Chirp / belt noise when warm - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011 Thread Starter
GT Member

Chirp / belt noise when warm

Love the car, no real issues to speak of; other than I seem to have some kind of weird "chirp" or noisy belt when the car gets warm. The car does not do it when it's cold. But after it's been running for about 60 seconds it starts. Almost sounds like a bad bearing, belt tensioner or something like that. If the RPM goes up, the noise goes up. It's coming from the engine bay for sure. Can't hear it as well from the top of the car with the hood open as much as you can from the sides of the car near the wheel wells, or under the car. Weird.

Any ideas? I know, I know.. Take it to the dealer... Right? I just thought maybe you guys have heard of this. I googled it and used the search function but I didn't find anything.

Thanks.

2014 Mustang GT/CS - Coupe
Sterling Gray
Manual Trans
Glass Roof
Navigation
Comfort
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011
GT Member

Airman, I have complained about the same thing since driving the car off the lot in June. If you listen closely, I bet it is much worse from right behind the passenger side front wheel well, right?

It can sometimes sound bad from the driver's side too, but only because it is reverberating under the car. Sounds like a cross between a tick and a chirp. Almost a "sht, sht, sht" sound like a really old drive belt. It only comes when the car is warm. Wait until summer -- it is much worse when the car is really hot. Also makes the car sound like a turd when up against a wall, like in the garage or in a drive-thru. It's actually much harder to hear with the hood up.

At first, Ford called it a "normal operating characteristic." After it got worse, they tried a couple of things, to include re-torquing the cam caps. Nothing seemed to work. It has no effect on performance, just makes the car sound crappy.

post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011 Thread Starter
GT Member

Thanks.... You pretty much hit the nail right on the head. I can really hear it when I pass by other cars in the neighborhood, like when they are sitting still and I am rolling down a hill idling.

I'm not too worried about it. Just thought there was maybe a fix. I have a pretty good dealer so I guess I'll just wait it out some and see what happens.

Sterling Gray
Manual Trans
Glass Roof
Navigation
Comfort

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Dropped mine off at the dealer today for the same noise I well let you now if they find something

2012 GT 5.0 Ingot Silver 6M,401A, RR sensing sys/security pkg.,19" painted alum wheels,GT coupe accessory Pkg 5, Ford Racing SVT Sport axle-back mufflers w/o resonators, MGW shifter, Airaid cai/Steeda 93 tune, Boss quad exhaust.

post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011
GT Member

The engineer who originally called the sound a "normal operating characteristic" said it was louder on the passenger side because the engine is "bias" to that side. I'm honestily not sure what to think of that.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011 Thread Starter
GT Member

What a bunch of BS. It does not bother me THAT bad, but it is quite annoying.

Still, I seem to forget all about it when I slam my right foot down

Sterling Gray
Manual Trans
Glass Roof
Navigation
Comfort
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang Airman View Post
Love the car, no real issues to speak of; other than I seem to have some kind of weird "chirp" or noisy belt when the car gets warm. The car does not do it when it's cold. But after it's been running for about 60 seconds it starts. Almost sounds like a bad bearing, belt tensioner or something like that. If the RPM goes up, the noise goes up. It's coming from the engine bay for sure. Can't hear it as well from the top of the car with the hood open as much as you can from the sides of the car near the wheel wells, or under the car. Weird.

Any ideas? I know, I know.. Take it to the dealer... Right? I just thought maybe you guys have heard of this. I googled it and used the search function but I didn't find anything.

Thanks.
I have gone through hell with Ford about this issue. I went to a Ford dealership over six times in problems relating to this issue. They said they replaced the belt tensioner, idler pulley, and serpentine belt. They gave me the same BS about how it's a normal noise and that it's a normal feature of the engine. I believe its a design flaw and the belt tensioner and idler pulley are made of "garbage" material; abs plastic and rubber. I can't believe Ford would put this "garbage" into a high performance car. Well, me and mechanic fixed the problem by buying stronger pulleys. When we took the pulleys out, the belt tensioner and idler pulley were chaffed and bits of plastic were falling off. The water pump pulley was scratched too. I bought a Belt Tensioner/Idler pulley pack and a water pump pulley from Steeda Autosports. Both are made of aluminum and the chirping has disappeared.

Here's a link to Late Model Restoration, they have the parts as of now.

2011 Mustang Steeda Billet Idler And Tensioner Pulley Kit at LRS - Same Day Shipping!

$79.99

2011 Mustang Steeda Billet Water Pump Pulley at LRS - Same Day Shipping!

$94.99
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011 Thread Starter
GT Member

Thats such BS. I am glad you found a fix, but to have to spend a couple hundred bucks plus labor to fix a new car is out of line....

How much time did you install take? Just curious.....

Sterling Gray
Manual Trans
Glass Roof
Navigation
Comfort
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011
Apprentice

Mine does the same thing. I smiled at how well the above descriptions match my findings. Pass side wheel well. Mine does it all the time cold or hot. I though I saw in another forum that a TSB was pending for this one and Im just waiting abit to see if one yields.
Banned

try some dielectric grease on the belt. once the weather gets nice here. i might try it. usually works great.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dastoplightking View Post
I have gone through hell with Ford about this issue. I went to a Ford dealership over six times in problems relating to this issue. They said they replaced the belt tensioner, idler pulley, and serpentine belt. They gave me the same BS about how it's a normal noise and that it's a normal feature of the engine. I believe its a design flaw and the belt tensioner and idler pulley are made of "garbage" material; abs plastic and rubber. I can't believe Ford would put this "garbage" into a high performance car. Well, me and mechanic fixed the problem by buying stronger pulleys. When we took the pulleys out, the belt tensioner and idler pulley were chaffed and bits of plastic were falling off. The water pump pulley was scratched too. I bought a Belt Tensioner/Idler pulley pack and a water pump pulley from Steeda Autosports. Both are made of aluminum and the chirping has disappeared.

2011 Mustang Steeda Billet Idler And Tensioner Pulley Kit at LRS - Same Day Shipping!

$79.99

$94.99

how many miles since u have donw the change? and how hard were they to install?
GT Member

Shadowstang, I'm so proud of you. When I saw your name as the last poster, I thought for sure you would have spoken up to criticize those with concerns.

Brings a tear to me eye.
Apprentice

Garage
Quote:

$79.99

$94.99
Are these all that is needed for the change?

Thanks,TC
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dastoplightking View Post

$79.99

$94.99
Before folks start rushing out and ordering these parts, which "tick" does it address? Can you better describe the symptoms you were experiencing that were fixed with these parts? What did the tick sound like? From where was it loudest? Under what conditions, e.g. idle, load, cruising, hot/cold?
FordService

Hello members,

Please remember that I am here to help. Please bring your vehicles in to your Ford dealer for diagnosis and then message me with your contact info, dealer, mileage, and VIN so I can help.

Deysha

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page