2011 Mustang 5.0L Knocking On Cold Start/Drive - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 323 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

2011 Mustang 5.0L Knocking On Cold Start/Drive

At about 1000 miles, my Coyote developed a top end knock at almost coast in gear within the first 5-7 minutes of driving. It sounds exactly like a loose valvetrain. The car now has 1600miles on it and I finally dropped it off at the dealership for repair. I figured I would begin a thread to follow this issue through to the end for anyone else that may experience this issue.

My car:
2011 Mustang GT 5.0L Base
6 speed MT82
Brembo Package
3.73:1 Diff

Driving history:
Special ordered the car from the factory but somehow it arrived with 47miles on it. I hit the pedal two or three times to seat the rings and then during the course of the next 700miles, the engine rarely saw over 3500rpms. I basically maw-mawed the car around. At around 750miles, I took it out for a drive and finally got on it, just punching it from about a 30mph roll and running through 4th. I did this about two or three times to test the brakes and then just carried on my normal driving style. At ~1000miles, the engine began making a light knocking noise under the conditions listed above. It progressively got worse up to 1600. After the car warms up, it would subside. So here is what I have so far:

UPDATE:
I dropped the car off at the dealer Monday after not driving it all weekend. It was about 50 degrees in my garage and 35 degrees outside. The engine made a racket for the first couple of minutes of driving (under the same scenarios as listed previously). The dealer called me and asked me to come down that afternoon and ride with the service manager so they could verify that they were hearing the same sound as me. We weren't even across the parking lot and he heard it, but we took a ride down the road and it really made noise. So he suggested, we drive another 5.0 they had on the lot to see if it makes the same noise. This California Special, that he was driving for a month, had 660 miles on it. We took it down the road and as soon as I got to about 3rd gear, you were able to faintly hear the noise in this engine as well. I told him that that is how mine started. He was very concerned at this point and we went in the office to talk it over. I told him my thoughts on what it sounds like and he explained that FMC told him that since this is a "virgin" (meaning the motor), that they wanted an engineer to come down and check it out. They didn't want the dealer tearing into it yet. So, they told me an engineer was scheduled to be there in the next day or so, and they would get back to me shortly. He sounded very concerned for the issue especially since Ford Customer Support was on the case. He said that when they get involved, they dont mess around. So about 1.5 hours after the visit, Ford Motor Company Customer Care called me and gave me an update that they had contacted the dealer for an update. They explained the process and said they would contact me again by Thursday, unless they had an explanation before.

As far as I am concerned, it sucks that I only got 3 weeks of easy driving and only a few romps on the pedal before this happened, but it appears that Ford is genuinely interested in making this right. We will see what happens........

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member
S197 Member

Thank you for the detailed update. I just went over 1200 miles, similar driving style, built 8/5, delivered 8/18. Had my first oil change, fingers crossed, no issues to report as of now with ,otor, tranny or clutch.

When was your car built?

Hope it all works out for you and please do keep us posted.

Good luck...

Blueblaze
2011 GT 5.0 Premium Coupe, Kona Blue, Interior Charcoal /Grabber Blue ,6 speed MT, Comfort Group, ,Brembo Brakes , 3.73 Gears, Security Package, Shaker1000, Polk Speakers, CDC Chin Spoiler, JLT Oil Separator, Custom Grille layout, HID, Brenspeed 93 Tune /Steeda CAI , GT500 SVT Axle Backs
A new Beast in disguise…..
post #3 of 323 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

My car was built 11/10 and delivered 12/1/10. I am going to call for an update today.

SHELBY GT 500 Member

You have plenty of company. https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...ems-again.html

AFM Site Administrator
2006 Tungsten Grey Mustang GT Manual.
Alpine H/U with Infinity speakers.
Powerhouse CAI and Tune.
Previous Mustangs:
1978 2.8 L, 1979 5.0, 1982 5.0 "HO", 1986 5.0 GT

Don't wait for tomorrow to look back and wish for today
post #5 of 323 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcfrisch View Post
Yeah I read about his. His is a little different than mine. He has a definitive tick in his motor where I have a knock. Still not good either way, but I have not found anyone with the same problem as me, except for another car on the lot that I bought mine from, ironically.
Rookie
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I've got the same problem.its been it now for the fourth time.I finally got tired of the bs answers from the dealer and got ford involved.a ford rep went with me yesterday and sappose to let me know what's going on after he talks to some engineers.if you here something keep me posted.im tired of hearing well there's been no other complaints according to ford.
Rookie

Same here. I changed my oil last week at 5k, and quickly heard the "infamous" engine tick. This morning I heard some knocking, as I was pulling into the parking garage. I lifted my hood and revd it a couple time and heard a tick and knock. talk about WTF !!.. of course my camaro ss driving buddy pulled in right behind me and asked "what is all that noise". I will be at the dealership friday.

