2011 Mustang 5.0L Knocking On Cold Start/Drive - Page 6 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Apprentice

Well, I guess the reason for so much concern, (and three threads), is because the noise should not happen in an engine that was supposed to have been put through rigorous testing and sounded like it was bullet-proof. That's why I bought an early one, against my better judgement. Now to have to listen to what sounds like metal on metal knocking in my engine doesn't sit well with me.
It's not spark related, and it's not a rotating noise. My best guess is a piston rocking in it's bore until thermal expansion tightens it up.
Some people may poo-poo that and say to just drive it easy until warm-up...........no problem.
But two things..........it just shouldn't do that, simple.
And.......at some point, it will do it when warmed and will fail.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Apprentice
S197 Member

Dragstart
I agree with you and I would like to hear from all other 5.0 owners on this issue.
Just how many others have this symptom (The Knocking).
If they all made this noise it might be considered a usual characteristic (not normal). The noise cheapens an other wise high quality performance product.
I compare it to a noisy rear end whine in several speed ranges and people saying it is normal. If a ring and pinion is proper quality and set up properly it will not make loud whining noises.
Case in point--My 2011 GT differential is hush quiet. Ford seems to be doing a great job on differential set up and quality.

PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I understand you guys and you have every right to have a car that is mechanically sound in every way shape and form.

especially a brand new car that you paid good money for.

I guess I'm just approaching things a little different with my car.

I've heard many strange noises but will not take my car to the dealer unless I have a failure of a part.I just installed UCA's/LCA's and I hear even more noises

I have just over 11K miles with no problems and will have my Kenne Bell blower done this week.I dont have much confidence in the dealers getting things fixed when you take your car in with a problem.

just look around the forums at all the people who had dealers just guess at solving problems only to have the issue return or get worse.

I say just turn your radio up or get louder exhaust and drive your Mustang untill you actually have a failure.

then use your warranty and have it fixed.

2011 Performance white base GT 6MT 3.73 gears(sold)

GT Member

I suspect that some do this and some don't because of "tolerance stack;" multiple parts manufactured within specified tolerance but, when each is at the outer limit of its respective tolerances, it's adds up to problems.
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastredponycar View Post
This guy claims that Ford replaced his engine.

YouTube - 2011 Mustang GT 5.0 engine tick

there's a related video with the exact same ticking sound coming from another guy's 5.0
could that tick be an injector noise????

Ordered: August 19, 2010
Rec'd VIN: Nov. 25th
Rec'd Window Sticker: Dec. 22, 2010
Build Date: Jan. 7, 2011
Delivered: Jan. 22, 2011

2011 GT, Manual Trans, Sterling Grey Metallic, Over-the-Top black stripe, 19" upgraded wheels, security and HID's
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCA2011GT View Post
Ok, here is a clip taken with my GoPro HD mounted under the hood of the car. The sound becomes pronounced at the 0:45 second mark. Even this does not do quite the justice of the actual sound, but you will see that it is indeed audible and annoying!

http://madavigne.com/knock.mov

There is obviously no picture because its dark, but its 720P @ 60FPS.

Crap! I've got exactly the same sound! Goes away after warmup.

It's too bad. I love this car. 2600Km, 1600mi. Engine noise, cold tranny clunking. Anyone guess what might be next??

2011 GT, Manual Trans, Sterling Grey Metallic, Over-the-Top black stripe, 19" upgraded wheels, security and HID's
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilla8 View Post
I understand you guys and you have every right to have a car that is mechanically sound in every way shape and form.

especially a brand new car that you paid good money for.

I guess I'm just approaching things a little different with my car.

I've heard many strange noises but will not take my car to the dealer unless I have a failure of a part.I just installed UCA's/LCA's and I hear even more noises

I have just over 11K miles with no problems and will have my Kenne Bell blower done this week.I dont have much confidence in the dealers getting things fixed when you take your car in with a problem.

just look around the forums at all the people who had dealers just guess at solving problems only to have the issue return or get worse.

I say just turn your radio up or get louder exhaust and drive your Mustang untill you actually have a failure.

then use your warranty and have it fixed.
Here's a question to ask the dealer then. "Two to three years from now when I come to you to trade in my 2011 Mustang for a new vehicle, are you going to lower the trade-in value because of these noises/problems?"

