2011 Mustang GT producing odd sounds from engine. - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011 Thread Starter

2011 Mustang GT producing odd sounds from engine.

I got my Mustang GT in November 2010; it has a little over 2700 miles on the car now. Just recently about a week a ago only on cold start I noticed a faint sound between 2500 rpm to 3500 rpm coming from the engine, it sound like a mix of rattling and a grind put together. It has gotten a little bit louder since then, and seems to go away after 2 to 7 minutes once the car has warmed up. I am also starting to notice itís hard to get it in to 2nd gear some times, is anybody having similar issues?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011
GT Member

There have been other threads on this engine sound you're talking about here and other forum's. I have this sound and have shown it to the dealer and they said it was a common issue. The mechanic I showed it to has this sound as well in his 11 GT, but the cause is unknown.

Just to clarify, this is not the igniter click sound or injector tapping sound some complain about.

2012 5.0 Brembo, AED Performance Tune, Lethal Off-Road X, GT500 AB, 3.73, Airaid cai, GT500 SW :yelpleased:
2014 CX-5 Touring
Gone but not forgotten:
2011 Mustang GT|GT500 AB |FRPP Tune|6A
2010 Rav4 V6 | 07 Mazdaspeed3| 04 SRT4| 99 GSXR 750
2012 Camaro SS L99 Gone and forgotten
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011 Thread Starter

Ill see what they say Monday when I take it in, all I know is that it was not like that when I purchased the car. I hope they find what the issue is, and fix it for all those that are have this same issue. To me it is diffidently not a normal sound for a car to produce, and especially for a brand new car with low miles.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011
GT Member

another person complaining.

is your car broken? does it drive weird? if it runs like normal just keep driving it normally. you can keep taking it to the dealer a billion times but it most likely won't do you any good and possibly cause more harm based on the experiences of others.

2011 Mustang GT 5.0 Coupe/Brembos/3.73

"I'm also 6'5" and 270 lbs. and could crush a person's bones with my bare hands"
-Jozsefsz

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cababah View Post
another person complaining.

is your car broken? does it drive weird? if it runs like normal just keep driving it normally. you can keep taking it to the dealer a billion times but it most likely won't do you any good and possibly cause more harm based on the experiences of others.
So what your applying is that your find that you purchased a new car, and its making a noise that sounds like its grinding coming from the engine and your fine with it.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011
GT Member

no i wouldn't be "fine" with it but right now these cars are so new that you will follow the same steps as everyone else:

1) drop off at dealer and describe problem
2) have them tell you they have no idea how to fix it and they will call hotline
3) several days later...they fix something that they think needs fixing only to have that not fix the problem
4) call ford engineer to come out
5) wait X days for engineer to come...

you are right in taking it to the dealer, i was just wondering the severity of the sound; a lot of people here seem to exaggerate things and make it sound worse than it really is.

problem with these new powertrains is that the ford technicians know NOTHING about these engines. there is no training they take or anything like that to become "certified" they learn from people like you who go in and then the techs get their hands on the engines and start understanding how they work and noticing common problems.

we are the guinea pigs but yeah there is a huge sticky dedicated to weird engine noises at the top.

2011 Mustang GT 5.0 Coupe/Brembos/3.73

"I'm also 6'5" and 270 lbs. and could crush a person's bones with my bare hands"
-Jozsefsz

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cababah View Post
no i wouldn't be "fine" with it but right now these cars are so new that you will follow the same steps as everyone else:

1) drop off at dealer and describe problem
2) have them tell you they have no idea how to fix it and they will call hotline
3) several days later...they fix something that they think needs fixing only to have that not fix the problem
4) call ford engineer to come out
5) wait X days for engineer to come...

you are right in taking it to the dealer, i was just wondering the severity of the sound; a lot of people here seem to exaggerate things and make it sound worse than it really is.

problem with these new powertrains is that the ford technicians know NOTHING about these engines. there is no training they take or anything like that to become "certified" they learn from people like you who go in and then the techs get their hands on the engines and start understanding how they work and noticing common problems.

we are the guinea pigs but yeah there is a huge sticky dedicated to weird engine noises at the top.
thanks for the info
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011
GT Member

Cab, you've had alot of good posts, but those in this thread are not some of them.

To the OP, Cab is right about one thing . . . the Ford techs have no idea how to fix this crap. Welcome to the 5.0-series-of-engine-noises club. Look here:

Piston noise before warmed up..? - SVTPerformance

Really Disappointed with Ford - SVTPerformance

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...art-drive.html

P.S. 5.0Ben is right -- this is different than the "ignitor" tick, the idle tick, and the idle tap noises.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cidsamuth View Post
Cab, you've had alot of good posts, but those in this thread are not some of them.

To the OP, Cab is right about one thing . . . the Ford techs have no idea how to fix this crap. Welcome to the 5.0-series-of-engine-noises club. Look here:

Piston noise before warmed up..? - SVTPerformance

Really Disappointed with Ford - SVTPerformance

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...art-drive.html

P.S. 5.0Ben is right -- this is different than the "ignitor" tick, the idle tick, and the idle tap noises.
Thanks for the links, Ill have to check them out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page