Replacement tires - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member

I live in Colorado so high performance all seasons are the ticket for me. I don't have the room to store a second set of wheels with dedicated snows. While not the best tire out there, I found terrific value in the Kumho Ecsta ASX tires. Their dry/wet grip is superb and the snow performance is good. Again, it doesn't do any one thing perfectly but is a great compromise tire that is good on price.

Also, if things get too bad out there, the Mustang stays at home and the Jeep gets DD duty.:smilie

Me: 2014 GT Track Pack
Wife: 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Apprentice

2011CandyRedGT, I definitely DO NOT recommend Drag Radials unless: 1. You drag race a good bit, and 2. You have them on a second set of wheels for race duty. For an everyday driver, they are horrible. I bought a set for my '01 GT years ago (Nittos in 275/r17). I thought they would provide better general traction (I was young, I didn't know better). They don't. Unless it's 100 degrees outside, or you spin the hell out of them to really heat them up, they are like ice. Even in warm weather, they would spin all day long. I hated them. In the rain they were pathetic (as they should be with only a few, small grooves). Wear is maybe 5,000 miles.

But when you heat them, holy hell!!! They will snap your neck. Just don't get them as a street tire, they weren't designed to be used as one.

2011 Mustang GT - Kona Blue, 6MT, Brembos, 3.73s, Everything but auto & glass roof.
BMR Springs, K&N Drop-in, Magnaflow Street Axle-backs.
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

I know, as I had BFG drag radials on my 2003 Mustang Cobra for a few thousand miles... but was good for accleration, just not really designed to turn or for rain...

2011 Candy Apple red Mustang Premium GT, auto, Baer brakes, lowered, SVT Shelby Wheels 19" front and 20" rear with Goodyear F1 tires.

post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Continental DWS is also a contender....

2011 Candy Apple red Mustang Premium GT, auto, Baer brakes, lowered, SVT Shelby Wheels 19" front and 20" rear with Goodyear F1 tires.
Grimace427

We just started selling the Continental ExtremeContact DWS as Mercedes Benz factory replacements and they seem like very good tires at very very reasonable prices. However they are made more for all-season than a summer tire like the Conti Extreme DW. No idea on tread life as they havent been available here for that long.
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimace427 View Post
I too have been torn on this subject. I have the brembos with pirelli's that I have been babying thinking that I would be selling them for wider wheels/tires. They are great tires albeit with a short lifespan and hefty pricetag. Being a Mercedes tech I see all the name brand tires, Pirelli, Continental, Michelin, Bridgestone.
But after doing some research I found a shootout done by Car&Driver with TireRack where the Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110 came out on top. Hardly the end-all be-all for this discussion but the Hankooks scored well in some key areas including tire life(15k-25kmiles), road noise, and best of all price($200 for stock size 255/40zr19).
I had the Hankook Ventus V12 Evo tires on my SS/SC cobalt. Nice tire for sure. I would try them again on the Mustang if need be. I did like the thought of trying the Dunlop tires from that review.

2011 5.0 Performance White Premuim 3.73 6spd manual HID Heated Seats bone stock (for now)
9/2010 build date
post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Just bought Firestone Big Oval tires, size 245/45 ZR17 for my wife's Acura TL type S, after Tire Rack's survey rated it the top summer performance tire over many others, including the Hankook Ventus, at $111 per tire, less discounts for using their credit card, etc. Will see how they compare to the Michelin on now....

Banned
4.6L Member

I got a set of new Bridgestone Potenza RE070s...man do those things hook, handle and ride great...temp A, traction A and a 320 treadwear rating, considered "high performace summer tires", perfect for warm climates....expensive, but you get what you pay for.
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011candyredGT View Post
Just bought Firestone Big Oval tires, size 245/45 ZR17 for my wife's Acura TL type S, after Tire Rack's survey rated it the top summer performance tire over many others, including the Hankook Ventus, at $111 per tire, less discounts for using their credit card, etc. Will see how they compare to the Michelin on now....
Those sound like an excellent option. Price point and performance rating. I wonder if car and driver will do an updated test with tire rack or is the review you are referring to the updated test from C&D? The last test I read about published about 18 months ago. Plenty of time for new shoes to come out.

2011 5.0 Performance White Premuim 3.73 6spd manual HID Heated Seats bone stock (for now)
9/2010 build date
Apprentice

Quote:
Continental DWS is also a contender....
I almost bought the Continental DW (not DWS, I have no need for an all-season tire living in AL), but decided on the Sumitomo HTR Z IIIs because of price. The Conti DW tires look and sound great, though. I will likely buy them next time.

I thought I would report back about the Sumitomos since I've now had them for about 500 miles, and we've had some nice weather down here in Alabama recently so I've had a chance to test them out. They are not quite as grippy as the stock Pirelli PZeros were, but to be fair, it has only been 60-70 degrees, so I'm sure they will be much better when April hits and the 90+ degree weather comes.

I'm very impressed so far. They grip really well in the rain. Dry traction is awesome; I can finally floor my car again in first and second! Tire noise is low, definitely better than the Pirellis, and they ride better. I had no problems with balancing or mounting, so overall, they have been a good buy. I definitely recommend them, especially for the price. If you want a serious performance tire without paying $1400-1500, check these out. Mine were $976, installed, mounted, balanced, with an alignment, too.

2011 Mustang GT - Kona Blue, 6MT, Brembos, 3.73s, Everything but auto & glass roof.
BMR Springs, K&N Drop-in, Magnaflow Street Axle-backs.

Last edited by Bama5.0; 02-19-2011 at 08:37 PM. Reason: adding content
Rookie

Quote:
I like the Goodyear supercar tires, but I have not really pushed them. They handle well on the Pasadena freeway, and are not noisy. My guess is they will not last long, and are expensive to replace. They are unidirectional and staggered in sizes so no rotation. My mechanic recommends the Nitto tires as a good compromise, but prefers drag radials for accleration, not handling.
I love the 110 fwy. It is fun but have not been on it with stang yet.
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

The out the door price with alignment, and discount was $600 for four tires, Firestone Wide Oval Indy 500's in 245/45 ZR17. Ride well, quiet and handle nicely...

PONY Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
The out the door price with alignment, and discount was $600 for four tires, Firestone Wide Oval Indy 500's in 245/45 ZR17. Ride well, quiet and handle nicely...
Not bad.....................

9/2010 build date
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
replacement tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page