My Exhaust Experience - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

My Exhaust Experience

I noticed when looking for different exhaust options my searching was always concluded with the typical axel-back, gt500 muffler install.

A Little Back story,
I searched high and low for the best sound i could get out of this car since Late October 2010 and I always seemed to land on the borla s-type/ Atak. Dont get me wrong, I love the sound but at a blistering $1400 price tag i just couldn't see pulling the trigger for an online purchase. 2 weeks ago i cured my indecisions by finally noticing that the pipes for the Borla kits were only at a 2.75 diameter w/ 4inch tips . I didn't want the the same size stock pipes i wanted 3 inch throughout. I found the Kooks cat-back at $845 through Southerncarparts.com, but after the crazy snow across the US lately UPS took 10 business days to deliver.
I got the exhaust Monday 1/17

I called Kenny's Muffler in Watauga, TX about getting this thing bolted up. I have heard nothing but exceptional work and pleasant experiences through this company.
His Website to browse of other cars hes worked on. Warning?!?!?! you will get lost in the photo section lol, hes had quite a few cars come to him for exhaust.
HOME

I only talked with Kirk the owner and what a blessing it is to have someone knowledgeable and helpful in any avenue you want to go with your car.
Dropped the car off this morning at 8am 1/20
I had planned on just going with the cat-back install for around $150, but after Kirk started getting the exhaust off he called me and offered me a deal i couldn't refuse for going further with an x-pipe.
Total spent
-$845 Kooks Cat-back
-$375 Cat-back install + x-pipe + piping going to the factory cats.
$1220 spent and i couldn't be happier with the sound and work done.

Pay special attention to the welds on the stock h-pipe. They look terrible and that alone should be reasoning for getting this stock system outta there quickly. My car just hit 3,300 miles.

Terrible video i know, im still working the apple 3g.
I also posted the link to the video below the pics for those at work that cant be viewing youtube videos.
YouTube - 2011 Mustang GT Kooks Catback + X-pipe

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3292.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	613.7 KB
ID:	119974   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3293.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	689.5 KB
ID:	119975   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3289.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	614.8 KB
ID:	119976   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3290.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	579.1 KB
ID:	119977   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3288.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	542.5 KB
ID:	119978  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3291.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	573.5 KB
ID:	119979  
Attached Files
File Type: 3gp IMG_0665.3GP (245.2 KB, 90 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011
PONY Member

sound nice bro!

1990 lx ,302 swap , 351 heads, mystery cam, edelbrock intake/carb , and some other stuff
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011
Rookie

Sounds good- any drone while cruising? if so how noticiable is it?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbech View Post
Sounds good- any drone while cruising? if so how noticiable is it?
To be honest, it has no drone whatsoever. You can tell its back there when your rolling through the gears, but at 60MPH in 6th its pretty tame. Now step on the throttle and it screams. At Idle it sounds pretty close to stock with a tad more rumble.

Since i dont really let anyone but myself drive it, i want to hear what is sounds like from the rear during accel. I got under a bridge last night and went WOT in 2nd and it was music to my ears. I had this **** eatin grin on my face when i rounded the corner out from under the bridge.

These Kooks Mufflers are a straight through muffler design simular to magnaflow, corsa, etc ,but it sounds so much different due to the different fillament inside. Kooks is definatly the way to go for those wanting a full catback, the sound is perfect IMO for a muscle car.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011
PONY Member

The Kooks parts look great.
The S-pipes are crushed. Are they just temps?
Maybe you can get just the S-pipes from Heartthrob.

'73 Mach 1 - Boss 351 clone in progress
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68DARKHORSE View Post
The Kooks parts look great.
The S-pipes are crushed. Are they just temps?
Maybe you can get just the S-pipes from Heartthrob.

When you say s-Pipes do you mean the pipes from the stock cats to when the h-pipe begins or in my case x-pipe.
If so,
I still would like to obtain my warranty for the time being, but what he did was run 2.5 piping from the stock cats/headers to where the x-pipe begins and then its 3 inch from there back to the tips.

Let me know if i misunderstood.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011
Rookie

That sounds mean dude.. I wish I had 2500 bucks burning a hole in my pocket. I would buy that complete Kook system, Heads, X, catback. What kind of x pipe is that? The whole X-H still gets me.I wish one of the big boys would come out with a H pipe option.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeStang View Post
That sounds mean dude.. I wish I had 2500 bucks burning a hole in my pocket. I would buy that complete Kook system, Heads, X, catback. What kind of x pipe is that? The whole X-H still gets me.I wish one of the big boys would come out with a H pipe option.
Thanks,

Im not sure on the brand of x-pipe. It might be something he fabs up in house. All i can say is, after getting back from lunch i had a guy in a stock 09GT from what i could tell following me around every stop light in Grapevine asking if i would do a fly by. lol
First time ive had ppl ask to do a fly by. I only paid $375 for the x-pipe, install of x-pipe and catback install. Can you say bargain buy?
I linked his website if your intrested in more questions, hes a nice guy to talk to about any thinkg your looking for. He does carry these x-pipes at the shop as well as Corsa parts, Magnaflow, Flowmaster, Flo-Pro and pretty much anything you want he can get.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeStang View Post
AFAIK, Flowmaster is the only big manufacturer to include the crossover in their 3" cat-back systems. Most others only replace the mid-pipes, and either don't offer, or charge extra for the crossover portion of the exhaust.
Apprentice

Sounds great....you made my decision easy...thanks!

"Telling people at a dinner party you drive a Nissan Altima is like telling them you've got the ebola virus and you're about to sneeze."
Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear BBC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page