Stock vs. ProCal vs. Bama - 2011 Mustang GT Dyno Results - Page 8 - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member
5.0L Member
 
white_stallion's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Denver
Posts: 956
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless View Post
I am not the expert, but have always been told anything CAT back is not going to really affect anything. Helps with sound, but not performance. I can tell you I have GT500 mufflers with mine and no problems.

Also, it seems that a CAI is pretty much a waste as the stock CAI does a good job.

A third party CAI is also going to be a warranty issue if you care about that.

If it were me and I definitely wanted a CAI/Tune combo, then I would stick with ones that have been proven together. Just keep in mind that your warranty is subject to problems depending on the dealership you use.
Right CAI might get 10HP if it doesn't throw a cell without the tune..with the tune who knows how reliable... cat back...I keep seeing 7 HP for axle back and another 3 HP for an x pipe with no tune... plus save 20 lbs or so on the axle backs...cat back from say Borla about the same...

I might just do a Borla catback then the FRPP tune and call it a day...I do think it is odd they put a K&N filter in with the FRPP tune.


2011 5.0 Performance White Premuim 3.73 6spd manual HID Heated Seats bone stock (for now)
9/2010 build date
white_stallion is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
daddydGT
Guest
 
daddydGT's Avatar
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by ready4-2011 View Post
"it's a way safer tune than a bama tune!"

DaddydGT,

How is your Ford Racing tune safer than a Bama tune? Do you base this on some evidence or is it your opinion? If it is your opinion, what do you base this off of? Please enlighten us.
It is a safer tune because for one it didnt void my warranty like a race bama tune will in Canada! Well my dealers anyway! And two it's kinda common sense that a bama race tune or any aggressive tune that gives you 40+hp more than stock pushes your car way harder than it was meant to run....I'm not saying it will ruin your car! But the car wasn't meant to run with all those parameters raised as high as that! More fuel, more air, more spark, raised rev limiter, firmer shifts are all setting you up for problems in the future, maybe not near future but the car won't last as long as a stock car ran the same way!! And you haven't heard of any problems cause it's a 2011 car and it's still 2011 lol wait another 5-10 years and ask someone with a 93 octane tune how many times he has been to the shop and how much he has paid for repairs!! In my old 07 I had to replace so many parts because if my aggressive tune! That's why I'm only using the frpp procal tune this time.

PONY Member
5.0L Member
 
white_stallion's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Denver
Posts: 956
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddydGT View Post
It is a safer tune because for one it didnt void my warranty like a race bama tune will in Canada! Well my dealers anyway! And two it's kinda common sense that a bama race tune or any aggressive tune that gives you 40+hp more than stock pushes your car way harder than it was meant to run....I'm not saying it will ruin your car! But the car wasn't meant to run with all those parameters raised as high as that! More fuel, more air, more spark, raised rev limiter, firmer shifts are all setting you up for problems in the future, maybe not near future but the car won't last as long as a stock car ran the same way!! And you haven't heard of any problems cause it's a 2011 car and it's still 2011 lol wait another 5-10 years and ask someone with a 93 octane tune how many times he has been to the shop and how much he has paid for repairs!! In my old 07 I had to replace so many parts because if my aggressive tune! That's why I'm only using the frpp procal tune this time.
I agree with your logic...parameters are set by the factory to make it last...keep from warranty issues...keep it in engineering tolerences ect...

however even if the FRPP procal tune isn't as aggressive that doesn't mean it won't push the car hard enough to cause issues down the road after your warranty is up.

Also from experience with my Cobalt, I have a stage 2 kit with GMPP tune. The tune ran way too rich...better to run rich than lean I know but that can still cause problems. I ended up dropping pulley sizes raising the boost and then another tune....she ran great...no problems...doesn't mean it would last 200K but it lasted over 50K and showed no signs of slowing down. The custom tunes for that care were as good if not better than the GMPP tune....just a different perspective to offer.

I am however hearing about some issues with the aftermarket tunes out there for the new 5.0. It might take some time to dial in this new power train.

2011 5.0 Performance White Premuim 3.73 6spd manual HID Heated Seats bone stock (for now)
9/2010 build date
white_stallion is offline  
 
PONY Member
 
erod550's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 437
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddydGT View Post
It is a safer tune because for one it didnt void my warranty like a race bama tune will in Canada! Well my dealers anyway! And two it's kinda common sense that a bama race tune or any aggressive tune that gives you 40+hp more than stock pushes your car way harder than it was meant to run....I'm not saying it will ruin your car! But the car wasn't meant to run with all those parameters raised as high as that! More fuel, more air, more spark, raised rev limiter, firmer shifts are all setting you up for problems in the future, maybe not near future but the car won't last as long as a stock car ran the same way!! And you haven't heard of any problems cause it's a 2011 car and it's still 2011 lol wait another 5-10 years and ask someone with a 93 octane tune how many times he has been to the shop and how much he has paid for repairs!! In my old 07 I had to replace so many parts because if my aggressive tune! That's why I'm only using the frpp procal tune this time.
40hp from a tune is not pushing your car past safe limits. If that was the case, Ford would not be offering dealer-installed superchargers which keep the factory warranty in tact and add over 100hp. This car's powertrain is not even close to maxed out from the factory and adding a little power with some bolt-ons is not going to make your car blow up at 50k miles. If the tune is not well-written, of course it can damage your car, but the people making the tunes are not going to make them so aggressive that your car will be damaged.

