New Steeda CAI and Bama Tunes Install - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

New Steeda CAI and Bama Tunes Install

I just installed a Steeda CAI and Bama Tunes 93 Street Tune on my 2011 GT 6spd manual. I got them from American Muscle. Here are my impressions:

First, I'll start off with the Good: The car just got a bigger set of b*lls! The increase in power is very noticeable. The head being thrust against the headrest phenomenon is very much present. I had to come home and change my underwear. At idle there isn't much change in sound. When you acclelerate, the sound is noticably louder. A very pleasant growl. The Bama Tune installed flawlessly and the car idled flawlessley from the start. The people at American Muscle got my order exactlly right with the three tunes I selected. Performance wise I'm a happy camper. The Steeda parts were well matched for the vehicle set up once you figured out where they went.

Second, the not so good: The Steeda CAI comes with a plain sheet metal open box that has been cut and welded. It is unpainted and had numerous scratches on the interior surfaces of the box. This didn't happen in shipping as everything is wrapped. For some reason the exterior is protected by peelable PVC, but the inside isn't. So your air filter is sitting above scratched sheet metal. The installation instructions for the CAI are HORRIBLE. They are on a single sheet of double sided printing. Some of the pictures seem to be reversed left vs. right as if you're looking in a mirror. You have to guess which way the two bottom brackets go on. Unfortunately I guessed wrong on the larger one and had to redo it. The screws, nuts and washers all come in one plastic bag with no labels identifying the differnt sizes. This isn't rocket science, it's just poor attention to detail. The larger of the two rubber gaskets which makes the seal with the hood, doesn't stay put. You have to cut the bottom portion at every corner for it to go on properly, but they don't tell you that. I found out from someone's posting. The ends of the larger gasket refuse to stay in place so I guess I have to get some contact cement. There are no instructions on how to maintain the filter. If Steeda spent as much time on their kit as they did on their web site promoting it with all the dyno tests, maybe it would look better and be easier to install. (Disclaimer-This is just my opinion for whatever it's worth.)

Overall, I'm very happy with the results. I had been thinking about getting a KB supercharger but for $7,000 less and not having to buy rubber underwear, I think I'll stick with this for now.
Best regards,
Scott

Best regards,
Scott
2011 GT Premium,6-Speed Manual, Black on Black, "Bama Tunes For Life", Steeda CAI, Roush Axle Backs, J&M Extreme Joint LCA's, Koni Yellows, Steeda Sport Springs, AR Torq Thrust Chrome 18x9;18x10, Michelin Pilot Sport AS/3 255/45/18; 285/40/18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011
PONY Member

I just installed this same combo last weekend and have to agree on the crappy instructions for assembling the CAI. It was a pain to figure out which bolts they were talking about just from the sizes. Would have been nice if they'd been in separate baggies marked A, B, C or something.

I have just left the ends of the large rubber edging and am planning on eventually getting some contact cement as well. It doesn't affect the seal against the hood, but it does look bad if you're showing off your engine bay.

Which tune did you load up? Performance or Race? I have only been running the Performance tune so far and I think I'm going to try out the Race tune tonight. I also am pretty sure my gear selection is off because I'm almost positive my speedometer is incorrect right now. The form had asked which gear ratio I had when I ordered the tune so I didn't think I'd need to change it when I flashed the tune but I guess I should have gone in there and double-checked it anyway.

2011 Kona Blue Mustang GT Premium Coupe - 401A, 6MT, Brembo, Comfort, Security, HIDs, Rear Camera
Steeda CAI, Magnaflow X-Pipe, Bama tune, Flowmaster Hushpower Axle-Backs, Ford Racing 4.10s, Barton Shifter & Bracket, JLT Oil Separator, BMR LCAs & Relocation Brackets, Steeda Adjustable UCA
13.31 @ 109.6 at 7,383' DA
post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

I am running the 93 Street Tune to start. I wanted to start slow.

Best regards,
Scott
2011 GT Premium,6-Speed Manual, Black on Black, "Bama Tunes For Life", Steeda CAI, Roush Axle Backs, J&M Extreme Joint LCA's, Koni Yellows, Steeda Sport Springs, AR Torq Thrust Chrome 18x9;18x10, Michelin Pilot Sport AS/3 255/45/18; 285/40/18

post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011
Apprentice

I agree the instructions are pure crap. My car is an auto and the tubing they sent for the PCV hookup was way too short. Luckily that hose is readily available at any autoparts store and relatively cheap.

The good is that the CAI and tune woke this beast up.

2003 Mach 1 Zinc Yellow 5-speed
2011 GT500 Convertible Sterling Gray, SVTPP, NAV
2011 GT/CS Performance White, Auto, Glass Roof, NAV
2012 Boss 302 Yellow Blaze
post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011
PONY Member

There is a different model # for the auto, maybe they sent you the one for the manual.

