lateral loads on chassis on very soft compound tire - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-15-2011 Thread Starter
GT Member

lateral loads on chassis on very soft compound tire

Any long term Mustang owners here have any insight into added stuctural needs as a consequence of using a very soft racing compound tire on a road course track?

I'm sure the underside can handle R888's and RA1's with no problem laterally... afterall it is built for the track and those are only 100's.

But when you start getting down to C91 Hankook compounds.... down around 40-50 UTQG ratings... there are some added lateral loads involved. Curious as to common areas that need improvement under there... Someone suggested there is something needed in the differential area as a result of the extra loads.

Any insight based on road course based evidence with this chassis? I'm assuming it's the same chassis since 2005?

Bryce
---------
Track Rat #1 - VF supercharged e46 bimmer
Track Rat #2 - Kona 5.0 Premium | 3.73 MT82 | 400A | glass roof | saddle int. | Brembo Pkg | Com. & Sec. Pkg | camera | HID | Nav | no stripes | MM camberplates | Bilstein springs & Eibach dampers | Stock 368 RWHP @ 6700 / 354 TQ @ 4375 - Build Date 6-17-10
Sunny Day: Kawasaki 1600 with hypercharger and tune.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-15-2011
PONY Member

cant be any worse than using a drag slick and 4.10's right?

the tires would break loose before anything chassis related even suffered a tiny bit of stress... or at least i would hope lol

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-15-2011
Grimace427

Shaun aka Stinger1982 has been running roadcourses and auto-x's with Hoosier A6s on Roush forged 18x10's with plenty of success. He's on a few other forums but a google search comes up with some sweet pics. He has the grabber blue car with the Roush front bumper.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-15-2011
Rookie
S197 Member

Iv'e used both R888's and the R6's and can vouch what some track guys will tell you that the R888 are best with the lighter cars (Miata's, S2K's etc.). The mustang is a heavy car and with R comp. tires you'll be pulling more than a G. Unless you got a crazy deal on the R888 I wouldn't get them, IMO.

2011 Mustang GT
Red Candy tint
Security Pkg.
3:73 gears
HID
Brembo brake pkg.
TRACK BOUND!!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011 Thread Starter
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang racer View Post
Iv'e used both R888's and the R6's and can vouch what some track guys will tell you that the R888 are best with the lighter cars (Miata's, S2K's etc.). The mustang is a heavy car and with R comp. tires you'll be pulling more than a G. Unless you got a crazy deal on the R888 I wouldn't get them, IMO.
sounds right... I use the RA1's on my other car that weighs in at 3100 or so... the guys with lighter cars have even better success (wear) than I do on the lighter loads.

Bryce
---------
Track Rat #1 - VF supercharged e46 bimmer
Track Rat #2 - Kona 5.0 Premium | 3.73 MT82 | 400A | glass roof | saddle int. | Brembo Pkg | Com. & Sec. Pkg | camera | HID | Nav | no stripes | MM camberplates | Bilstein springs & Eibach dampers | Stock 368 RWHP @ 6700 / 354 TQ @ 4375 - Build Date 6-17-10
Sunny Day: Kawasaki 1600 with hypercharger and tune.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page