2011-2013 Mustang, creaking suspension normal? - Page 4 - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
smz
Apprentice

So I took another trip to the dealer today. Apparently my first trip the guy didn't actually check for what I was talking about.

Took it on a road test with a tech and heard it loud and clear. I was told by the service manager they've already repaired 6(!!) 2012s with super low milage that have this problem. Has to do with the control arms and the bushings. They also said they've been given indication that this may end up being a TSB for early model 2012s since it's such a widespread problem.

Parts are back ordered for a month, but he placed an order for mine. Reassured by my visit today, for sure.

Anyone who is having this problem, get your car into your dealer and have them order you the parts. It's a relatively minor issue but very annoying - get it taken care of!

Deysha, I'll let you know how things go after my parts come in. If there's not resolution after that I'll definitely be contacting customer service and possibly escalating the issue. I love my mustang to death but won't hold onto it if this issue is not easily fixable.

2012 Mustang GT Premium
Kona Blue 401A AT w/Security Package, Comfort Package [Born 3/22/11]
Llumar F1 Ceramic 40% front/15% back.

Planned Mods
Saleen Grille
GT/CS Front Fascia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member

Backorder for a month is it still safe to drive the car with this problem. What kind of long term wear or any kind damage can it cause?

2012 GT Black Premium 6MT, 20" Black Foose Nitrous Staggered.

MODS: Airaid CAI, 93 BAMA Performance Tune, Roush Axle-Backs, GT500 Splash Guards, Shorty Antenna, Steeda Black Shift Knob, Extra Chrome Trim, 3rd Brake Light Decal, Aeroforce Interceptor Gauge w/ Roush Vent Pod, Valetine 1.
Apprentice

I also got the same problem with my 2011 GT. My service manager said it was a problem with the tie rods and so they replaced them. Guess what? It still creaks like it did before they "fixed" it. I love the car but it frustrating. Now, I just crank the volume of the stereo before going over the speed bumps and problem solved.

2011 Mustang 5.0, 6spd manual, Sterling Gray Metallic, 401A spec,
Charcoal Black leather seats with cashmere stripe, Shaker 1000, Rear view camera, HID, Security package, Reflective Tints , Borla S-Type AB, GT500 Rear Diffuser. California Special Lower Valance with Boss 302 front splitter, Black GT500 replica wheels staggered set-up

smz
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMoneY View Post
Backorder for a month is it still safe to drive the car with this problem. What kind of long term wear or any kind damage can it cause?
Suspension failures at 80mph is something I don't want to think about - serious injury can be caused.

I'm not risking it - dropped it off at the dealer until they fix it. Contacting a lawyer in the mean time.

2012 Mustang GT Premium

Planned Mods
Saleen Grille
GT/CS Front Fascia
smz
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRIS50 View Post
I also got the same problem with my 2011 GT. My service manager said it was a problem with the tie rods and so they replaced them. Guess what? It still creaks like it did before they "fixed" it. I love the car but it frustrating. Now, I just crank the volume of the stereo before going over the speed bumps and problem solved.
Or just lemon law it if you live in a state with those laws.

2012 Mustang GT Premium

Planned Mods
Saleen Grille
GT/CS Front Fascia
FordService

Quote:
Originally Posted by smz View Post
So I took another trip to the dealer today. Apparently my first trip the guy didn't actually check for what I was talking about.

Took it on a road test with a tech and heard it loud and clear. I was told by the service manager they've already repaired 6(!!) 2012s with super low milage that have this problem. Has to do with the control arms and the bushings. They also said they've been given indication that this may end up being a TSB for early model 2012s since it's such a widespread problem.

Parts are back ordered for a month, but he placed an order for mine. Reassured by my visit today, for sure.

Anyone who is having this problem, get your car into your dealer and have them order you the parts. It's a relatively minor issue but very annoying - get it taken care of!

Deysha, I'll let you know how things go after my parts come in. If there's not resolution after that I'll definitely be contacting customer service and possibly escalating the issue. I love my mustang to death but won't hold onto it if this issue is not easily fixable.
I understand smz. I'll do what I can to help you with this issue.

Deysha
FordService

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRIS50 View Post
Hi iRIS50,

Iíd like to see how I can help you as well. Please message me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, and contact info.

Deysha
smz
Apprentice

Just to update everyone on this issue.