2011 Kona Blue Mustang GT Premium Coupe - 401A, 6MT, Brembo, Comfort, Security, HIDs, Rear Camera
Steeda CAI, Magnaflow X-Pipe, Bama tune, Flowmaster Hushpower Axle-Backs, Ford Racing 4.10s, Barton Shifter & Bracket, JLT Oil Separator, BMR LCAs & Relocation Brackets, Steeda Adjustable UCA
13.31 @ 109.6 at 7,383' DA
erod550 is offline  
Apprentice
 
ready4-2011's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Northern California
Posts: 64
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddydGT View Post
It is a safer tune because for one it didnt void my warranty like a race bama tune will in Canada! Well my dealers anyway! And two it's kinda common sense that a bama race tune or any aggressive tune that gives you 40+hp more than stock pushes your car way harder than it was meant to run....I'm not saying it will ruin your car! But the car wasn't meant to run with all those parameters raised as high as that! More fuel, more air, more spark, raised rev limiter, firmer shifts are all setting you up for problems in the future, maybe not near future but the car won't last as long as a stock car ran the same way!! And you haven't heard of any problems cause it's a 2011 car and it's still 2011 lol wait another 5-10 years and ask someone with a 93 octane tune how many times he has been to the shop and how much he has paid for repairs!! In my old 07 I had to replace so many parts because if my aggressive tune! That's why I'm only using the frpp procal tune this time.
So, your evidence is that you had an old 07 that had an aggressive tune and needed a lot of parts replaced, therefor it was caused by the aggressive tune? Did your mechanic tell you this? and is this the only evidence with which you make your claim? Just trying to make sure we are all properly informed on this tune thing and the differences between them.

As far as warranty is concerned, a lot of it comes down to which dealership you take the car to. My dealership is very mod friendly

2011 GT premium/Auto Trans./Ford Racing 3.73 gear/Airaid Intake/Bama tunes/Koni STR-T/Steeda sport springs/Steeda UCA, LCA, and adjustable panhard bar/Borla Atak cat-back/Steeda 14" brake kit on front and 13" brake kit on rear wheels, UPR catch-can...
ready4-2011 is offline  
PONY Member
5.0L Member
 
white_stallion's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Denver
Posts: 956
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ready4-2011 View Post
So, your evidence is that you had an old 07 that had an aggressive tune and needed a lot of parts replaced, therefor it was caused by the aggressive tune? Did your mechanic tell you this? and is this the only evidence with which you make your claim? Just trying to make sure we are all properly informed on this tune thing and the differences between them.

As far as warranty is concerned, a lot of it comes down to which dealership you take the car to. My dealership is very mod friendly
Valid point with what caused the failures of the 07...was it the tune...bad luck...bad parts...dishonest mechanic...abusive driving...hard driving/hard miles...ect...

Yes your dealership will make or break you on mods vs warranty vs service...some shops won't even look at a car with a CAI on it...others don't care if they are looking at a suspension issue if you have a CAI...I've seen places refuse to fix suspension issues because of a CAI so stupid...

2011 5.0 Performance White Premuim 3.73 6spd manual HID Heated Seats bone stock (for now)
9/2010 build date
white_stallion is offline  
daddydGT
Guest
 
daddydGT's Avatar
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by ready4-2011 View Post
So, your evidence is that you had an old 07 that had an aggressive tune and needed a lot of parts replaced, therefor it was caused by the aggressive tune? Did your mechanic tell you this? and is this the only evidence with which you make your claim? Just trying to make sure we are all properly informed on this tune thing and the differences between them.

As far as warranty is concerned, a lot of it comes down to which dealership you take the car to. My dealership is very mod friendly
Actually I'm a mechanic! That is my evidence...the problems in my 07 were cause by the cai and the aggressive tune! End of story. I work on my cars myself.....I dont need a ****** ford licensed tech to tell me that when I have more training and wayore experience with mustangs then they do.
PONY Member
5.0L Member
 
white_stallion's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Denver
Posts: 956
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddydGT View Post
Actually I'm a mechanic! That is my evidence...the problems in my 07 were cause by the cai and the aggressive tune! End of story. I work on my cars myself.....I dont need a ****** ford licensed tech to tell me that when I have more training and wayore experience with mustangs then they do.
Do you think that a CAI period even with the correct tune say from Steeda for their intake is going to be too aggressive and hurt the power train long term? Where as the FRPP with the KN drop in and tune is conservative enough (even with running a little lean and pinging) to keep the car relatively within specs for the long haul? Long Haul meaning 150K to 250K miles.

