Ford Racing Suspension Kit...anyone install one yet? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

Ford Racing Suspension Kit...anyone install one yet?

Was looking to add a set of Steed Ultralight lowering springs just to give my car a better look, then figured if I'm going to pay someone to install springs may as well look to replace the shocks/struts with an adjustable variety as well. I found the Ford Racing adjustable kit M-FR3-MGTAA from Ford Racing Parts Direct for $1,450.00 including free shipping. Just wondering if anyone has installed this kit or might recommend something similar. The price above seems decent enough considering its $350.00 off the MSRP and includes free shipping. Anyway, any help or advice would be much appreciated...thanks in advance.

BTW I have the Brembro package and 3.73s

2011 Sterling Grey GT, manual, 401A, Brembro, 3.73, accessory package #5, Steeda CAI w/Brenspeed tune
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011
GT Member

Bought the kit before the car had arrived, had the dealer install it including front end alignment Lakewood Ford charged me 528.00.
To me, that was cheap to be installed by a professional. The dealer had my car an extra two days to install the kit.
The technician at Lakewood was rather excited he was doing it…
Meets the warranty by FRPP, but the bad thing… the factory parts have a 3 year 36000 mile warranty, The GT handling pack is a 1 year 12000 mile warranty…
If I had to do it again I would go with the 1.5'' drop springs,
part number M-5300-N along with the handling kit... labor should be the same just the extra 225 for the springs and sell the others on e-bay or craigs list...

I do have a complete 2011 Mustang GT suspension for sale, this is the factory springs,struts, sway bars and rear shocks and the GT tower brace.
1000.00 buck plus shipping less then 25 miles on parts

I don't speak often but when I do, I don't have clue what I am talking about. I just repeat things that I once heard and do not repeat them correctly... My doctor told me it was an ID 10 T problem and it was incurable.
So when I reply to a post or add to a thread I just find the words elsewhere and copy and paste.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011
PONY Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member

How do you like the kit so far, from a driving aspect? How is the adjustability? The FRPP lists it is "single adjustment two-way response." So, its just rebound adjustable softer and harder, or?

I came up with my own kit with parts from Strano's site and FRPP that ended up being $214 less than that FRPP kit. Basically I just swapped out the FRPP sway bars and FRPP dampers for Tokico-D full adjustables dampers and Strano 3-way adjustable sway bars. I don't own any of the stuff. Just doing some research at this point.

2012 Ingot Silver Mustang - 3.7L V6, Performance Package (traded)
2012 HP White Mustang GT - 5.0L, Premium, 3.73 rear end

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

1" drop FRPP

I love my 1" drop FRPP handling pack. I can feel the difference. Now I don't have the adjustable type because I didn't want to have to deal with more adjustments for alignments whenever they have to be done. My car is what I have as my avatar.

2011 Mustang GT, Kona Blue, 6MT with 3.55, FRPP Handling Kit, BBR O/R x-pipe with SVT mufflers, Basic GT with premium interior and Steering Wheel, Boss ground affects, FR SVT Track Pack wheels, Brembo and Security package

Plans: JLT CAI
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011
PONY Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirStang View Post
I love my 1" drop FRPP handling pack. I can feel the difference. Now I don't have the adjustable type because I didn't want to have to deal with more adjustments for alignments whenever they have to be done. My car is what I have as my avatar.
???
I can understand not wanting to mess with adjusting the dampers, but you don't have to get a re-alignment each time... Install the lowering/handeling kit, get the alignment checked (if you don't have the equipment to do so), and adjust the damper rates as needed.

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011
Rookie
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I'd like to hear also how you like the adjustable package. I like the adjustability of the shocks for track purposes. Would like to know how different suspension behaves between softest and hardest settings.

2011 GT Premium, Brembo, 6MT, 3.73, HID, Security package, Black w/Grabber blue leather, FRPP Power Pack, Boss 302 FR & RR valance & splitter, M-2004-MB Brake cooling kit, FRPP Adjustable Suspension pack.. Soon to come: Boss 302 oil cooler,
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011
PONY Member
S197 Member

I have the D specs on my car. The pure racers dont like them because they adjust both the compression and rebound together. I think they are a perfect compromise for someone who uses their car mostly on the street and does a few track days for fun.

I have mine set at full soft, (six turns from hard) when Im on the street, which is most of the time. With the springs I have they are still able to control the suspension and give a nice ride. I like the ability to adjust the damper for bumpy or smooother tracks. They help. I think they are a good choice.

05GT, 09 GT500 Drivetrain, 2.6 pulley, JLT intake, 18x9.5 GT500 wheels, 14" Brembos, 2014 rear brakes, 14 cooling fan, Cortex racing Koni Coilovers, Cortex Watts Link BMR:K-Member, Tube rad support, adj upper third link, rear relo brackets,JBA long tubes and catted mid pipe, Stillen adj front & rear sway bars, Bump steer kit, Steeda shifter, Spydershaft Aluminum DS.
John Lund tune, 568 rwhp, 560 tq.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyalpusa View Post
I have the D specs on my car. The pure racers dont like them because they adjust both the compression and rebound together. I think they are a perfect compromise for someone who uses their car mostly on the street and does a few track days for fun.