2011 Kona Blue Mustang GT Premium Coupe - 401A, 6MT, Brembo, Comfort, Security, HIDs, Rear Camera
Steeda CAI, Magnaflow X-Pipe, Bama tune, Flowmaster Hushpower Axle-Backs, Ford Racing 4.10s, Barton Shifter & Bracket, JLT Oil Separator, BMR LCAs & Relocation Brackets, Steeda Adjustable UCA
13.31 @ 109.6 at 7,383' DA
post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by erod550 View Post
There is a different model # for the auto, maybe they sent you the one for the manual.
It could have been. The inlet tube was wrapped in brown paper an labled automatic if I remember correctly. I think they just put 2 short hoses in by mistake.

2003 Mach 1 Zinc Yellow 5-speed
2011 GT500 Convertible Sterling Gray, SVTPP, NAV
2011 GT/CS Performance White, Auto, Glass Roof, NAV
2012 Boss 302 Yellow Blaze
post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011
Apprentice

I prefer the JLT CF version over the Steeda
post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-13-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDKPerformance View Post
I prefer the JLT CF version over the Steeda
I looked at amany reviews, considered JLT and Steeda and chose the Steeda. Why do you prefer the JLT?

Best regards,
Scott
post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-13-2011
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I remember BAMA stating they got the best results with an Airaid CAI. Just some food for thought.

2011 GT, Blaze Yellow, 3.55's, 19" SVE Drift Wheels, Premium, 55D Springs, J&M Pan Hard Bar, Comfort Group, Security Package, JLT Oil Separator, GT 500 Axle Back, Eleanor Grill, Barefoot Gas Pedal
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

It's pretty disappointing when you pay a good buck expecting a fair degree of fit & quality,but get broadsided by a sub par finish...and NO, I am not bashing Steeda,but people DO expect and SHOULD receive a quality built CAI... I heard good positive reviews about the tunes from Steeda,but also a fair number of complaints regarding the poor quality of their CAI's.
Lack of attention to detail is what disappoints customers ,especially with something like a CAI,and yes, people do want to show off their new CAI, but not if it's full of scratches,parts that fit badly and a general appearance that screams "we already got paid"

2011 GTCS Candy Red;Premium leather interior package, Remote start, security package, upgraded speakers, 6MT 3:55. 35% tint all around, Borla "S" axle backs, & clear corners.
The rest is all FORD
post #11 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-13-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0 Candy REDCS View Post
It's pretty disappointing when you pay a good buck expecting a fair degree of fit & quality,but get broadsided by a sub par finish...and NO, I am not bashing Steeda,but people DO expect and SHOULD receive a quality built CAI... I heard good positive reviews about the tunes from Steeda,but also a fair number of complaints regarding the poor quality of their CAI's.
Lack of attention to detail is what disappoints customers ,especially with something like a CAI,and yes, people do want to show off their new CAI, but not if it's full of scratches,parts that fit badly and a general appearance that screams "we already got paid"
My sentiments exactly.
I will give Steeda credit for the facts that the CAI fits as well as the stock CAI and works well. The custom Bama tune (93 Street) from American Muscle is awesome. It throws you back in you seat.

Best regards,
Scott
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Just installed an Airaid CAI and it was easy, great fit and quality looking as well. A lot cheaper than Steeda too!

2011 GT, Blaze Yellow, 3.55's, 19" SVE Drift Wheels, Premium, 55D Springs, J&M Pan Hard Bar, Comfort Group, Security Package, JLT Oil Separator, GT 500 Axle Back, Eleanor Grill, Barefoot Gas Pedal
PONY Member

Paint that Steeda and nothing will even come close to looking as nice.

2011 GT 6M - List is long... too long
GT Member
Classic Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RADR LUV View Post
Just installed an Airaid CAI and it was easy, great fit and quality looking as well. A lot cheaper than Steeda too!
How's that ProCal tune with the Airaid working for ya? No surprises when installing the Airaid? I only ask because I'm about to pull the trigger on the Airaid/Bama tune combo from American Muscle.

-2011 GT , 6AT, ROUSH TVS 2300 Phase 3 Supercharger w/ CAI, 82mm Pully, 3.73 FRPP Gears, Bassani Longtubes, Bassani HiFlo Cats., Bassani Cat-Back Xhaust, Eibach Pro Suspension, J&M Panhard bar, BMR LCAs, BRENSPEED Tuned...(More in profile)
-1965 Fastback "A-Code" 2+2 , 289 4bbl Edlebrock Performance, Ravin Exhaust..
-1970 BOSS 302 - Dearborn built, Numbers matching 302 engine bored .030 over and stroked to 331. Grabber Blue
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiZ_65 View Post
How's that ProCal tune with the Airaid working for ya? No surprises when installing the Airaid? I only ask because I'm about to pull the trigger on the Airaid/Bama tune combo from American Muscle.
The Procal with the Airaid is working great! A big difference over the K&N drop in. Installation of the Airaid couldn't have been easier. I actually had my 13 year son read the instructions and walk me through it. Figured it would be a good learning lesson for him and make him apart of the whole process. He didn't have any issues with it at all. The instructions come as pictures with captions at the bottom of each one. Whole process took an hour which included having to remove the strut tower brace in order to remove over head plastic cover. Couldn't be happier. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page