They probably won't know what to say. If so, I think you've got your answer.

Apprentice
S197 Member

This knocking sound is not something a new performance engine should emanate.
Apprentice
S197 Member

Just checking back with everyone on the engine knock issue. No new news?
Any more comments? Would like to hear from people who do not have this knocking noise too and specifics like miles and approx. build date.
Please help us by posting! Thanks.
Rookie
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I've been following this thread for a while and figured I should chime in. I just dropped mine off at the dealer last night to have the knock checked out. Not sure what they'll come up with...its a relatively small dealer, hoping for the best.

I believe mine was built in 9/10. I can't comment specifically when I started hearing the knock (it could have been there from the start, but I was so giddy about having the new car I wouldn't have noticed). I believe I first realized it was doing it somewhere around 1500 miles. I currently have 3500 on it now.

Loud knocking when cold in first second and third between 2000-3500 RPMs. And if you get on it in fourth, you can hear it, thought faint, from 3K up. I hope its not a serious problem, but it is really annoying.

2011 Mustang GT, Sterling Gray, 6 speed, 3.73, Roush Axle backs
Apprentice
S197 Member

I could see how a stick shift car with this symptom could really sound off while rowing the gears compared to an automatic. The automatic trans comes up into that range pretty much when accelerating out into highway speed (55 mph+) traffic before the engine is up to full temperature (takes several miles and minutes to warm up completely). Please keep us informed on the outcome with your Ford dealer.
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteshelby49 View Post
Just checking back with everyone on the engine knock issue. No new news?
Any more comments? Would like to hear from people who do not have this knocking noise too and specifics like miles and approx. build date.
Please help us by posting! Thanks.
Whiteshelby , I do not have this issue. My build date was 8/5. Current mileage is 1500. Had a dealer oil change at 1000 miles.

What I can say is that I have read all the posts and threads on this and the tick , tick. One thing I may have done different than others is, I loaded a Brenspeed tune on my car at 150 miles . Like two weeks into having the car home. Never really took notice of how it was from the factory...Since then I have adjusted that tune with Brenspeed but still , my car is not factory stock and really dont remember much about how the car sounded in the first two weeks of owning it with it totally stock.

I have read a lot lately about maybe its the Ford stock tune and timing paramters..That said, I am thinking, as soon as I turn my key, I am running a totally different timing and setup at 93 octane done by Brenspeed.

Again, I am just thinking out loud here, but yes, I have no problems with knocking or ticking.. only keeping my foot out of the beast when I have clear enough weather to drive this great car !!

Hope that helps..

Blueblaze
2011 GT 5.0 Premium Coupe, Kona Blue, Interior Charcoal /Grabber Blue ,6 speed MT, Comfort Group, ,Brembo Brakes , 3.73 Gears, Security Package, Shaker1000, Polk Speakers, CDC Chin Spoiler, JLT Oil Separator, Custom Grille layout, HID, Brenspeed 93 Tune /Steeda CAI , GT500 SVT Axle Backs
A new Beast in disguise…..
Rookie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUY_ZcVXaEg
is this the same noise you hear?
Rookie
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I just got a call from the dealer...apparently the knock could not be replicated and the oil was 1 quart low (I guess from break in). But the service tech also said that it is normal for these cars to burn 1 quart every 1000 miles for the life of the car...

As expected, nothing was accomplished. I'm hoping I can get there early enough today so I can have the tech ride along and I can point out the mystery noise that can't be reproduced...

2011 Mustang GT, Sterling Gray, 6 speed, 3.73, Roush Axle backs
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtkbko View Post
... But the service tech also said that it is normal for these cars to burn 1 quart every 1000 miles for the life of the car... .
Seriously? that's messed up.
The wife's Hyundai with 110k+ miles on it doesn't do that.
I can't remember owning a car that did that other than some wore out used cars.

I don't drive the Mustang much, I got the car early Jan and still using the gas the dealer put in it.
I do have the knock when it is cold and I have less than 300 miles on it.

2011 GT/CS white, 6MT, 3:55
Heartthrob cat-axle, GT500 AB
DSS Aluminum DS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page