A 2011 Shelby Mustang Axleback Testimonial - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Thumbs up A 2011 Shelby Mustang Axleback Testimonial

OK, I bought these from Latemodel Restoration Tuesday night. I received them Friday afternoon, and installed them yesterday morning.

I paid $285 shipped to my door. After I ordered I found other guys getting them a little bit cheaper, but did not want to go through the hassle of cancelling one order that shipped almost as soon as I ordered, and creating a new order for just $10 savings.

Took about an hour and a half with normal hand tools, and a set of composite ramps from O'Reilly's Auto Parts. I jacked up the car using a piece of wood under the axle center section, and slid the ramps in under it. I didnt trust driving up the ramps in reverse..... Once under the car, I loosened the muffler clamp, and I had to loosen and partially remove the mid-pipes (unbolted from front clamp, and slid out and moved out of way). Also, while installing the driver's side muffler, had a hard time getting inboard (closer to center of vehicle) hanger into rubber mount. Solved this issue by cutting just 1/4 inch off of hanger with a hacksaw, and everything went in just fine.

Overall install was very simple, aside from the minor hanger hickup, which had a simple solution. Anyone else run into this??

Now for results. I will not be posting videos, as there are several already, AND, I know the equipment (cameras) that I have will not take good video with sufficient sound.....

On first fire-up, it had a nasty, mean sounding snarl. After it warmed up, it quieted down to a beasty rumble at idle.
Acceleration, from inside the car, sounds intense, and hardcore! I have the 6spd manual, and decellerating in gear sounds racecar-ish from inside vehicle.

I will agree with what some others have posted before - that these mufflers are what the car should have come with from the factory. They sound sweet all the way around, AND, you can add me to the 'No Drone' club involved with these mufflers.

The 4 inch tips fill in the factory bumper/rear valance soooo much better than stock.

In closing, I will say that I will recommend these to anyone who wants a solid sounding muffler system, that has a great sound under accelerating load, a fun and mean sounding decelleration tone, a meaty idle rumble, and No Drone.

Sorry for the long post, and thanks for reading!!!

Matt
2011 Mustang GT
Race Red
3.55's, Security, Comfort, 401A, MT-82
Mods:GT500 Axlebacks, Side Window Louvres, and Tinted Windows, Ford Racing M-FR3-MGTAA Adjustable Suspension, BMR Adj. Panhard Bar, BMR Control Arm Relocation, CDC Chin Spoiler

Last edited by Alticavis; 03-20-2011 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Spelling/Grammar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011
BOSS Member

Garage
You sold me.

Shadow Black 2018 GT 10R80-355
post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011
PONY Member

Yeah, this endorsement has me pretty convinced also.

-FISHTAIL
92GT Custom Built 331 Stroker. -- Waiting on some finishing touches.
2011 5.0 GT Coupe
03 Cobra Vert: 12.67 @ 121.66mph (SOLD)
03 Cobra Coupe....Heavily Modded Money Pit (SOLD)
Proud Member of the Mid-Atlantic Cobra Association

post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHTAIL View Post
Yeah, this endorsement has me pretty convinced also.

I was about there anyways but I think he just shoved me over the edge.

2011 Black GT Premium, Brembo brake pkg, 3.73 gears, 6 speed.
Barton shifter and bracket. Gt 500 axlebacks. Eibach pro springs. Redline tuning hood shocks.
post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I also had a hell of a time getting the driver's side in the mounts. From what I've heard, it's much easier if you loosen the midpipe clamps.

I just wrestled with it until I got it to go in.

2011 Kona Blue 5.0 / 400A / MT82 / 3.55 / Brembo Pkg / Comfort Pkg / Security Pkg
Mods: Stuff
post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Glad I could help you guys make your decision!! Ill tell ya, my plan initially was to get these first (due to price), and if for whatever reason I didnt like them, I would get something else! Well, I plan on keeping these. I have had them in for about 27 hours, and I have put about 150 miles on my car, just so I can hear them!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarhurricane View Post
I also had a hell of a time getting the driver's side in the mounts. From what I've heard, it's much easier if you loosen the midpipe clamps.

I just wrestled with it until I got it to go in.
Yeah, I did do that! I had the driver's midpipe laying on the ground, and still could not get it to go in!! My panhard bar was in the way....

I THINK it would have been easier if I had jackstands that were on the body, which would have let the axle hang down, thus moving the panhard bar giving more clearance, BUT, of course, I didnt think about that until after I trimmed the hangar and had everything put back together!!!