2011 5.0 Performance White Premuim 3.73 6spd manual HID Heated Seats bone stock (for now)
9/2010 build date
white_stallion is offline  
daddydGT
Guest
 
daddydGT's Avatar
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by white_stallion View Post
Do you think that a CAI period even with the correct tune say from Steeda for their intake is going to be too aggressive and hurt the power train long term? Where as the FRPP with the KN drop in and tune is conservative enough (even with running a little lean and pinging) to keep the car relatively within specs for the long haul? Long Haul meaning 150K to 250K miles.
If you wan my honest opinion, I think that if you want an extra 40hp that a tune creates and your worried about a trouble free 150k-200k...I would spend a little more on a different mod like a full exhaust with headers and everything and just a change to the computer to accommodate those changes..... Or if you really want a tune the frpp procal is as safe for longevity as your gonna get.....
daddydGT
Guest
 
daddydGT's Avatar
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by white_stallion View Post
Do you think that a CAI period even with the correct tune say from Steeda for their intake is going to be too aggressive and hurt the power train long term? Where as the FRPP with the KN drop in and tune is conservative enough (even with running a little lean and pinging) to keep the car relatively within specs for the long haul? Long Haul meaning 150K to 250K miles.
But i would say that steeda has way more tuning experience with mustangs than the bama team....but either way if a tune is what you want and want longevity stay with the street tunes and stay away from excessive use of race tunes.....
GT Member
 
cababah's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 1,305
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddydGT View Post
Or if you really want a tune the frpp procal is as safe for longevity as your gonna get.....
I (as well as my tuner) have to respectfully disagree with this due to my experience with loud engine pinging with this tune on both octane adjustment settings as well as other users that have/are experiencing ping.

I think most of the FRPP gives you some responsiveness but not really that much power..in some cases you lose peak hp.

2011 Mustang GT 5.0 Coupe/Brembos/3.73

"I'm also 6'5" and 270 lbs. and could crush a person's bones with my bare hands"
-Jozsefsz


cababah is offline  
daddydGT
Guest
 
daddydGT's Avatar
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by cababah View Post
I (as well as my tuner) have to respectfully disagree with this due to my experience with loud engine pinging with this tune on both octane adjustment settings as well as other users that have/are experiencing ping.

I think most of the FRPP gives you some responsiveness but not really that much power..in some cases you lose peak hp.
Like I said keep factory warranty, less hp cause safer tune, and of course your tuner will disagree he makes money off of tuning your car and dyno testing it. I have the procal tune and no pinging! Just quicker shifts, better throttle response, a little more power, eliminates skip shift....all good.
daddydGT
Guest
 
daddydGT's Avatar
 
Posts: n/a
And I'm not cutting down other cai kits and other tuning companies! Just giving some knowledge I have learned over the year. The problem with a mail order "canned tuned" is they are tuned to a specific car and specific conditions and every car is different and all condition are different...like buying a tune from sunny Florida and using it on a different car in canada where it's -30 Celsius is not safe! So just because the tune is safe on the tuners company isnt running lean or rich on there car doesnt meen it's going to be the same on your car! All cars are different just like some make 367hp and some make 381 stock.
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member
 
guitarhurricane's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 963
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless View Post
Looks like it to me.

Air-fuel ratio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I had to google to see if that is acceptable and it seems to be according to wikipedia. It seems to travel closer to 15 at times which I guess is why people say it gets lean.
The 14.7 is based on theoretical stoichiometry. In a car, you want it to be slightly on the rich side of stoichiometric. You're losing power running around 14.7...peak power is attained at a ratio of around 12.5-13.1. You are producing less emissions at 14.7 though, compared to 12.5-13.1.

2011 Kona Blue 5.0 / 400A / MT82 / 3.55 / Brembo Pkg / Comfort Pkg / Security Pkg
Mods: Stuff
guitarhurricane is offline  
GT Member
 
cababah's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 1,305
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddydGT View Post
Like I said keep factory warranty, less hp cause safer tune, and of course your tuner will disagree he makes money off of tuning your car and dyno testing it. I have the procal tune and no pinging! Just quicker shifts, better throttle response, a little more power, eliminates skip shift....all good.
It is not a warranty kept through Ford motor company; it is a warranty from Ford Racing that will supposedly pay for a new engine should the tune be proven to have caused the failure.

I don't know about you but I would definitely get that checked out on a dyno before assuming everything is OK. You can't hear things as well while driving the car as opposed to standing beside the engine while it is going WOT. I would rather take a non-pinging factory engine that I know is backed by the actual Ford company over the FRPP pinging tune that only gave me an additional 10whp anyway.


2011 Mustang GT 5.0 Coupe/Brembos/3.73

"I'm also 6'5" and 270 lbs. and could crush a person's bones with my bare hands"
-Jozsefsz


cababah is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Closed Thread

Tags
2011 mustang , bama , dyno , procal , results

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in













Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
 


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1