Tune for 2011 Mustang GT 6MT Stick Drivers - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Tune for 2011 Mustang GT 6MT Stick Drivers

Hello all.

I've been toying with purchasing a tune for my '11 GT 6MT, Brembo, 3.73 since purchasing it in July. There are dozens of posts praising various tunes on this and other forums. However, virtually all discussion of tunes focuses on the improvement to the shifting routines of the auto transmission. Those of you who have installed tunes on your manual cars, what differences have you experienced in daily driving and how dramatic are any improvements.

Many people (including those selling the tunes) note "improved throttle response". Is this primarily just a more sensitive throttle (as in, quicker drive-by-wire), or is there noticeable boost to useful power (by useful power, I mean, low- and mid-range power at reasonable--relatively legal speeds)?

I must confess, the stock 6MT car is so damn much fun, I have a touch of skepticism that a tune could make a dramatic improvement to the daily experience. But the kid boy in me hates to miss out on more fun that is to be had.

Thanks for your opinions and experiences.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011
Apprentice

I have the same car your looking to buy with the exception of 3.55 gears. The throttle response is about the same but more horespower = better response. Nothing wrong with stock response but the tune, CAI, and new shifter improved my quarter mile about 7 tenths...

2011 5.0 Vortech 7.2/lbs boost 600 rwhp JMS tune
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011
Apprentice

I have 6MT, brembo and 373 like you.

So far I tried the FRPP tune and Bama tunes. First I thought the FRPP tune was pretty nice because it felt faster at lower RPM's (where you usually are with a daily driver) and it got rid of that stupid skip shift. Then I found out it pinged when I floored the car so I took the FRPP off. The Bama didnt feel much different than the FRPP. Had to go to the Race tune to feel some difference but I think that's because of the higher throttle sensitivity not necessarily because it provides a bunch more TQ/HP. So in the end I would say it's a gradual improvement but I'm not blown away ... I think it's worth the $375 or whatever they charge for the tuner/tunes.

I have the K&N filter but no aftermarket CAI - so cant make any comment on what that adds.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011
Apprentice

I've been told to only run BP or Shell fuel with my 93 octane tune from dynospeed. Other discount fuels like Murphy and Krogers will cause pinging... I've been loyal to Shell and had no pinging problems.

2011 5.0 Vortech 7.2/lbs boost 600 rwhp JMS tune
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailhawg View Post
I've been told to only run BP or Shell fuel with my 93 octane tune from dynospeed. Other discount fuels like Murphy and Krogers will cause pinging... I've been loyal to Shell and had no pinging problems.
No discounter stuff - used Chevron 93 octane gas. Got some gas from another Chevron station later and same problem.
No pinging with bama tunes.
There was another member in another state that had same issue with FRPP.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I feel like my combo is the best bang for buck you can get.I can only speak from my experience with my exact mods.

I have both BlowByRacing and Brenspeed 91 oct tunes that I alternate when I feel the need.Both tunes are very good with the Brenspeed being a little more touchy with the throttle.Everything works togeather with my set up.

The Steeda CAI is IMO the best out there and with the BBR tune and Magnaflow 3" catback with HF cats and comp series mufflers my car has made 406rwhp/387rwtq

this rivals cars with Longtube headers and offroad X/H pipes.If you dont mind a loud car this set up is killer.I say loud but thats really only at WOT It's pretty tame if you want it to be.

2011 Performance white base GT 6MT 3.73 gears(sold)
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011
PONY Member
S197 Member

As Zilla8 said, IMO, its the best performance bang for the buck....

I run Brenspeed tunes on my last three Stangs.. The Steeda CAI is also a quality product. Have used a Steeda CAI on my last two stangs. As far Brenspeed , they have always lived up to my expectations so far.

Of all of my Stangs, this 5.0 motor allows for the tuners to produce a Real difference in performance.. the times before, it was a good mod on this 5.0, its great and makes a huge difference in performance. Again, IMO.

Also, beware of those who may have negative opinions here on tunes and CAI when in fact they do not have them on their cars and have never invested the bucks to know the difference in performance themselves.

Read the replies from people who have the CAI and tunes and the pro and cons on the brands they use. That should be helpful

Lots of good tuners out there, I am sure you will make a good choice.

Good Luck !

Blueblaze
2011 GT 5.0 Premium Coupe, Kona Blue, Interior Charcoal /Grabber Blue ,6 speed MT, Comfort Group, ,Brembo Brakes , 3.73 Gears, Security Package, Shaker1000, Polk Speakers, CDC Chin Spoiler, JLT Oil Separator, Custom Grille layout, HID, Brenspeed 93 Tune /Steeda CAI , GT500 SVT Axle Backs
A new Beast in disguise…..
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Check out VMP , email Justin with all your questions and a good choice would either be JLT or Airaid CAI.

2011 Premium Red Candy Mustang GT ( Delivered 5/24/10 )
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by konablue5oh View Post
No discounter stuff - used Chevron 93 octane gas. Got some gas from another Chevron station later and same problem.
No pinging with bama tunes.
There was another member in another state that had same issue with FRPP.
that would be me. spark knock with octane adjust on Y and N (although worse with N) verified on dyno yet technical dude at ford racing (Ray) still will argue to the death that it is not spark knock but "cat impingement" which nobody else has ever heard of.

the tuners that do this for a living say hands down it was pinging loud. i was using nothing but chevron 91 (cali) with this tune but have since taken it off and put car to stock and use shell 91.

do not recommend FRPP procal tune.