__________________________________________________ ____
2011 GT 5.0, Performance White, 6MT,401A, Brembo Pkg, Security Pkg, Shaker 1000, K&N Drop-In, Royal Purple Syn
Oil/Filter, Born 5/12/10
post #8 of 323 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

UPDATE:
I went down to the dealership for a face to face with the service manager yesterday, and he mentioned that he had been in contact several times with an FSE (Field Service Engineer is what I guess it stands for). He was told by Ford that there is no publicly released information on any issues seen like this nor any fixes that are associated with it. He said that this doesn't mean they have not SEEN this problem, just no official public acknowledgement of the issue or a fix. He said that he felt leery about opening up my motor and digging around on a whim without talking to me face to face and getting us all on the same page. I told him that I was fairly confident that if they pull the valve covers, they are going to find SOME issue under there, and if it hadnt been for the warranty, I would have already had them off. Its too noisy not find one. Anyway, I told that as long as Ford stands behind their vehicle and makes it right, even if it is pissing in the wind until the problem is found, then I have no problems with my car being a test mule of sorts to find this issue. I am pretty astute to these types of things after building engines and working on cars for 10 years so, if it takes me helping them to find the problem that may help someone, then I am willing to do it. I granted them permission to pull the valve covers and retorque the cam caps. I also asked them to check the valve lash and see if there is any difference before and after. He said he was going to try to get a set of valve cover gaskets there by Friday and see what the result was. I just called and left them a message for an update. I will post more when I find out.
Rookie
5.0L Member
S197 Member

i got word today also that i have to take mine in mon.a ford engineer wants them to check the timing chain tentioners.im like you.it sounds like valve lash issues or the piston slap that gm had back on the vortec motors
post #10 of 323 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

The funny thing is, I have read several posts pertaining to all kinds of issues where Ford has come back and told the dealer to try this and try that. When my dealer called Ford, they didn't get told anything to try. Weird.
Apprentice

Anyone have any sounds clips of the engine knock?
GT Member

Hey SCCA,

As you stated, your issue does not sound like the "ticks" I have posted about on this forum.

However, it does sound like another issue I have, but haven't wrote much about. Others have complained too.

It is what some are calling "piston slap" and occurs only when cold. Look here:

Piston noise before warmed up..? - SVTPerformance

And here:

Really Disappointed with Ford - SVTPerformance
GT Member

Note, they tried to tighten my cam caps to fix the tick (not the "piston slap"), but it did not help.

As for Ford's weird responses, after everything I've been through, I have no faith that they are even trying to fix these abnormal noises.

They might even know how to fix them, but I'm convinced that they have decided the expense outweighs the benefits.

They'll probably fix them for the 2012 models.
post #14 of 323 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Those guys sound like they have the same problem as me. I feel like I am in a focus group here for an addiction or something. So far no fix yet. Waiting to here back from the dealer on what they found under my vlave covers. The service manager sent me some pics which I will post later. In the pictures, looking at those cam phasers, i started to wonder if they might be whats making the noise. I dont believe its piston slap because its too high in the motor. Hopefully I will hear back from the dealer today.
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cidsamuth View Post
Hey SCCA,

As you stated, your issue does not sound like the "ticks" I have posted about on this forum.

However, it does sound like another issue I have, but haven't wrote much about. Others have complained too.

It is what some are calling "piston slap" and occurs only when cold. Look here:

Piston noise before warmed up..? - SVTPerformance

And here:

Really Disappointed with Ford - SVTPerformance
I have this sound as well.
I showed it to my Ford service dept and they documented that I have this sound in case I have a future problem related to it.
They also told me that many have come in with this same issue but they don't know what it is.
I'm not really worried about it. I just keep it under 2500k rpm's until warmed up it case it is damaging for now.

2012 5.0 Brembo, AED Performance Tune, Lethal Off-Road X, GT500 AB, 3.73, Airaid cai, GT500 SW :yelpleased:
2014 CX-5 Touring
Gone but not forgotten:
2011 Mustang GT|GT500 AB |FRPP Tune|6A
2010 Rav4 V6 | 07 Mazdaspeed3| 04 SRT4| 99 GSXR 750
2012 Camaro SS L99 Gone and forgotten
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page