Brembo brake problems - do they need to be bled? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Brembo brake problems - do they need to be bled?

I am having intermittent issues with the brakes being 'squishy' on my brembo package car. Most of the time when I drive it, the brake pedal is difficult to modulate and the amount of travel is inconsistent. It feels squishy and the brakes seem to come on really suddenly, so it's hard to have a smooth stop. Other times I will get into the car and the pedal is stiff and applies pressure sooner, like I would expect it to do.

Has anyone else had similar issues? Should I take it to the dealer?

2011 Kona Blue GT | MT - 25k miles - For Sale

2008 911 Turbo Convertible | MT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011
S197 Mustang Owner
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to hotshot
Stainless steel lines won't flex so they may eliminate your issue if you're willing to mod the brakes

2007 Mustang GT Convertible Stage 0 E-Force #402 Supercharger, Brenspeed Tune (435/400), GT500 Fuel pump, Clutch Delete Option, Roush Front Fascia, Brembos, California Dream Hood, Qwitch latch flush mount hood pins, MRT Light Bar, J&M LCA's, BMR UCA, UPR catch can, 6000k, Pypes Bombs, Pypes X-pipe, Airbrushed Flame pieces under the hood, Clear corners, GT500 shocks , FRPP P-springs (rear), BMR Adj Panhard, E-Force engine covers
2012 Ford Focus SEL 5Dr with MyFordTouch, Auto-Park, 303A Package,

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011
PONY Member

While the SS lines would improve brake feel, it shouldn't be inconsistent like that with the stock lines. My brakes have always been smooth and predictable so far in the first 2300 miles. I would probably take it in and have it looked at. Could be a problem and you don't want to screw around with a brake problem and end up with no brakes when something fails completely.

2011 Kona Blue Mustang GT Premium Coupe - 401A, 6MT, Brembo, Comfort, Security, HIDs, Rear Camera
Steeda CAI, Magnaflow X-Pipe, Bama tune, Flowmaster Hushpower Axle-Backs, Ford Racing 4.10s, Barton Shifter & Bracket, JLT Oil Separator, BMR LCAs & Relocation Brackets, Steeda Adjustable UCA
13.31 @ 109.6 at 7,383' DA

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011
PONY Member

i flush with RBF600 after every road course event. it does get squishy if you boil the fluid.

2013 Boss 302
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roybotnik View Post
I am having intermittent issues with the brakes being 'squishy' on my brembo package car. Most of the time when I drive it, the brake pedal is difficult to modulate and the amount of travel is inconsistent. It feels squishy and the brakes seem to come on really suddenly, so it's hard to have a smooth stop. Other times I will get into the car and the pedal is stiff and applies pressure sooner, like I would expect it to do.

Has anyone else had similar issues? Should I take it to the dealer?
Have the brakes bled and pressure tested, then see what it's like. Sounds like air in the system to me.

2014 GT500
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011
PONY Member
S197 Member

Your car is still under warrenty, I presume.....Why would you not take it to the dealer?

05GT, 09 GT500 Drivetrain, 2.6 pulley, JLT intake, 18x9.5 GT500 wheels, 14" Brembos, 2014 rear brakes, 14 cooling fan, Cortex racing Koni Coilovers, Cortex Watts Link BMR:K-Member, Tube rad support, adj upper third link, rear relo brackets,JBA long tubes and catted mid pipe, Stillen adj front & rear sway bars, Bump steer kit, Steeda shifter, Spydershaft Aluminum DS.
John Lund tune, 568 rwhp, 560 tq.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyalpusa View Post
Your car is still under warrenty, I presume.....Why would you not take it to the dealer?
What he said .... !

Arrived on 6/17!!

2012 GT Premium 400A Black/Black: 3.73,
Brembo, Security, Rear Sensors & Camera, HID's, Comfort
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-13-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

I probably will but since I live about 10 miles outside of Washington, DC, I can't trust anyone to touch my car. I only ever bring cars in to a shop as a last resort. The quality of people in general around here just freaking sucks. Can't wait to move somewhere else. It is like living in a third world country.

Just as an example, I had a BMW X3 that was serviced under warranty because of a hard shifting automatic trans. After the first trip, the car came back with a drive-shaft out of balance and the whole car would shake randomly. Had to drop the car off, they claimed they couldn't reproduce it. Came in, had the issue reproduced in about 1 minute of driving, and they fixed it. Picked the car up and the steering wheel was now on crooked. I have had similar terrible experiences with Honda dealers, one resulting in my 2008 Accord being bought back under lemon law.

Plus I wanted to see if anyone else had similar probs. I kinda want to bleed and put in DOT4 fluid anyways....already have a motive bleeder, just need the adapter.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-13-2011
PONY Member

brake bleeding

You need to electronically bleed your brakes. You have to do this before you bleed them the old fashioned way. Bring it to Ford to have it done right or find a shop with some up to date computer equipment and ABS diagnostics tools.

2004 SY Cobra, Pulley, CAI, Exhaust, Baer Brakes (458 rwhp & 479 rwtq) Projected completion June 2012

2011 RaceRed 5.0 6M; Brembo's, HIDs, Security, & 3.73s; 738 rwhp & 531 rwtq - Sold

2012 Limited Expedition EL
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Alright, I'll take it in. What do they need to do with it electronically?

PONY Member

Quote:
Alright, I'll take it in. What do they need to do with it electronically?
I'd like to respectfully disagree with Entrenched. If you have a Motiv bleeder, then bleed the brakes with it. If that doesn't fix the problem, then take it to a dealer to have the ABS/DSC pump bled. But do it yourself first - I would.

Also, I used to use Castrol SRF fluid in my BMW but I'm using the Motorcraft branded fluid (DOT3) in the Mustang for track days. The temp ratings are not that different, and the Ford fluid is cheaper.

2014 GT500
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Well I brought it in, and as expected, the techs said they think the brakes feel fine. Utter ********. I have a Honda CR-V and the brakes in that are much more responsive and solid feeling. I've owned an E55 AMG, BMW 3-series, X3, Supra, all had better, firmer brakes. There is no friggin way this brembo package is supposed to feel like this.

Guess I'll buy the adapter to my motive bleeder.

PONY Member

Quote:
Well I brought it in, and as expected, the techs said they think the brakes feel fine. Utter ********. I have a Honda CR-V and the brakes in that are much more responsive and solid feeling. I've owned an E55 AMG, BMW 3-series, X3, Supra, all had better, firmer brakes. There is no friggin way this brembo package is supposed to feel like this.

Guess I'll buy the adapter to my motive bleeder.
Get a friend to help. I own three pressure bleeders and I still get a family member to push the pedal when I want it absolutely done right.

The Brembo package is solid. I put in Goodridge lines recently and its easier to modulate, but the truth is that even with the standard hoses, it's really good.

2014 GT500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page