I have mine set at full soft, (six turns from hard) when Im on the street, which is most of the time. With the springs I have they are still able to control the suspension and give a nice ride. I like the ability to adjust the damper for bumpy or smooother tracks. They help. I think they are a good choice.
I have the D Specs too. I wanted a little more compression adjustability (along with the main rebound settings) to deal with the soft initial rate of my FRPP "P" springs. I run 3 turns from hard on the front and 4 turns on the rear and it works well. Good ride, good control at a fraction of the FRPP shock costs (which have a reputation for some harshness). Koni's are also a good choice.

Steve
2011 GT in Performance white | 3.73's | FRPP "P" springs on D specs | Fays2 Watts Link | Brembo's | Steeda CAI/Tune | FRPP "X" into GT500 muffs | Sparco Milano seats
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011
PONY Member

I'm starting to do some suspension mods. First Strano bars and camber plates (and this is an issue with the 2011). I will also change to adj. dampers. The Koni's are $$$, but I've had them on other cars - nice adj. range (2x on rebound, hard/soft). BUT... They (Koni) seem to be having supply problems. So...

I'm wondering with the Boss and Laguna Seca editions coming if FRPP is going to offer THOSE suspensions as packages. I suspect a "do it yourself" (with Sam Strano's help maybe) will be cheaper (and maybe better). BUT... Ford has clearly spent time "dialing in" the new stuff. That's worth something too!

From what I read, both the Boss and LS have adj. dampers - with the LS being much (5x) stiffer. The Brembo dampers are supposedly (from Automobile mag. article) equivalent to the Boss' on "1" (full soft). That's about as stiff as I'd wanna go for DD.

Anybody know how the current FRPP pkg. compares to what we'll see on the Boss (or LS)?

2011 GT Kona Blue with 401A Black+Cashmire - HID, Security, Brembo, 3.55, Comfort, Rear Camera, and Glass Roof.
Mods: Steeda Sport Springs and HD mount (2011+ style), Koni "Yellows", UMI roto-joint adj. PHB - oh, and one big scratch in a BBP wheel!
GT Member

who is the supplier of the FRPP dampers?

2011 Mustang GT 5.0 Coupe/Brembos/3.73

"I'm also 6'5" and 270 lbs. and could crush a person's bones with my bare hands"
-Jozsefsz

PONY Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cababah View Post
who is the supplier of the FRPP dampers?
Dynamic Suspensions.

PONY Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member

JohnRichard,

How does your car ride with the adjustable package? How do you like the adjustable dampers?

GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
JohnRichard,

How does your car ride with the adjustable package? How do you like the adjustable dampers?

Imagine riding in a little red wagon with 400+ HP and sticky tires…

The ride is what it is... I can't tell you if it stiff or not I have a FX4 F150 for my daily driver with nothing in the bed my FX4 has a softer ride...

The technician installing the kit, ask how I wanted it setup... I said firm, slight to no body roll and the least amount dip when applying the breaks…

I have changed the tires to a Nitto NT05 and now it is even worse, but I did not install the kit or the tires for ride comfort...

I try to avoid all pot holes and bumps in the road for ride comfort as well...

I like the car, I didn't really put any miles on prior to the kit... maybe 10 at the most, i think there was 25 miles on the car when the kit was installed, so it is hard for me to say how much of a differance it makes in ride comfort...

I have made the car slide in a corner but it was intentionally, AdvancTrac was off and my foot was heavy... drifting, scared the person riding with me but she didn’t know it was coming… after that she was do it again, do it again…

If I do adjust it, it will be the front sway bar only... The only thing I can see adjusting at this time would be the front sway bar, its current setting is in the middle for both wet and dry roads…. If I change this it will go to dry, but that will be a few months before that happens

Front end alignment was set back to stock as possible other then what was caused by lowering the car, the camber was set to -1, caster and toe, set back to factory specifications. One of the other tech suggested that we go to a -2 on the camber but as far as looks -1 was about as far as I wanted to go. The technician doing the install agreed -1 would be plenty…

I asked the tech if I will needed a front end alignment every time I adjusted the car and the technicians reply, no

I don't speak often but when I do, I don't have clue what I am talking about. I just repeat things that I once heard and do not repeat them correctly... My doctor told me it was an ID 10 T problem and it was incurable.
So when I reply to a post or add to a thread I just find the words elsewhere and copy and paste.
Rookie
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRichard View Post
I do have a complete 2011 Mustang GT suspension for sale, this is the factory springs,struts, sway bars and rear shocks and the GT tower brace.
1000.00 buck plus shipping less then 25 miles on parts

Hey John - would you sell the tower brace on its own?
PONY Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRichard View Post
Imagine riding in a little red wagon with 400+ HP and sticky tires…

The ride is what it is... I can't tell you if it stiff or not I have a FX4 F150 for my daily driver with nothing in the bed my FX4 has a softer ride...

The technician installing the kit, ask how I wanted it setup... I said firm, slight to no body roll and the least amount dip when applying the breaks…
I know you guys have some nice twisty roads in Colorado. How does it handle on corners at it's current settings (besides intentionally making it slide into one)? I guess you can't really comment on the adjustability of the struts/shocks since you didn't mess with it yet.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page