2011 Mustang 5.0L Knocking On Cold Start/Drive - Page 8 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
GT Member

Send a message via AIM to Fastredponycar
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCA2011GT View Post
I am going to change my oil and filter this weekend and see if it has any effect. Not hopeful, but I will report any change.
I know it's a long shot but that may give the dealership a reason to not want to touch the engine. there are some really shady dealers that will give you the run around even for that stuff.

maybe have the dealer change the oil?

2012 GT Premuim - Candy Metallic Red, MT82, Comfort package, Reverse Camera, Brembos and 3.73's.

Mods: JLT oil separator, Koni Sports, Steeda sport springs/HD strut mounts, GT500 Axleback, Air Raid CAI

373 RWHP / 356 TQ - Stock on 87 octane
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxic281 View Post
YouTube - 2011 gt cold engine test drive
is this the same noise you hear?
Holy ****! Was the noise this audible without the microphone? Mine rattles for the first 10-15 minutes at around 2500-3K. It sounds like piston slap. I can't hear it at any other engine speed, but, it may just be drowned out by other noise/exhaust.

Travis

Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCA2011GT View Post
Not much of an update from me. I have been just driving the car and putting some miles on her to see if the noise changes at all. So far I am at 3800 miles now and the only thing that has had any effect on the knocking noise is the temperature on the morning start. Its been in the high 60's-low 70's here so my noise is not as loud, but still audible. Other than that, it has not changed at all. My dealer still has not called me yet to say that Ford released the fix for the 2011. I REALLY dont think its going to do anything, and I dont have the time or money to tear into the engine myself to do any diagnosis. Its killing me because I really want to figure this out. I am going to change my oil and filter this weekend and see if it has any effect. Not hopeful, but I will report any change.
Same here man.. I'm at 5K miles. Mine started making noise at about 12-1300 miles. It is much more pronounced when it was cold this past winter. Now that it's in the 70's, it's not nearly as loud. But, it's definitely still there. I'd be willing to bet that this is piston slap. And, I doubt that Ford is going to start changing out motors because of a rattle when cold. They're simply going to say it's "normal" for this engine. Just like GM did when they had piston slap issues.

FordService

Hey guys!!

This is Deysha from Ford Customer Service. Id like to look into this further for you. Could you please message me your contact info, mileage, dealer info, and VIN? Id like to see how I can help?

Deysha
post #110 of 323 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

UPDATE: I changed my oil this past weekend and the oil that came out was considerably darker and smellier than I would expect from a 3800mile engine. Anyway, I installed a WIX filter and 8 quarts of Mobil 1 Full Synthetic 5w-20. The knocking is still there, with no change at all. The range where I can hear it has extended... (before the oil change this was happening). I am able to hear all the way up to 4000rpms at which case the engines gets too loud to hear it. Changing oil types does not affect the noise. Anyone change the viscosity with any changes?
Rookie

I just dropped my car off at the dealer for this same problem. Car has less than 1000 miles on it. Well see what they say.
Apprentice

Another one here.

I took delivery of mine in Oct. and I first noticed it 2 or 3 days later.

Took it back to the dealership twice, and was on the phone several times with the service manager and as you might it expect was finally told a few weeks ago that " it's just piston slap which is normal for this motor."

It's going to be interesting to see if the 2012 5.0's have this "normal" piston slap.

$100 to a doghnut says the 2012's don't make this sound
Apprentice

JUST piston slap ????????????

Piston slap is normal............for an engine that is on it's last legs.
Rookie

Just got back from the dealer. Ford of course said it was a "normal operating characteristic" I started up another GT they had in the lot and sure enough it had the same knocking noise mine does.
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragstart View Post
JUST piston slap ????????????

Piston slap is normal............for an engine that is on it's last legs.
Piston slap is normal on engines with forged pistons when cold but I don't believe the Coyote has forged pistons so that shouldn't be an excuse.
GT Member

When it costs too much to fix, i.e. an expensive repair on potentially many cars, Ford is going to claim "normal operating characteristic."

Common does not make it normal. Absolutely shameful.
Apprentice
S197 Member

Warm up knock issue updates?

Any updates on the knock issue? Has anyone had any inspections or repair attempts for this issue with their Ford dealer?
Rookie

I found http://www.pistonslap.com Pretty interesting reading. I have been trying to get a hold of the Ford rep that was pmed to me but have been unsuccessful so far. I dont know if I should ignore this issue or pursue it. I know it sucks and I do believe it will affect the resale value of my car. I cant imagine trying to sell it and having to explain to the potential buyer that this noise is normal. Ford says it is. I wouldn't buy a car that sounds like this I would look somewhere else.
Apprentice

I don't know why but there seems to be posts that have been deleted from this thread for whatever reason. Oh well

I've had my noises documented at my dealer but that's about it, doesn't look like it's getting repaired anytime soon. Guess the lucky customer will just have to eat it.

This along with the horrible high rpm shifting of my 6spd is enough to make me just want to park this old beater on the wrong side of town and leave the keys in it.
post #120 of 323 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

According to my Ford Dealer, because this is a "virgin" motor, Ford will not authorize them to work on it without a specific fix from them. So, I imagine this is the same other places as well. They wont find a fix until someone voids their warranty for research purposes or the dealer takes the hit and tries to solve it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page