Heartthrob CB (stock mufflers) installed - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

Heartthrob CB (stock mufflers) installed

Hello,
New to the forums here and this is my first post. I have a 2011 manual GT and have installed the Heartthrob kit #1429050 (S/S CB w/stock mufflers). The quality of the exhaust is great and with the stock mufflers it sounds the same to me. I do have a question/concern and am curious if anyone else has experienced this. After the car reaches operating temperature and is shut off there are ,what I would describe as, loud pinging and tinging noise coming from the h-pipe and resonator area of the exhaust. The stock system did not make these noises. I also have a noise that comes from the rear when I go over a significant bump (it is a dull thump type noise). Has anyone had any of these type issues and/or clearance issues with this exhaust? Any inputs would be appreciated.

Sean

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02506.JPG
Views:	277
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	119298  

2011 GT, 6spd, Candy Red, Brembo, EP, Glass roof, HT exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers/Steeda CAI/SCT tuner/Barton shifter/RTR wheels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011
Apprentice
S197 Member

It's normal. I'm making the assumption that your pipes are stainless steel. The stock pipes are ceramic coated. Your pipes get really hot when you drive. The pinging sound is from them cooling off.

Do you really like your stock mufflers? That was one of the first things that I changed.

|2011 Mustang GT 5.0L | 3.73 | Brembo Package | Race Red |

Mods: Borla Cat-back S-Type Exhaust | Barton Shifter
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011
Apprentice

Over the axle pipes probably need to be adjusted better to take care of noise your hearing when hitting bumps.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshep01 View Post
It's normal. I'm making the assumption that your pipes are stainless steel. The stock pipes are ceramic coated. Your pipes get really hot when you drive. The pinging sound is from them cooling off.

Do you really like your stock mufflers? That was one of the first things that I changed.
The OE pipes are not ceramic coated. They are 409-grade stainless steel. The pinging, though, is indeed the pipes contracting as they cool off. The aftermarket pipes, being (probably) a different material/gauge are contracting/cooling at a different rate than the OE did, so you get that pinging noise.
The thumping is, as pointed out, either a basic fitment (design) issue, or an adjustment issue.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011
Apprentice

Are you using stock resonators?Any HP gain?

GT perf. white 401A
Secr.pkg,comf.pkg,3.55
GT500 A/Bs,Roush billet grill,GT/CS facia w/fogs,oil catch can,
hood struts,Kappa Infinity6829s.Body color side skirts & rear
valance,STEEDA,sports,adj.GT 500 mounts, upper & lower control arms,bumpsteer kit,x11 ball joints,panhard bar,KONI yellows,Omega Godspeed wheels staggered,295/30/20 rear, 255/35/20'front.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshep01 View Post

The pipes are stainless steel. Yes, I agree the pinging sounds are from cooling off but I have never heard a car make sounds this loud.

No, I don't like the stock mufflers. I want to replace them I just have not found a set I like.

2011 GT, 6spd, Candy Red, Brembo, EP, Glass roof, HT exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers/Steeda CAI/SCT tuner/Barton shifter/RTR wheels.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC31964 View Post
Are you using stock resonators?Any HP gain?
No, the HT system came with resonators, they can be seen in the picture. I have not had the car on a dyno so I can't say I have seen any HP gains.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyndallcbr View Post
......I also have a noise that comes from the rear when I go over a significant bump (it is a dull thump type noise). Has anyone had any of these type issues and/or clearance issues with this exhaust? Any inputs would be appreciated.

Sean
I had this exact issue with the Heartthrob. It turns out it was the webbing on the rear differential hitting the pipes. The problem was that the Heartthrob H-pipe was too long. The fix was to cut 3/4" off of each side of the H-pipe which allowed the over-the-axle pipes to move slightly forward and away from the rear.

Rob

2011 Mustang GT Premium, 6spd, Brembo - 12.51 @ 115.53 mph on street tires

Gone but not forgotten: '07 SRT8 Charger, '04 STi, '01 Camaro SS

Life Member: Veterans of Foreign Wars
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011
PONY Member

Another thing to consider is the removed flex joint in the middle of the stock H pipe. The elimination of that will no doubt amplify expansion and contraction noises since the pipes cannot move around anymore. I have longevity concerns with that. I'll be interested to see if any higher mileage systems suffer from fatigue failures down the road.

2011 GT 6MT (Cookie Monster) - The 1/4 life crisis. Brembos, 401A, drop top, Grabber Blue.

1974 Dodge Challenger - The money pit. 408 SB stroker, Megasquirt 2 EFI, 904TF, 3.91 gears. 16MPG and 520HP goodness

2004 Hyundai Tiburon - The winter beater.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by copracer288 View Post
I had this exact issue with the Heartthrob. It turns out it was the webbing on the rear differential hitting the pipes. The problem was that the Heartthrob H-pipe was too long. The fix was to cut 3/4" off of each side of the H-pipe which allowed the over-the-axle pipes to move slightly forward and away from the rear.
Thanks for the information... Which end of the h-pipe? Was it the front or the rear?

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011GrabberGT View Post
Another thing to consider is the removed flex joint in the middle of the stock H pipe. The elimination of that will no doubt amplify expansion and contraction noises since the pipes cannot move around anymore. I have longevity concerns with that. I'll be interested to see if any higher mileage systems suffer from fatigue failures down the road.
I sent an email to HT about the noise issue. Here is what they said about the flex joint... "The flex is there to provide a little movement under engine torque. The type of clamping system we (and the oem) use also provides some movement and flexibility."

PONY Member

I get the ping during cool down.
I don't have any contact issues going over bumps.

'73 Mach 1 - Boss 351 clone in progress
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyndallcbr View Post
Thanks for the information... Which end of the h-pipe? Was it the front or the rear?
You'll want to trim the back end. The front end of the H-pipe has the "slits" in the pipe so it slides over the pipes coming off the cats.

Another thing we found was that the flanges on the Heartthrob pipes that attach to the cats were too big. When clamped down the pipes (on each side) formed a very small wrinkle which then gave me a small exhaust leak on each side. These "wrinkles" had to be welded shut to stop the leak. It's not a huge leak but if you listened for it, you could hear it.

Rob

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks for the information. I will take the car back to the exhaust shop tomorrow and have them look at shortening the H-pipe and checking for the leak you mentioned. I have already taken the car back once to look for the exhaust contacting the body etc... maybe this information will help figure out what is going on.

Apprentice

Yeah, I originally thought the exhaust was hitting the floor where the pipes go over the axle since there was not much clearance there.

Not the case. The exhaust will move up and down with the body so you don't need much clearance there. You should be able to see marks on the pipes where the rear is coming up and making contact. That was the giveaway for me.

Rob

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page