rear view camera - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

rear view camera

i am wondering about installing a after market rear view camera i have a pedestral spoiler but i want a kit that will look original viewing in the mirror if anybody have a suggestion thank you

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011
Rookie

I've seen aftermarket kits that have the camera in the license plate frame. Not sure about having the screen in the mirror, but I'm sure it's out there.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011
Rookie

I did this install

Hey,

I did this install on my 2011 GT. Priority was to do as close to a factory install as possible so nothing 'appeared aftermarket'. I also have the pedestal spoiler. Here is what I did:
  • Replaced the rear view mirror with one that has the screen in it - Used one from an F150 as it needed to have the Compass sender, Sync Mic and screen (Ford part number: 8U5A 17E678 EE)
  • Bought a 'micro' camera and installed it on the bumper just above the license plate (Pioneer ND-BC4) - Hardly notice it as the camera is less than 1" square.
  • Ran the wiring through the trunk, under rear seat, behind rear side panel, under rocker panel cover and up the column to the headliner and on to the backup mirror
  • Had to fashion a custom wiring adaptor in order to change the 10 pin mirror connector to the 16 pin mirror connector
I will post some pics if you are interested. I also have a wiring diagram somewhere for the conversion of the 10 pin to the 16 pin. Basically, you reuse the connections for the factory mirror (power, ground, mic +/-, compass +/-) and then have an extra set of wires to solder in an RCA connection and the necessary reverse light power, etc (all of which is available in the factory 10 pin).

It was a pretty pain free installation but a little frightening as you will have a bunch of interior panels removed from the vehicle.

Here is the mirror and seller that I used ($150 US):

FORD F150 AUTO DIM REAR MIRROR BACK UP CAMERA DISPLAY - eBay (item 140497028790 end time Feb-02-11 14:27:53 PST)

Here is the camera that I bought ($199 CDN):

Pioneer of Canada - English - ND-BC4 - High Sensitivity Universal Back-up Camera

Plus about $15 worth of random wire and electronics connectors. The hardest part was finding the necessary connectors to build the 10 pin to 16 pin adaptor.

Most of my knowledge, research, schematics, etc came from this post:

09 rear view camera - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans - Check page 13 for a photo of the 10/16 pin adaptor that needs to be made. Page 14 has the pin charts for the 10 and 16 pin connectors. You need to do the match ups and make sure that you are connecting the right pins to the right connectors.

Last edited by mepadre; 01-17-2011 at 04:26 PM. Reason: Referenced the page numbers of 10/16 pin photo/schematic

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mepadre View Post
Hey,

I did this install on my 2011 GT. Priority was to do as close to a factory install as possible so nothing 'appeared aftermarket'. I also have the pedestal spoiler. Here is what I did:
  • Replaced the rear view mirror with one that has the screen in it - Used one from an F150 as it needed to have the Compass sender, Sync Mic and screen (Ford part number: 8U5A 17E678 EE)
  • Bought a 'micro' camera and installed it on the bumper just above the license plate (Pioneer ND-BC4) - Hardly notice it as the camera is less than 1" square.
  • Ran the wiring through the trunk, under rear seat, behind rear side panel, under rocker panel cover and up the column to the headliner and on to the backup mirror
  • Had to fashion a custom wiring adaptor in order to change the 10 pin mirror connector to the 16 pin mirror connector
I will post some pics if you are interested. I also have a wiring diagram somewhere for the conversion of the 10 pin to the 16 pin. Basically, you reuse the connections for the factory mirror (power, ground, mic +/-, compass +/-) and then have an extra set of wires to solder in an RCA connection and the necessary reverse light power, etc (all of which is available in the factory 10 pin).

It was a pretty pain free installation but a little frightening as you will have a bunch of interior panels removed from the vehicle.

Here is the mirror and seller that I used ($150 US):

FORD F150 AUTO DIM REAR MIRROR BACK UP CAMERA DISPLAY - eBay (item 140497028790 end time Feb-02-11 14:27:53 PST)

Here is the camera that I bought ($199 CDN):

Pioneer of Canada - English - ND-BC4 - High Sensitivity Universal Back-up Camera

Plus about $15 worth of random wire and electronics connectors. The hardest part was finding the necessary connectors to build the 10 pin to 16 pin adaptor.

Most of my knowledge, research, schematics, etc came from this post:

09 rear view camera - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans - Check page 13 for a photo of the 10/16 pin adaptor that needs to be made. Page 14 has the pin charts for the 10 and 16 pin connectors. You need to do the match ups and make sure that you are connecting the right pins to the right connectors.
thank you very much exellent reply all i need to know is there thank you again :laughlitt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page