Radiator Protector - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Radiator Protector

I noticed that the lower part of the radiator (A/C condenser, I think) area is exposed to debris on my 2011 GT coupe, and decided to try the same protector used by dirt track racers - hopefully to avoid dents, and reduce bug build up.

Honey Comb Radiator Protectors

I ordered the 19" x 26" protector, and cut it down to cover the area below the bumper (about 7.5" high, width=radiator width), and secured it with zip ties at each end (looped around tubing at each side of the radiator). I removed the plastic radiator area top cover (snap fasteners) to slide the trimmed down protector into place. I have enough material left over to make a 2nd one, when needed.

I haven't seen any problems with overheating (even here in Arizona during the summer), and it's stayed secure for a 1200 mile road trip. I tried to get a photo from the front, and one from the top (looking down through the gap next to the hood latch).

I'm interested to know if anyone else has tried this approach, or something similar?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1080278.jpg
Views:	824
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	119123   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1080274.jpg
Views:	4929
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	119124  

2011 GT Coupe/MT82/Grabber Blue/Premium 401A/Anti-theft+HIDs/
Rear video/18" Polished Alum/3M Crystalline tint+clear bra/Hoen H10 fog/ES shifter bushing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

i like it, saves from the bugs

2011 Black GT Premium
Auto, 401A, Shaker 1000, Comfort Package,
18 inch rims, 50/50 Window Tint, Mrt
Rear hinged window louvers, 5.0 Flowmaster
American Thunders.
Boss Quad Exhaust
Ordered 2/9/10
Arrived 4/29/10
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011
PONY Member

Garage
Does it increase the operating temperature of that Coyote engine?

2016 GT Premium Coupe|Equipment Group 401A|GT Performance Package

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011
MACH I Member

Interesting idea. I may have to look into this. The only thing I would do different would be to use black zips...

2012 Ingot GT Premium / 401a / Reverse Sensing & Security / 3.73 Rear

Mods: CS Fascia w/Fogs / Saleen Grille / Flowmaster Hushpower AB / Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks / Steeda Sport Springs / Steeda HD Upper Mounts / BMR Adjustable Panhard / TPS Slotted Rotors / Hawk Pads / JLT Catch Can / Barton Shifter / Barton 2-Post Bracket / Airaid CAI / Rockers painted to match / HID Retrofit / Bama Baby!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011
PONY Member

Is that directly contacting the radiator core? If it is, I'd space it out. It'll eventually end up chafing and rubbing right through one of the core tubes. The nylon material that zip ties are made of can also saw through them, so I would think anything metal would be that much more of a no no.

2011 GT 6MT (Cookie Monster) - The 1/4 life crisis. Brembos, 401A, drop top, Grabber Blue.

1974 Dodge Challenger - The money pit. 408 SB stroker, Megasquirt 2 EFI, 904TF, 3.91 gears. 16MPG and 520HP goodness

2004 Hyundai Tiburon - The winter beater.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Yea i noticed all the bugs on mine yesterday, think ill just blow it off with the air compressor couple times a year.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Radiator Protector

I just cut a piece of window screen material about two (2) inches wider and taller than my radiator and secured it in front of the radiator. Its super cheap and keeps your radiator from becoming clogged with insects during the summer.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011
PONY Member

Garage
I know you said it has no overheating problems, but does it increase the operating temperature at all?

2016 GT Premium Coupe|Equipment Group 401A|GT Performance Package
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

I could not tell any difference on the temperature gauge with my honey comb screen on vs. off (100+ degrees ambient), when I first installed it, and no problems since then.

2011 GT Coupe/MT82/Grabber Blue/Premium 401A/Anti-theft+HIDs/
Rear video/18" Polished Alum/3M Crystalline tint+clear bra/Hoen H10 fog/ES shifter bushing
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal View Post
I just cut a piece of window screen material about two (2) inches wider and taller than my radiator and secured it in front of the radiator. Its super cheap and keeps your radiator from becoming clogged with insects during the summer.
I used chicken wire on my 04 cobra. one day driving a rock hit the condencer just right, saw the green ''pag'' pouring on the ground. thats all she wrote.

1993 south carolina ssp.
h/c/i 307rwhp 317rwtq.

2012 race red gt. 6m, 3.31
frpp tune. 374rwhp, 378rwtq.
one speeding ticket
GT Member
S197 Member

if you put an intercooler in front of it then you wont have to worry about it. just kidding LOL.

seriously i dont think that you need to worry about it being exposed. you might be unlucky and get hit my a rock and bust a leak on it but is highly unlikely

2011 Musang GT 6MT. Ford Racing 4.10 gears, TA Rear End Girdle, Boss 302 intake manifold, O/R x pipe, Ford Racing K springs, upr pro-series lca/uca/mount NGK 6510 gap to 0.32, ID 1000 injectors, KB Boost a pump, Paxton novi2200sl w 3.6 inch pulley 10psi. tuned by lund racing. unknown power.
Apprentice

I really thought about doing the same to protect my intercooler from rocks. Guess I'll make a trip to Lowes now.

2012 Black GT, 3.73 gears, Vortech kit, JLT intake, Lethal xpipe, JMS BAP, GT500 axel backs, MGW shifter
F91
GT Member
5.0L Member

Garage
AM has a lower billet grille on sale for 70$ Good airflow , fit and decent look. Had mine for a few years now.

2011 GT | MT82 | 3.73 | Brembos | Barton | Airaid | CDC chin | Corsa X pipe & Xtremes | DSS Aluminum Shaft | BMR Rear loop & LCA relocating brackets | J&M Extreme LCA | Koni Yellows | Steeda Sports | UMI Panhard | SCT & BAMA
"Yo, nutsack! Let me tell you something, man, muscle beats import every time. You know what I'm saying? Every time!" - Dwight
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by F91 View Post
AM has a lower billet grille on sale for 70$ Good airflow , fit and decent look. Had mine for a few years now.

I had this part, too before I installed the RTR Splitter ... it worked well, fit well, and never came loose.
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmike87 View Post
I had this part, too before I installed the RTR Splitter ... it worked well, fit well, and never came loose.
...and I got my clearanced out for $26 shipped...lol

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page