I've been in contact with a few lawyers on this issue. One of them has already settled with Ford on this exact suspension issue on late model 2011s/early 12's. So if this is the route you want to go, firms have experience with our problem already.

I'm not advocating people shouldn't try to work this out with Ford first. By all means, give the manufacturer a chance to do what they can for you, outside of the local repairs.

In my case I think 3 trips in for the same issue warrants an action on Ford's part to make it right. If not, they don't give me much of an option. I'd suggest everyone else approach this issue in a similar way.

2012 Mustang GT Premium

Planned Mods
Saleen Grille
GT/CS Front Fascia
Rookie

I just want to see a TSB on this issue so I can fix the issue myself. Gave up on the dealers already Does anyone have the part numbers they used when replacing the lower control arm bushings? BTW, I can best describe the sound as creaking, and then the car feels like it has a solid bushing joint somewhere, it gets worse as the ambient temp goes up.
Apprentice

I have the part number and I'll get it in the morning, I have been laying in bed for almost two hours reading mustang goodies. I'm an addict. It's a cheap fix, one that had me dropping the car off at the dealer 3 days after I bought it. In the 900 miles I have put on the car since I had this fixed, no other issues in this regards

HIS: "Night-Mare": 2012 Mustang GT/CS, Black on Black, MT, 3.73 Gears, HID's, Security/Comfort/Electronics Packages. #2 of ????

HERS: "Blue Steel": 2012 Mustang V6, Kona Blue, AT.
PONY Member

Is there any aftermarket bushings or is it just LCAs. If I can just jack my car up and fix the bushings myself that would be ideal.

2012 GT Black Premium 6MT, 20" Black Foose Nitrous Staggered.

MODS: Airaid CAI, 93 BAMA Performance Tune, Roush Axle-Backs, GT500 Splash Guards, Shorty Antenna, Steeda Black Shift Knob, Extra Chrome Trim, 3rd Brake Light Decal, Aeroforce Interceptor Gauge w/ Roush Vent Pod, Valetine 1.
smz
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMoneY View Post
Is there any aftermarket bushings or is it just LCAs. If I can just jack my car up and fix the bushings myself that would be ideal.
I have a feeling it's more than just the bushings.

I got my car back after repair attempt #3, both control arms replaced. The noise is very muted but still there on both sides. I'm thinking they ****** something major on the suspension in a VIN lot of the GTs.

I spoke with the mechanic that's been doing the work on my car and he confirmed my suspicion. He said that they've done about 40(!!) late model 2011s and early model 2012s for this problem, most of which come back again even after having the control arms replaced.

In either case - I have my vehicle back. But now I'm noticing a very awesome engine tick when idling in addition to the suspension problems. Sodding awesome.

I've been in touch with a customer service manager for my area and they're starting the paperwork on a vehicle buyback. They've been very nice about it so far as I've made it very clear that I do *not* want to involve a lawyer if they'll do the right thing under the law. I've given him a week to get it settled and he agreed.

Anyhow, good luck to everyone with this issue.

2012 Mustang GT Premium

Planned Mods
Saleen Grille
GT/CS Front Fascia
Rookie
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I dropped mine back off with the dealer yesterday as well. I got a phone call this morning letting me know they have another Mustang with the same problem and they are going to replace the control arms on both of our Mustangs.

The service manager claimed there is some kind of an issue with rusting which is causing the problem. I asked him whether or not there was a difference between the control arms in my car already and the new ones they are going to install. If there is a problem with this part I do not see a point in installing the same thing just to have it fail again. Of course he did not know if they have updated the control arms.

Reading about this engine tick gets me all paranoid. I have never owned a V8 before so I am not sure if the engine sounds right or not.

2012 Mustang GT Premium
Rookie
5.0L Member
S197 Member

@smz

I have an AT as well, do you have any problems with your very first shift from 1st to 2nd?

Every morning when I get in the car and drive off, there is literally a thud that happens in the driver's side foot well after my car changes gear for the first time.

2012 Mustang GT Premium
smz
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by adebo View Post
@smz

I have an AT as well, do you have any problems with your very first shift from 1st to 2nd?

Every morning when I get in the car and drive off, there is literally a thud that happens in the driver's side foot well after my car changes gear for the first time.
Yup, I noticed that on my third service attempt. Tech couldn't reproduce it, I'm still having the problem though.

2012 Mustang GT Premium

Planned Mods
Saleen Grille
GT/CS Front Fascia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page