Stock vs. ProCal vs. Bama - 2011 Mustang GT Dyno Results - Page 6 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phack View Post
Need some clarification here...

American Muscle has the following on their site:

"Performance (87-93 octane) Tune"

Does that mean they would supply me with one tune that's capable of running anything from 87-93 octane, or are they saying they have specific tunes available that you can select the octane rating you want to run, from 87-93, such as:

Option 1: Performance 87

Option 2: Performance 91

Option 3: Performance 93

Thanks.
When you complete your order they will send you an email to fill out a sheet to describe what you want. You have options for octane for each of the tunes. I picked 89 for street and 93 for perf and race.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Apprentice

As long as you get the lifetime tunes which I highly recommend they can customize to what ever you want. In other words I currently have a 91 oct street tune with shifting and fan temps modified. Many options and combinations are possible - for example I could have a 87 oct street, 91 race tune. Another example is, maybe I like my street tune for DD and may want:
#1 - 87 oct street
#2 - 91 oct street
#3 - 93 oct race
Any of the three what you want - SCT even allows you to name them. For example my #1 is "91 Street - version 6". Don't get hung up on the initial names of street, perf and race !
Now if you buy the NON lifetime tunes you pick the octane for each, #1 (street), #2 (perf), #3 (race) and that's it, one time affair.
Hope this helps.

Last edited by BillAz5.0; 01-30-2011 at 04:37 PM. Reason: sp
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by icckart View Post
Could you please explain what appears to me to be a conflict in these two statements? If your tunes leave plenty of ability to "pull" (I assume you mean retard) timing when the PCM's knock algorithm detects detonation, why are the tunes octane specific and why can you only "putz" around (avoiding mid throttle) when running the 93 tune on 91 gas??? What in the world then would happen if you had to run on 89 or 87 octane?

BadSector (in the RPM "roof" thread) had what seemed like a reasonable explanation of this: You have SO much timing advance on the tunes (to get max. gains), that the default knock retard algorithm (which you probably can't change - maybe some parameters?) is not able to "pull" enough timing to avoid detonation when running lower octane (or bad gas). His theory, but it seems plausible.

SO... What's the true story on this tune vs. octane issue. Is it SAFE to run a Bama (or Brenspeed or FRPP or ???) 91/93 tune on LOWER octane gas? If you don't "putz" but actually stop on it (i.e. hard loading) what happens?
Chris? what happened -you were engaged here and left? You always have good, honest answers - a good question you might be able to answer?

PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Just wanted to chime in on this also.

I spoke with Ford Racing Support on the issue of their tune having a slight pinging.

They basically told me the following:
  • They are aware of the pinging
  • It is working as designed
  • The knock sensors are doing their job and retarding timing
  • The timing is advanced once the pinging stops
  • They have 1000s of hours on these tunes and know better than anyone how to tune their vehicles
  • They have the equivalent of over 200K miles of testing on these tunes which is why they give a warranty with them
  • There will be no updated tunes available as they make one for each model car, period

Current Ride: 2014 RAM 1500 SPORT
Toy: 89 RX7-Turbo (Future LS Swap)
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Another follow up.

I had the car dynoed today. 93 Shell octane fuel, SAE corrected, everything turned off (advance track, traction control), 5th gear pull.

384.01 HP
361.5 Torque

Only item I have besides tune is GT500 mufflers which I do not think add anything. I can confirm the car runs lean and will post the graph on Monday when I can scan it.

Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Forgive me if this is a noob question, but I thought tunes were supposed to give you gains of 30+ HP. I'm seeing a 15 HP difference. Am I missing something?
Apprentice

What is really cool about the new 5.0 is that it is not all about top end HP. Let's say the typical top end HP gain from a tune is 16 to 22 HP but the beauty is in the fact that just above 4000 rpm you can have a 33 HP gain ! This is what we call 'Power Under the Curve' - it's what really matters and why these cars run mid 12s with just a tune.
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by undrtkr View Post
Forgive me if this is a noob question, but I thought tunes were supposed to give you gains of 30+ HP. I'm seeing a 15 HP difference. Am I missing something?
On a naturally aspirated car, a tune is not going to get you anywhere near those gains unless the factory seriously de-limited it.

What you might be seeing is the stock 87 octane rating versus a tuned 93 octane rating which would not be a fair comparison but a lot of companies do this.

PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Here is the dyno chart.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2011 Mustang GT Dyno Sheet Color.jpg
Views:	3082
Size:	181.6 KB
ID:	123410  

Apprentice

Does that AFR show above 14 all the time?
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by konablue5oh View Post
Does that AFR show above 14 all the time?
Looks like it to me.

Air-fuel ratio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I had to google to see if that is acceptable and it seems to be according to wikipedia. It seems to travel closer to 15 at times which I guess is why people say it gets lean.

Apprentice

I thought that when you go WOT like on a dyno run the AFR should go somewhat rich - between 12-13.
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless View Post
I spoke with Ford Racing Support on the issue of their tune having a slight pinging.
So did you all hear any pinging noise during the pulls?
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Waitng for answers to the fans staying on for some folks. I'm in the market for a programmer and custom tune...not sure which way to go though..might just save my money and go with an FRPP whipple setup if this is all dangerous. That way I get a power train warranty.

2011 5.0 Performance White Premuim 3.73 6spd manual HID Heated Seats bone stock (for now)
9/2010 build date
daddydGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMChrisRose View Post
We agree. Our intentions were never to hurt FRPP. That's just the way the results came out. Everything was done in the same gear, all tests were done the same way. You can see they were all done within a degree of each other, same SAE correction factor (.99), same humidity. This was as fair and controlled as a test is going to get.

We installed the ProCal tool the same way as any consumer would, with no tricks (man that thing loads slow). There were no differences.
I have the frpp procal tune and k&n filter and I gained 15rwhp from stock with my dyno runs! So that is false info you gave.....I wouldn't try and push your Nama tunes so hard...if people want them they will get them.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
2011 mustang , bama , dyno , procal , results

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page