill any holes for the install. Seemed like they made a difference stock so I'd think they're an even bigger help now that I'm S/Ced.

Jason

'14 F150 4x4 SuperCrew 302

SOLD
'11 GT MT w/ 3.73s and some bolt-ons
550 RWHP / 490 RWTQ
11.94 @ 123, 1.84 60 ft.
Wannabe Sleeper
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02_GT_5spd View Post
I put UMI bolt-ins in mine as the first mod for the piece of mind, it didn't add much weight and I didn't have to drill any holes for the install. Seemed like they made a difference stock
Made a difference based on what?

2015 Mustang GT Premium Sold

2011 Mustang GT Premium Sold

2003 Mach1 Sold
2.3 Whipple, fully built motor with all the bolt-ons 718 rwhp/735 rwtq Sold
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmach View Post
Made a difference based on what?
The car felt more firm/solid when I pushed it hard. Things really came together when I added the strut tower brace and the rear shock tower brace.

Jason

'14 F150 4x4 SuperCrew 302

SOLD
'11 GT MT w/ 3.73s and some bolt-ons
550 RWHP / 490 RWTQ
11.94 @ 123, 1.84 60 ft.
Wannabe Sleeper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page