Few Noises from my 2011 Mustang GT (bp car) - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Few Noises from my 2011 Mustang GT (bp car)

There's three noises I can't identify, that I might have a dealer check out:

1) High pitched whine from front of car/motor. Its quiet enough that you don't really hear it with the radio off, and I think its coming from the engine compartment. It follows engine RPM in pitch, and sounds almost exactly like a ground loop, but I can't localize the sound with my ears to the stereo, really does sound like its coming from the bay. Should I be concerned?

2) Rattle at speed either in lower drivers door panel or front fender area, pretty annoying sound. Only hear it at speed, but its hard to pinpoint

3) Passenger seatbelt guide loud rattle/buzz over bumps. This one is the worst of them, I can't see how to fix it.

Anyone have similar unwanted noises in their car and have them fixed?

2011 Mustang GT: Brembo, 401A, Hids, 3.73's. Flowmaster Hushpower AB, Roush Springs, CS/Boss bumpers

NASA-AZ
Driver/Captain: audistyleracing . com
Photographer: rolex24pics . com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I have the exact same noise as #1, I'm bringing it into the dealer next week to have it looked at.

I also have the following noises:
2) Radiator fan rubs on something when it's turning, makes a nice rattling noise.
3) Passenger's side HVAC valve that directs air to dash or feet. With it on dash only or feet only, it makes a horrible rattling noise. With it on dash and feet, it still rattles, but it's barely noticeable.

2011 Kona Blue 5.0 / 400A / MT82 / 3.55 / Brembo Pkg / Comfort Pkg / Security Pkg
Mods: Stuff
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarhurricane View Post
I have the exact same noise as #1, I'm bringing it into the dealer next week to have it looked at.

I also have the following noises:
2) Radiator fan rubs on something when it's turning, makes a nice rattling noise.
3) Passenger's side HVAC valve that directs air to dash or feet. With it on dash only or feet only, it makes a horrible rattling noise. With it on dash and feet, it still rattles, but it's barely noticeable.
Also have that #1 noise to, cant isolate it either car is in storage for winter, let me know if they find the problem.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_red_v8 View Post
There's three noises I can't identify, that I might have a dealer check out:

1) High pitched whine from front of car/motor. Its quiet enough that you don't really hear it with the radio off, and I think its coming from the engine compartment. It follows engine RPM in pitch, and sounds almost exactly like a ground loop, but I can't localize the sound with my ears to the stereo, really does sound like its coming from the bay. Should I be concerned?

2) Rattle at speed either in lower drivers door panel or front fender area, pretty annoying sound. Only hear it at speed, but its hard to pinpoint

3) Passenger seatbelt guide loud rattle/buzz over bumps. This one is the worst of them, I can't see how to fix it.

Anyone have similar unwanted noises in their car and have them fixed?

I have both #2 and #3, I think. When I drive 75mph+ there is a rattle that sounds like it is coming from where the driver's door meets the car, or from the air vent on the left driver's side. It's a metallic-sounding rattle. I took my car to the dealership to get it checked out, but guess what - we couldn't reproduce the sound at all, even at 85mph. Figures. All the mechanic said was "this car is incredibly quiet for a Mustang".

As far as #3 - I don't hear this when a passenger is sitting in the seat, but I can definitely hear it with the radio being off. I'd say it's a minor annoyance.

I used to have a rattle that sounded like the windows rubbing up against the door sil. It would happen over minor bumps or waves in the pavement. Used some silicone spray and I don't hear it at all anymore.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011
PONY Member

Gear whine? Could be that
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011
Apprentice

The only rattle noise I have is from the speedometer, but that only started when the temps outside got down below 20 degrees. The bezel around the speedo is what is rattling. Stops when the weather warms, so i guess no big deal.
Just wish I live where the weather was always warm and had no salt on the streets. D.

Wow, This 2011 Stang is FAST.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011
Apprentice

Regarding No. 2---I used the fix in Post #4 of this thread:

2011 Door noise around 60 -70 MPH - MustangForums.com

There are little plastic clips at the bottom of the door covering some drain holes. I removed them, and it definitely fixed the slight buzz/rattle that happened at highway speed.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011
Apprentice
S197 Member

I have #1 also and I found out that it is from the axle. For 6 months I thought it was coming from under the hood. Just for shits and giggles I decided to try driving with the rear seats lowered to hear my GT500 mufflers more and low and behold the whine sound is coming from the rear end. Starts at about 20mph and can be heard even at 80mph.

I have heard mixed reviews on the dealer actually fixing the issue so for now I may just live with it.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by argetni View Post
I have #1 also and I found out that it is from the axle. For 6 months I thought it was coming from under the hood. Just for shits and giggles I decided to try driving with the rear seats lowered to hear my GT500 mufflers more and low and behold the whine sound is coming from the rear end. Starts at about 20mph and can be heard even at 80mph.

I have heard mixed reviews on the dealer actually fixing the issue so for now I may just live with it.
I'm guessing your whine is speed dependent. Mine, and it sounds like the op's whine is RPM dependent, which is not indicative of a rear end whine. It's coming from the engine.

2011 Kona Blue 5.0 / 400A / MT82 / 3.55 / Brembo Pkg / Comfort Pkg / Security Pkg
Apprentice
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarhurricane View Post
I'm guessing your whine is speed dependent. Mine, and it sounds like the op's whine is RPM dependent, which is not indicative of a rear end whine. It's coming from the engine.

I think my car being an automatic gives it different symptoms.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Trying the fix for #2, leaving #1 alone as it seems to be standard, and #3 I'm going to try a few different things.

I'll report back later.

2011 Mustang GT: Brembo, 401A, Hids, 3.73's. Flowmaster Hushpower AB, Roush Springs, CS/Boss bumpers

NASA-AZ
Driver/Captain: audistyleracing . com
Photographer: rolex24pics . com
Apprentice
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_red_v8 View Post
Trying the fix for #2, leaving #1 alone as it seems to be standard, and #3 I'm going to try a few different things.

I'll report back later.

For #1 drive around the block with the rear seats folded down to make sure it is the axle and report back as I am curious
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

For #1, the Ford dealer I took the car to said that the whine was "characteristic of the engine."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page