Oil catch can questions - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
Oil catch can questions

I have read all the threads I could find on this, but it still leaves some questions. It looks to me that the 2011 5.0 has 2 PCV valves. One on the passenger side and one on the drivers side. Looking at the service manual it only addresses the passenger side PCV valve.
It appears the passenger side connects to the intake manifold itself which would provide sealed vacum from the engine. The drivers side appears to connect to the CAI at a point just before the throttle body connection and uses a larger diameter hose.

My question is why not then install Catch cans on both sides as they both have the potential of streaming oil back into the manifold?
And are there really 2 PCV valves. Since I don't have a car to look at(ordering 2012)and I'm trying to aquire parts be it arrives.
THANKS................TC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011
SHELBY GT 500 Member

Not sure about the 5.0 needing a oil catch can. But you won't get any oil on the passenger side.

AFM Site Administrator
2006 Tungsten Grey Mustang GT Manual.
Alpine H/U with Infinity speakers.
Powerhouse CAI and Tune.
Previous Mustangs:
1978 2.8 L, 1979 5.0, 1982 5.0 "HO", 1986 5.0 GT

Don't wait for tomorrow to look back and wish for today
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011
Apprentice

Maybe the LH is the primary circulation for everyday driving & RH is a secondary for higher pressure deviations such as WOT? Your guess is as good as mine but I am curious.

I do have a the JLT seperator & it's on the LH side. I don't think they make a RH one for 2011s.

2011 GT Premium, Performance White/Saddle w/Bremos, 3.73s, & comfort pkg.

Airaid, Magnaflow Comp cat-back, JLT separator, Barton shifter/bracket, GT500 splash guards, CDC chin spoiler, SS 'Eleanor' grill, Roush splitters

Two wheeled ride-
2008 Triumph Tiger 1050 Jet Black <---street duty
Hence Threebanger!

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011
GT Member

I think it's the high compression of the 5.0 that causes blow by..I have the JLT piece and it gets some oil. according to jay from JLT, most of the blow by comes from passenger PCV (80%). he claims he only saw oil on the drivers side when doing a road course event and none while driving normally on the street so last I heard JLT still isn't sure the will release a kit for drivers side PCV...also I'm not so certain these lines are vacuum; the oem hoses don't look like vacuum lines at all

2011 Mustang GT 5.0 Coupe/Brembos/3.73

"I'm also 6'5" and 270 lbs. and could crush a person's bones with my bare hands"
-Jozsefsz

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threebanger View Post
Maybe the LH is the primary circulation for everyday driving & RH is a secondary for higher pressure deviations such as WOT? Your guess is as good as mine but I am curious.

I do have a the JLT seperator & it's on the LH side. I don't think they make a RH one for 2011s.
Doh! re-reading my post I realized my logic at the time was looking at the motor from the front. Switch my LH & RH for true location on the vehicle. I apologize for being a hot mess.

Airaid, Magnaflow Comp cat-back, JLT separator, Barton shifter/bracket, GT500 splash guards, CDC chin spoiler, SS 'Eleanor' grill, Roush splitters

Two wheeled ride-
Hence Threebanger!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011
Apprentice

Just took mine off for the 1st time and it had about 2/3 a teaspoon in it. This is after less that 150 miles mixed of normal driving & playing around.

Two wheeled ride-
Hence Threebanger!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
So I guess the answer is no one really knows for sure. Is the hose sze 5/16" on both sides. Thanks everyone for your responses.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011
Apprentice

You can not go wrong with a catch can. It was my first mod on the Mustang.

Long story short: I was datalogging my previous '07 SRT8 Charger and could not figure out why the PCM was pulling timing (thus reducing power) at high rpm. I installed a catch can and, sure enough, my timing was rock steady. The oil coming in through the pcv system was contaminating the intake charge.

I didn't even mess around with the Mustang, JLT catch can installed on day 2 of ownership.

Rob

2011 Mustang GT Premium, 6spd, Brembo - 12.51 @ 115.53 mph on street tires

Gone but not forgotten: '07 SRT8 Charger, '04 STi, '01 Camaro SS

Life Member: Veterans of Foreign Wars
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011
PONY Member

IIRC....the passenger side is the "primary" PCV pulling from the crankcase, the driver's side is the inlet supplying clean filtered air into the crankcase (except during WOT when both probably are pulling)...so a can is only really needed on the passenger side.

2011 Kona Blue/Charcoal GT, 400A Premium,6sp MT, HID's, Security Package, Comfort Package, 3.73's, Koni SRT/SteedaSports+Panhard, GT500 Mufflers
'06 Mazda Tribute,'05 Honda ST1300
'03 Yamaha FZ1000 '98 '00 '02 '04 Ford Expedition
'93 Buick Regal '90 Ford Explorer '87 F-250HD Diesel
'85 Yamaha FJ1100 '83 Honda NightHawk 650
'80 Olds Cutlass '70 Ford LTD
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
Thanks Drew that's the answer I was looking for.
PONY Member

Is installing an oil catch can relatively easy? And possibly fairly inexpensive?
GT Member

it is a very easy and fast install especially if you dont have a strut brace...probably takes 1 minute with no strut brace.

however, if you do have a strut brace it is recommended that you take it off so that you can lift the engine cover high enough to get to the intake side of the passenger PCV fastener. i said "f*** that" and just kept my strut brace on and the engine cover lifted up a few inches just enough for me to access it without taking off the brace.

sadly, it took me 5 min

2011 Mustang GT 5.0 Coupe/Brembos/3.73

"I'm also 6'5" and 270 lbs. and could crush a person's bones with my bare hands"
-Jozsefsz

PONY Member

The JLT takes only a few minutes to install because it comes completely assembled with factory hoses. The UPR came in pieces so you have to assemble it and the instructions suck - only says to assemble the catch can and doesn't tell you how. It doesn't use stock hoses either. I sold the UPR and ordered the JLT which is much nicer in my opinion.
PONY Member

Thanks for the info on JLT... will be ordering

2011 5.0 GT 3.55 gears, Candy Apple, Steeda CAI and SCT Tune,Steeda Control Arms, LCA Relocation Bracket, Pan Hard Bar and Brace, Ultra Light Springs, 3rd Link, Camber Plates, Tokico D-Spec Struts/Shocks, Shifter, Barton Shifter Bushing, Flowmaster hush power. Steeda 18X9 Chrome Pentar/Nitto NT05 275/40/18. BBK long tubes and OR xpipe

2005 F150 SXT, OX Locker, 4.10 gears, Edge CS Tuner, 33x10 AT, K&N FIPK, Gibson Exhaust.
Apprentice

what causes the blow by? i have been catching a good amount in my car..

2012 Mustang GT Kona Auto un-open N/A motor 10.59 at 128.15MPH MIR 11/22/2014 CAI, UPR control arms, UPR K Member, BMR Rad delete, JBA LT, H pipe, 5C converter, 3.31 gears, K springs, Alum DS, CJ intake and TB, Welds RTS. E85 Corn 453rwhp & 386rwtq and 474rwhp & 404rwtq with FTW gas Tuned by Rev Auto in Maryland
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page