FORD X Pipe - yes or no? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

FORD X Pipe - yes or no?

Wondering if I bother with the Ford X pipe?

Putting the 500 mufflers on -Do I bother with the ford X pipe?

Prefer deeper H pipe sound but only H pipe I can see is the hearthrob which has somewhat mixed reviews (fittment, drone, etc)

Might I lose lowend torque with the ford X pipe? Is the sound much different? Should I just keep the stock H - how bad is it really?

Appreciate your thoughts!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011
PONY Member

Are you wanting Catback only? Lethal performance has an H pipe but it deletes the cats.

2012 White Red Stripes GT500 540/522
-SW Full exhaust -2.8 Metco pulley
2004 White Lightning C&L CAI,exhaust,tuned
2011 Sterling Grey5.0 SOLD
3.73-M6-MGW-AED tuned-JBA Full exhaust-BMR Suspension-423/401
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadCammer5.0 View Post
Are you wanting Catback only? Lethal performance has an H pipe but it deletes the cats.
Yes- cat back only! want the cats.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011
Apprentice

Hell yes, get it. the stock h piping is restrictive like hell. I would say a solid 7WHP with just the xpipe is attainable. the rasp wont be nearly as bad because the converters will still be on the car and i think itll give it a VERY nice aggressive sound with the mufflers and not too loud though. DO IT!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011
Rookie
5.0L Member

i was also looking into getting the ford x-pipe, i have used ford headers before but never an x-pipe. i also wanna keep the cats. any info would be great!

2011 GT 5.0 300A Race Red/Black, 6spd, 3.73 gears, Borla Atak cat-back system, MGP Caliper Covers

1995 GT 5.0 Lazer Red/Black & Tan, Edlebrock Performer RPM intake, Ford Racing Headers, BBK X-pipe, Flowmasters, 3.73 gears, Hotchkis Control Arms, FFRP Drag Racing Springs, Underdrive Pulleys, BBK Cold Air, Steeda Tri-ax Shifter, Saleen S-351 wing, A/C and Smog deletes
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011
GT Member

With respect guys -- If he keeps the stock cats, there is no way that an aftermarket X-pipe gives 7 HP over the stock H-pipe. All other things held equal, an X-pipe gives no HP over an H, there is only a sound difference. If the aftermarket pipe is truly less restrictive to any measurable degree (which I doubt), he might see 1/2 HP difference. No human on earth will feel that, and it's even within a reasonable margin of error on a dyno.

Now, getting rid of the cats, or going with the less restrictive high flow cats, changes that entirely.

My advice would be to get rid of the stock cats or don't bother. If you go cat-less, you'll pick up top end power but lose a slight amount of torque down low. You'll likely need to retune the car for the lack of cats. If you have a tune already, you might notice the loss of torque. If you don't have a tune now, the power increase from the new tune will mask the loss of torque when you remove the cats.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cidsamuth View Post
With respect guys -- If he keeps the stock cats, there is no way that an aftermarket X-pipe gives 7 HP over the stock H-pipe. All other things held equal, an X-pipe gives no HP over an H, there is only a sound difference. If the aftermarket pipe is truly less restrictive to any measurable degree (which I doubt), he might see 1/2 HP difference. No human on earth will feel that, and it's even within a reasonable margin of error on a dyno.

Now, getting rid of the cats, or going with the less restrictive high flow cats, changes that entirely.

My advice would be to get rid of the stock cats or don't bother. If you go cat-less, you'll pick up top end power but lose a slight amount of torque down low. You'll likely need to retune the car for the lack of cats. If you have a tune already, you might notice the loss of torque. If you don't have a tune now, the power increase from the new tune will mask the loss of torque when you remove the cats.
I was going to post the same exact thing...so, since you've posted it, I'll second!

2011 Kona Blue 5.0 / 400A / MT82 / 3.55 / Brembo Pkg / Comfort Pkg / Security Pkg
Mods: Stuff
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011
PONY Member
S197 Member

With all that being said, then would it be ideal to get just a catback system and leave the stock H-pipe and headers? If so, how much HP gain am I looking at through the catbacks?

2013 Mustang GT Premium
Build Date: 01/14/2013
  • Ford Performance 3.73 Gears
  • MGW Race Spec Shifter
  • Flowmaster Outlaw Catbacks
  • American Racing Long Tube Headers / off road x-pipe
  • Ford Performance Cobra Jet Intake Manifold
  • Ford Performance 65mm Cobra Jet Twin Blade T/B
  • Ford Performance Cobra Jet CAI
  • SCT Tune
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011
GT Member

If you leave the stock headers and cats, you won't see any real HP gain -- only a sound difference.

If the aftermarket midpipe and catback is less restrictive, it is theoretically possible to squeeze out 1 HP or so, but nothing you'd notice.

Real HP gains come with new headers and cats (or removal of the cats for the price of low end torque loss).
Rookie

The stock H pipe necks down to a reduced diameter which is why Ford Racing and Corsa offer replacements that are the full 3 inch diameter.

See here: http://image.mustang50magazine.com/f...ust_system.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page