2011 Mustang 5.0L Knocking On Cold Start/Drive - Page 3 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Rookie
5.0L Member
S197 Member

it knocks from 2500 4000 on cold start.you can still faintly here it after warm up.its always sounded like valve train or just like the cold knock recall gm had 8 or so years back on the vortech motors.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 323 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

UPDATE:
Got the car back and it was partially warmed up. I think I still hear the knock, but it warmed up to quick. I will see tonight or tomorrow for sure. More to come.

GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yllwfstbck View Post
it knocks from 2500 4000 on cold start.you can still faintly here it after warm up.its always sounded like valve train or just like the cold knock recall gm had 8 or so years back on the vortech motors.
If the timing tensioner works, there will be many folks who are happy an answer was found.

post #34 of 323 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

UPDATE... So no change. Cold, it makes the noise still. I wonder how they determined that the timing chain tensioner is bad on YLLWFSTBCK's car. That could very well make the sound that I am experiencing on my car.
GT Member

So how many engineers are available to got to dealers around the country to check these things out? Please. I have started to hear a slight tick now after 6 months. I'm not panicked, but I will be very upset if it gets worse.

Buy hey, I take my Cruze in on Monday (again) for tranny issues, so I'll check out a Camaro 2SS while I'm there.
Rookie
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCA2011GT View Post
UPDATE... So no change. Cold, it makes the noise still. I wonder how they determined that the timing chain tensioner is bad on YLLWFSTBCK's car. That could very well make the sound that I am experiencing on my car.
how it was explained to me they used some type of computer that has multipule sensours that pick up un engine harmonics.the first couple of times the computer didnt pick it up but the tech still heard the noise.finally the computer heard it.the tensioner was the region the noise was coming from.there pretty positive that this is correct but im not getting my hopes up.only time will tell.the part hasnt even been released by ford yet.sapposilly im the first to get one if this is the issue with the knocking noise.i got tired of dealimg with dealers bs answers so i went to where i new i would get a answer.ford engineering.it took a few phone calls but i finally got ahold of someone.the dealer takes orders from them and i get a phone call atleast every day on the progress of the car.if this works id be doing the same if i was you.i use to be a tech for chevy and i know how dealers work.they dont make much money on warrenty so the dont care about a end result.
post #37 of 323 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

UPDATE: I got a call from the service manager at the Ford dealer today telling me that Ford had contacted them with an acknowledgement of a cold knocking issue. They said that the fix has been released for the 2012's but not yet for the 2011's. According to them, its an issue with to much spark advance at cold temps. The fix is a flash update that retards the timing just a tad when cold. Hmmmm.... kinda makes sense but kind of doesn't. Makes me wonder, if all cars get the same version of of the software, why haven't more heard it? Also, why does the noise progressively get louder over time?

They said they would contact me when the TSB is released so we can try it on my car. I hope they remove the incredible lag in between gear shifts too!
Rookie
5.0L Member
S197 Member

they already did this to mine and it made it a turd.i lost gas milage.i put it on the dyno to see what kind of loss i had and it was huge at lower rpm.after talking to them and showing them results they did something about the powerloss because its back around where it was.
GT Member

Send a message via AIM to Fastredponycar
I know it doesn't really help the issue at hand here but this guy got a 100K power train warranty extension from his dealer.

Really Disappointed with Ford - Page 2 - SVTPerformance

I can understand dealership frustration because they have to be the middle man between you and ford and they get stuck in this "don't kill the messenger" position. I can see them wanting to take care of their customers but at the same time, I can imagine their frustration when they get off the phone with ford telling them to tell you the customer "it's normal. Deal with it"

Fingers crossed that ford actually know what the problem is and are fixing the 2012's.

I don't buy into the "all cars make noise and are hard to shift on cold mornings" bit though... None of my cars, my wifes cars, my parents cars or in-laws cars, etc have had ANY issues on cold mornings. Several of them have 150K miles or more.

2012 GT Premuim - Candy Metallic Red, MT82, Comfort package, Reverse Camera, Brembos and 3.73's.

Mods: JLT oil separator, Koni Sports, Steeda sport springs/HD strut mounts, GT500 Axleback, Air Raid CAI

373 RWHP / 356 TQ - Stock on 87 octane
Rookie
5.0L Member
S197 Member

ya,thats one thing ive tried not to do is piss off the middle man here.ive worked in service at a chevy dealer.i know what they have to deal with.i got ford involved because i know they will only do what ford will pay for.they suggested me to call ford.if they cant fix the problem and they say nothings wrong or could cause engine failure.im going to ask for a longer warrenty if they are so sure of it.hopefully the new part will fix the issue though(if it ever comes in).
GT Member

Agreed. The dealer rep I have been working with has been outstanding. Unfortunately, they cannot try any fix that Ford doesn't sanction.

However, the extended warranty thing is crap. How many of us will keep the car that long? And if you do drive it that long, would it make you feel good to have a warranty and a tick/knock/tap the for the entire 100k miles you are driving it? In my opinion, these issues are less about longevity and more about the car sounding like it should for $35k+.
GT Member

Send a message via AIM to Fastredponycar
Quote:
Originally Posted by cidsamuth View Post
In my opinion, these issues are less about longevity and more about the car sounding like it should for $35k+.
exactly. whether or not the engine is mechanically sound for a prolonged period of time or not is irrelevant to me. The NVH tolerances by ford are more than likely documented somewhere and the car must adhere to these specifications. If it doesn't, they have to correct it.

being a "performance" engine does not excuse them from it being quiet. I drove 3 different 5.0's. All of which had anywhere from 700 to 2000 miles on them and all 3 where quiet as a mouse.

2012 GT Premuim - Candy Metallic Red, MT82, Comfort package, Reverse Camera, Brembos and 3.73's.

Mods: JLT oil separator, Koni Sports, Steeda sport springs/HD strut mounts, GT500 Axleback, Air Raid CAI

373 RWHP / 356 TQ - Stock on 87 octane
Rookie
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cidsamuth View Post
Agreed. The dealer rep I have been working with has been outstanding. Unfortunately, they cannot try any fix that Ford doesn't sanction.

However, the extended warranty thing is crap. How many of us will keep the car that long? And if you do drive it that long, would it make you feel good to have a warranty and a tick/knock/tap the for the entire 100k miles you are driving it? In my opinion, these issues are less about longevity and more about the car sounding like it should for $35k+.
ill have this thing for a long time.besides the 2011,my 69 is the next car with the least miles.my old ranger i sold few years back had 380,000.know it has 420,000 and a buddy is still driving on the origanal 2.3.my wifes ranger has 270,000,blazer 220,000.my old 78 ford truck i have know clue how many miles.im sure around the world.i tend to keep them for awhile.i do agree about the noise for 35k
post #44 of 323 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

I too, plan on keeping the car for a long time... unless I come into some serious money, or Ford makes another Mustang that would make this one worth selling. I don't want it make this noise for the entire time, although thankfully its only for the first few minutes. I will try this fix when its published although, if there is no change other than lack of power, I will have them put the stock calibration back in. Hell, I can test this theory. I will take mine to the dyno shop and let my buddy detune the cold spark. That should tell me if the noise is going to go away. I tried to take some vids tonight of the noise, but its difficult to hear. The camera that picked it up best, started rattling on its mount. I will take another crack at it tomorrow.
Apprentice

I have the same noise. It's not a spark 'knock'. That sounds like a spark arcing. This is more like a metallic knocking.

Once the temp gauge is straight up, it doesn't do it.

I baby it until then. Don't like.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page