Matt
2011 Mustang GT
Race Red
Mods:GT500 Axlebacks, Side Window Louvres, and Tinted Windows, Ford Racing M-FR3-MGTAA Adjustable Suspension, BMR Adj. Panhard Bar, BMR Control Arm Relocation, CDC Chin Spoiler
post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011
Rookie

i'm quite pleased with mine. driver's side was a bit touchy to get on until i dropped the panhard bar(?) down. great sound. like the OP said, on deccel they sound like a race car. and they are NOT obnoxiously loud like some others i've heard. really happy with them.:smilie
post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragline View Post
i'm quite pleased with mine. driver's side was a bit touchy to get on until i dropped the panhard bar(?) down. great sound. like the OP said, on deccel they sound like a race car. and they are NOT obnoxiously loud like some others i've heard. really happy with them.:smilie
Yeah, one of the best parts is that its not obnoxiously loud. It turns heads still though

It doesnt have any raspiness that can be heard from some of the more hollow, or 'straight through' type mufflers that I have heard before....

Matt
2011 Mustang GT
Race Red
post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

You refering to the Ford Racing GT500 Style Axle-Back Exhaust (11 GT) ?

2011 Ford Mustang V8 5.0 Race Red - MT - Premium - GT/CS Package - Security Package, Comfort Package, 3.31 Gears, GT500 Axle-backs.
PONY Member

These are the best street mufflers out there for the 5.0. Cheap, high quality, great fit, great looks, and great sound. I don't think they can be beat. Had Borla Tourings and they are also great quality and looks but little drone and just too loud during cruising for me. With the GT 500s you can stay quiet at part throttle but make some noise when you want too!
Steve

6 Piston GT500 Brembos, 3.55, 6 speed manual, Sparco Ergo seat, Ford Racing Sparco race steering wheel, Koni Yellows, Boss 302S WC splitter, GT500 rear axle cover, Differential cooler, Cobra Jet Intake, Boss Graphics, Setrab 934 Air to Oil Setrab cooler, M-2004-MB brake cooling kit, Ford rotors, Carbotech XP24/XP20 pads, M-5300-P springs, FRRP Laguna Seca 19x9, 19x10 wheels, GT500 axlebacks, ARH 1 7/8" Headers/3" X-Pipe, Ford Racing SCJ throttle body, Ford Racing CJ CAI, AED tune.
post #11 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couger View Post
Yep, those are it. I actually found them cheaper here..... 2011 Mustang Gt 5.0L Ford Racing Gt500 Style Axle-Back Exhaust Kit M-5230-Mgtca1 at LRS - Same Day Shipping!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveespo View Post
These are the best street mufflers out there for the 5.0. Cheap, high quality, great fit, great looks, and great sound. I don't think they can be beat. Had Borla Tourings and they are also great quality and looks but little drone and just too loud during cruising for me. With the GT 500s you can stay quiet at part throttle but make some noise when you want too!
Steve
I agree - for the price, and the fact that you are getting OEM, its hard to pass up!!

Matt
2011 Mustang GT
Race Red
post #12 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member
5.0L Member

I did just hear from a fellow member via PM that Latemodel Restoration is on temporary back-order with these mufflers......

Matt
2011 Mustang GT
Race Red
BOSS Member

Garage
Try this place.Tousley Ford Parts Depot

Shadow Black 2018 GT 10R80-355
post #14 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thereaper View Post
Thats a good price too! But I saw the note with it showing a $30 shipping charge. Thats about $10 less than I paid including shipping......

Thats a good option though!!!

Matt
2011 Mustang GT
Race Red
PONY Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Skype™ to MustangStNick
Following the advice from the above posts, I have been trying to order these axel backs from LateModelResteration, but I am continually told they are out of stock and on back order.

OK, I went to AmericanMuscle and ask for a price match,
$264.99 w/shipping inc. and they are being shipped out today{Tuesday} and will be here{Central Fla.} on Friday.:laughlitt, and I hope to have them installed by late Friday afternoon.{Good Lord Willing And The Creek Don't Rise}

Thanks to everyone for their part in getting this info out!

Magna 2300 TVS Supercharger,500+RWH,355 Gears, 3" Pypes OffRoad X Pipe,3" GT500 Exhaust w/High Flo Cats, w/GT500 Axel Backs,18"X10" NZO Halo II's w/ Michlin Pilots.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page