Ford Mustang Forum banner

2011 Mustang GT with Brembo package and full spare

80K views 112 replies 41 participants last post by  B Dot 
#1 ·
This is my first post and I wanted to share some information about putting a full size spare in a 2011 Brembo packaged GT. Someone on another forum felt that a Drag 18x8 DR-34 rim and a 225/50R18 could clear the front Brembo brakes, so I contacted Discount Tire Direct and was assured the rim would work without any issue. After purchasing the DR-34 and a GoodYear Eagle LS2 and the correct lugs for that rim I was happy to find out it mounted and cleared the brakes. The difference in tire diameter is about .19 of an inch smaller compared to the P Zero255/40/19. As you can see in the picture the tire fits very nice with 35 psi. Yes, I does sit about 1.5 inches above deck. So if you are like me and travel and need a full spare then there you have it.

ps only had the car for two weeks but it is an awesome ride. I wanted to order a 2012 but the Sterling Gray is my favorite color. Sad that Ford has discontinued this color....:smoke:

Regards, John

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
you only need one to clear the rear one cause if you pop a front tire you can swap the rear one to the front, then put on the small spare on the rear since the brakes are smaller

#3 ·
that's why I went with the DR-34 rim because it will fit the front or rear so I would not have to do that swap. Mounted it on both the front and rears with no problems. I just hated that cheap tire mobility kit.... I guess I'm just old school when it comes to having a spare.

John

#20 ·
I think it's better that this can fit over the front brakes because running a smaller diameter tire on one side at the rear would be bad for your differential. If you're far away from home and don't have the time or access to get your tire repaired or swapped, having something to go over the front would be very nice...thanks for this tip.

#4 ·
Here is a picture of it mounted on the front wheel with the brembos.

Attachments

#5 ·
looks great, thanks for the info and good luck with your new 5.0!! :bigthumbsup

#6 ·
Marvin

Thanks for the information. I, myself, have been concerned about the spare issue. I think this is a great idea. I don't like the idea of having to do the front to back switch as when a flat happens, it is not often convenient and you might not want to do two tires. Also, there is not a spare of any kind in the brembo cars so I would want some tire and I would rather have a full size. I have blown out a sidewall twice due to road debris and a can of goo and compressor will not help that. I, being old school, feel better with a spare in the trunk. Again, thanks for the info. Also, I too, was disappointed with the Sterling being dropped. I ordered a Kona for 2012.

#8 ·
I think the offset is 35. You might want to contact Kellen at Discount Tire Direct

John

#9 ·
Sorry guys, The wheel I have is a Drag DR-31 not the DR-34 sorry my mistake. It is a 35 offset. :yelwacko:

John

#11 ·
Wheel $150.00, Tire 104.00 about $260.00 delivered with lugs and socket..

#12 ·
I know that no one likes a know-it-all but I've ridden more that 750,000 miles on motorcycles and never carried a spare except on an old BMW R60/2 with a Russian Dnieper sidehack.

I was overjoyed when bike mfrs. went to cast wheels because that meant I could run tubeless tires which could be repaired with a plug without removing the wheel.

Through trial-and-error over the years I have become suspicious of aerosol repairs like Fix-a-Flat or repair kits that give you a coupla CO2 cartiridges to air up your tire.

The hot setup is a little air-compressor that runs off the vehicles power outlet. For years I made my own by stripping the cases off $10 compressors and wiring them to plug into the powerlet. These homemade pumps could fit in the palm of your hand (we're on a bike where space is at a premium) and used with a
Dynaplug 1007 tubeless tire repair kit (the size of a stubby screwdriver) you can repair your tire without having to jack your car up and removing and replacing tires, rims, etc.

You can get a Dynaplug from Amazon for about $15.

I picked up this cool plug-in electric pump at a bike store to replace my clapped-out (but very effective) homemade pump years ago, it was pricy (about $75 at the time) but I put it to use immediately when my wife got a flat tire on her horse trailer -- which had no spare.

Here's the kit (fits into handy bag with assorted wires and adaptors) and the plugger in the wheel well where the so-called "spare" goes. Doesn't take up much room, and for you boy-racers out there, it weighs next to nothing.

As always, JMHO.

Attachments

#13 ·
I think it is what you want and can live with. In my life, most of my flats could have been repaired with a plug kit which I carry with me and a pump however, on two occasions in the past ten years I have had a sidewall cut and was out of commision in a very rural area. A plug kit and pump will not help a ripped or cut sidewall. A spare is your only option. I agree, for 95% of all cases a plug kit and pump will get you on the road but a destroyed sidewall will have you waiting for AAA and or stranded in a rural area where you can not get the proper tire you need until morning if it is late at night. As I said, both are viable options it is just which one you can live with. For piece of mind, I have chosen to go with the spare Marvin describes. However, we all need options to choose from.

#16 ·
Someone on another forum felt that a Drag 18x8 DR-34 rim and a 225/50R18 could clear the front Brembo brakes
That someone was me !!

Glad to see you decided to be the guinia pig and give it a try ... that wheel even has a similar appearance to the Brembo wheels.

The fact that it is so close to the road tire dia. AND fits down in the spare well without deflating makes it the ultimate "real" spare for all 2005-up Mustangs.