2011 Mustang GT 5.0 Coupe/Brembos/3.73

"I'm also 6'5" and 270 lbs. and could crush a person's bones with my bare hands"
-Jozsefsz

Rookie
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manashttu View Post
Hello all.

I've been toying with purchasing a tune for my '11 GT 6MT, Brembo, 3.73 since purchasing it in July. There are dozens of posts praising various tunes on this and other forums. However, virtually all discussion of tunes focuses on the improvement to the shifting routines of the auto transmission. Those of you who have installed tunes on your manual cars, what differences have you experienced in daily driving and how dramatic are any improvements.

Many people (including those selling the tunes) note "improved throttle response". Is this primarily just a more sensitive throttle (as in, quicker drive-by-wire), or is there noticeable boost to useful power (by useful power, I mean, low- and mid-range power at reasonable--relatively legal speeds)?

I must confess, the stock 6MT car is so damn much fun, I have a touch of skepticism that a tune could make a dramatic improvement to the daily experience. But the kid boy in me hates to miss out on more fun that is to be had.

Thanks for your opinions and experiences.

I have a 11 GT, 6MT, Brembo Package, 373s. Installed the SCT 93 Octane tune and steeda CAI last August. No issues to date and car runs stronger than stock...difinitely noticed a difference.
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Tunes

I currently am using a FRPP tune and then plan on going to an Airaid with tune. Chris from American Muscle told me that there is only one CAI with tune that is higher in HP than the Airaid when they checked about 6 of them on the dyno. He recommends Airaid because it gives you 50RWHP and 70RWTQ. It beats all of the other cai's with tunes by +12 tq. You can get that for about $675 on American Muscle.

Future plans: I plan on finishing up with Kooks LT headers, x-pipe with HF cats and 3" to my SVT Axle backs after I get the Airaid cai with tune. My estimate is about 430RWHP and 405RWTQ.

2011 Mustang GT, Kona Blue, 6MT with 3.55, FRPP Handling Kit, BBR O/R x-pipe with SVT mufflers, Basic GT with premium interior and Steering Wheel, Boss ground affects, FR SVT Track Pack wheels, Brembo and Security package

Plans: JLT CAI

Last edited by AirStang; 01-15-2011 at 11:18 PM. Reason: forgot other plans
Apprentice

Bama 93 Race tune is awesome. I didn't think the car needed anything when I got it, but after updating the tune, I would never go back to stock. There is no way you get 50rwhp and 70rw tq from tune and intake alone (I think most tests are seeing around 30hp?), but it is a huge bump and the power can be felt everywhere.

2011 Mustang GT Premium, Black on Black, 6MT, 3.55 Gears, Security Package
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirStang View Post
I currently am using a FRPP tune and then plan on going to an Airaid with tune. Chris from American Muscle told me that there is only one CAI with tune that is higher in HP than the Airaid when they checked about 6 of them on the dyno. He recommends Airaid because it gives you 50RWHP and 70RWTQ. It beats all of the other cai's with tunes by +12 tq. You can get that for about $675 on American Muscle.

Future plans: I plan on finishing up with Kooks LT headers, x-pipe with HF cats and 3" to my SVT Axle backs after I get the Airaid cai with tune. My estimate is about 430RWHP and 405RWTQ.
I think this might have been misquoted. We were talking about headers/cai/tune numbers. The airaid CAI is going to net about 25RWHP, as much as 30-40RWHP in some spots in the curve. The airaid CAI is definitely the best performing one, along with the JLT. The airaid fit/finish is amazing! It's a quality component, and makes substantial hp/tq gains. I would go with either the Airaid or JLT being the close 2nd. That's my thoughts.

Chris Rose | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266 | M-F 9AM-9PM EST | Sat 10AM-4PM EST
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST | Sat 10AM-4PM EST
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Need help? PM AMAlexLazarus for immediate assistance!
Site Sponsor

OP, manual transmission vehicles are also going to have the same horsepower and torque gains as an auto. The throttle response is going to be night/day different as well. With air/fuel ratio and timing optimized for Street, Performance or Race use, the Bama tune is going to wake up the car quite a bit. As for the Autos, their increased benefit is in the shifting. They get shift firmness, speed and timing modifications.

Either way, there's no doubt that a 2011 responds very well to tuning. We've proven that at the track, on the dyno and around town as well. Go for it! You'll never look back!

If you have absolutely any questions about Bama tuning, feel free to give them a call. They're here in the building Monday-Friday from 9AM-5:30PM EST at 888.226.9764!

Chris Rose | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266 | M-F 9AM-9PM EST | Sat 10AM-4PM EST
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST | Sat 10AM-4PM EST
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Need help? PM AMAlexLazarus for immediate assistance!
Apprentice

How much of a difference in HP do you think between the Steeda and Airaid? I'm currently running a Bama 93r tune and a Steeda Cold Air.

2011 Race Red GT- 401A - 3.73:1 gears-Steeda Cold Air-American Thunder Axel Backs- Bama tunes- 35% window tint-Hood spears-Roush white shifter ball.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page