225/50-18 26.858" Dia. spare vs. all other available 2005-12 tire sizes:

Std. 2011-12 GT/CS Opt. 2010-12 GT:
245/45-19 = 27.681" (3.1% taller)

Brembo GT, Perf-Pkg. V6, & GT500/Boss 302 Front:
255/40-19 = 27.031" (0.6% taller)

GT500/Boss 302 Rear:
285/35-19 = 26.854" (same)

2010-up Base GT / Opt 2009-up V6:
235/50-18 = 27.252" (1.5% taller)

2007-10 GT500 Front:
255/45-18 = 27.035" (0.7% taller)

2007-10 GT500 Rear:
285/40-18 = 26.976" (0.4% taller)

2005-09 Base GT / Opt 2006-09 V6:
235/55-17 = 27.177" (1.2% taller)

2011-12 Base V6 MT:
225/60-17 = 27.630" (2.9% taller)

2011-12 Base V6 AT:
215/65-17 = 28.003" (4.3% taller)

2010 Base V6:
215/60-17 = 27.157" (1.1% taller)

2005-09 Base V6:
215/65-16 = 27.003" (0.5% taller)

Think that is all of them !!

Also, this 225/50-18 tire will fit on a 6 or 7" wide rim (if you can find one) which may be closer to "flush" with the trunk floor.

And if you already have 18" wheels on your car (all factory Ford are 8" wide), you can search for a new or used one to match what you've got.

Doug

#17 ·
Looks like it. My invoice shows the following/
Product code/ 49271 size/ 18x8 5-100/114 35MGM DRAG,
DR31188053573GMF1
The factory lugs will not fit the Drag rim so I had to order
Product code/80095 qty. (5) 12x1.5 blg 3/4x1.4" 41138ht closed lug
Hope this helps:bigthumbsup

#18 ·
I can't find the lugs. there's no part number search. the "wheel installation kit" lugs for the wheel were automatically added to the cart but it looks like it added $45 worth of them... I assume 20 rather than just 5 and I can't see where to change the quantity.

I assume I'll have to call this order in.

#29 ·
I contacted Kellen and he was very helpful and confirmed to me the rim would clear the brembo calipers. Kellen set me up with the rim, tire and correct lugs for the drag rim. I think it would be best to call the order in and tell them it is for a brembo equipped Mustang. According to Kellen I was not the first one to order that setup.

John

#19 ·
I must be the lucky one. In the last 20 years i have had 3 flats. 2 out of the 3 were side wall and COULD NOT BE REPAIRED. I just make sure i have road side assistance, plenty of hotel points and a charged phone. Working on my car on the side of the highway is always a crap shoot, that is the way Bill Cosbys Son died and many others yearly. (Either shot or hit by inattentive drivers). A tire really isnt worth dying for..ill get my ass to a hotel or tow truck and pay the $15 bucks to have it fixed the next day, stop in at a Mcdonalds and be on my way.

#23 ·
To the OP, thanks for the contribution, this is brilliant, and I'm sure many Mustang owners will be doing the same. I too agree that having a spare that fits over the front as well as rear is a definite advantage. Changing a tire when it's not expected is never fun, you're probably not in the right clothes, condition or mood, so to have to swap a good tire to the front then put the spare on the rear is an additional step I wouldn't want to take either. Great post and excellent idea. Thanks for doing the research and sharing with us.

#28 ·
You're Welcome, but I can't take all the credit because Doug's and other post on a few of the Mustang forums were beneficial in helping me get a suitable spare.
John:)

#25 ·
Important post needs sticky

As mentioned in a similiar thread on this board, I feel that the subject is important enough to warrant a sticky. It is significant to a number of owners and getting the correct sized rim and tire is manditory to keep the rear end from damamge and to not compromise the safety of the vehicle.

#26 ·
OP you mention you ended up getting a D-T-D Drag DR-31 instead of a DR-34 as I had originally suggested so I had to go see what the difference was.

The key is getting an 8" wide rim as this is the widest you can put this size tire on ... both the DR-31 & DR-34 come in 8", both cost the same, BUT the DR-31 has a closer resemblance to the stock Brembo wheel which is a bonus.

That and wider is just going to stick up that much further above the trunk floor as it sits in the spare tire well.

As I said a few posts back, a 6" or 7" wide rim would also work with this tire size but I'd be surprised if one really exists especially one that fits over the Brembo's.

Doug

#27 ·
After looking at all the DR series Drag rims I decided on the DR-31 because it was similar to the factory rims but I’m sure a correct DR-34 would also work fine. Thanks, Doug for doing the research on this. My ford dealer told me this was not possible but then all they were considering was trying to stuff a 19 inch factory rim and P-Zero tire in the trunk.

Regards, John

#30 ·
John,

I bought a set of "MB FIVE-X" winter wheels from D-T-D and glad I got the lug nut set as the factory nuts were too big for these wheels as well. These special lug nuts are splined though and included a special socket ... do you need / did they supply this special socket for your Drag DR-31 ??

Just curious,

Doug

#31 ·
John,

I bought a set of "MB FIVE-X" winter wheels from D-T-D and glad I got the lug nut set as the factory nuts were too big for these wheels as well. These special lug nuts are splined though and included a special socket ... do you need / did they supply this special socket for your Drag DR-31 ??

Just curious,

Doug
yes they did. cool little socket that went from 13/16th to 3/4 that could be used with a factory lug wrench..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.