2011-2013 Mustang, creaking suspension normal? - Page 5 - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
smz
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by adebo View Post
I dropped mine back off with the dealer yesterday as well. I got a phone call this morning letting me know they have another Mustang with the same problem and they are going to replace the control arms on both of our Mustangs.

The service manager claimed there is some kind of an issue with rusting which is causing the problem. I asked him whether or not there was a difference between the control arms in my car already and the new ones they are going to install. If there is a problem with this part I do not see a point in installing the same thing just to have it fail again. Of course he did not know if they have updated the control arms.

Reading about this engine tick gets me all paranoid. I have never owned a V8 before so I am not sure if the engine sounds right or not.
I've had both of my control arms replaced and it definitely hasn't made the issue go away. It's considerably muted, but it's still there. Plus I notice a very muted groaning from both sides when driving over any types of bumps at any speed.

The tick bothers me as well. With this problem I am on 6 separate issues with my Mustang in the first two months of owning it. Yeah, I'm thrilled.

Speaking with lawyers today, more than likely just going to file a lemon law and be done with it. So absolutely disappointed and frustrated right now. This is a new sodding car, I shouldn't have to worry about things going wrong with it for YEARS!

2012 Mustang GT Premium
Kona Blue 401A AT w/Security Package, Comfort Package [Born 3/22/11]
Llumar F1 Ceramic 40% front/15% back.

Planned Mods
Saleen Grille
GT/CS Front Fascia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rookie
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smz View Post
Yup, I noticed that on my third service attempt. Tech couldn't reproduce it, I'm still having the problem though.
Thanks for the reply. I am having them look at that as well and I will let you know if I find anything out.

They are replacing both control arms tomorrow as they only have one in hand. They are getting the other one overnighted to them. I saw that someone said they were backordered I will call your dealership again, as they are clearly not.

2012 Mustang GT Premium
smz
Apprentice

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I am having them look at that as well and I will let you know if I find anything out.

They are replacing both control arms tomorrow as they only have one in hand. They are getting the other one overnighted to them. I saw that someone said they were backordered I will call your dealership again, as they are clearly not.
So this was really funny - they claimed the control arms were back ordered for 30 days but as soon as I brought it back again they magically appeared over night.

Bringing my car back in again on Monday. 4th trip for this issue and I've lost countless hours of work because of this. Seems every time they do something we go half a step forward and one step back.

2012 Mustang GT Premium

Planned Mods
Saleen Grille
GT/CS Front Fascia

Rookie

You know SMZ, I'm glad someone's as pissed about this as I am. We pay premium price, we deserve a premium product.

The first dealership I took mine to said, "oh yeah...that's normal, working as intended...it'll loosen up"....after keeping me there for over 6 hour with no shuttle/ride home.

Second dealership replaced both control arms, noise is back but considerably muted as you stated.

Haven't had the engine tick but my oil is extremely low, will probably need to add a quart or so before the engine starts grinding.

People say we're babies and whining about a little noise, but quite frankly it's not just the suspension issue...but also Ford's action (or lack of) about the problem. It's simply frustrating to drop upwards towards 40 grand and have the car sit at the dealership more than in your garage.

Seriously thinking about just ditching it for a 370z or GTI before anymore BS arises...I've always had excellent luck with their dealerships/products here.
smz
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleConvert View Post
You know SMZ, I'm glad someone's as pissed about this as I am. We pay premium price, we deserve a premium product.

The first dealership I took mine to said, "oh yeah...that's normal, working as intended...it'll loosen up"....after keeping me there for over 6 hour with no shuttle/ride home.

Second dealership replaced both control arms, noise is back but considerably muted as you stated.

Haven't had the engine tick but my oil is extremely low, will probably need to add a quart or so before the engine starts grinding.

People say we're babies and whining about a little noise, but quite frankly it's not just the suspension issue...but also Ford's action (or lack of) about the problem. It's simply frustrating to drop upwards towards 40 grand and have the car sit at the dealership more than in your garage.

Seriously thinking about just ditching it for a 370z or GTI before anymore BS arises...I've always had excellent luck with their dealerships/products here.
Here's the thing about this boss - we do not pay upwards of 40k for a vehicle that has to go in for repair multiple times *brand spanking new*. As you said, we're paying premium price, we should be getting a premium product. Expecting that said premium product is problem free for a good long while is *not unreasonable*.

Who's saying that we're whining about the issue? Whomever they are I'd implore them to throw 40k at a vehicle and have it make noise like a 30 year old truck and ask them how they feel about it. The product is not performing like a new car and Ford needs to do something about it. In the case that it cannot be repaired sufficiently, Ford is obligated to go above and beyond to make the consumer happy. I do not think this is too much to ask given we've invested almost 40k in one of their products.

I'm dropping my Mustang off on Monday for the 4th time for this issue. I've had a total of *6* issues with the vehicle since I've taken delivery. This is not acceptable by any measure. It seems like people who have this suspension issue are also having other issues as well.

If you think a different vehicle would work better for you given your problems, I'd implore you to pursue those avenues. Be vocal about your problem and hope that you get proper resolution from Ford. If not, I'd suggest exploring other avenues.

2012 Mustang GT Premium

Planned Mods
Saleen Grille
GT/CS Front Fascia
Rookie

Dose anybody have the number of the tsb on this issue? I will be taking my 2011 with 1200 miles which was also built 2/11 next week for the second attempt to fix this. They already replaced both lower control arms on the first visit but the creaking came right back about 2 days later. We also have the lemon law here in Florida but I love this car outside of this creaking noise. Also It getz kinda embarrassing when I drive up and people hear the creaking and say "whatz wrong with your car". Sounds like my dads old 72 couger!
PONY Member

Hello Everyone,

I'm guessing at this point that its creaking upper strut mounts.

So who whats to suggest this to the dealer first?

-Dana

2012 V6 Base. 6-speed. 3.31. Roush Wheel Hop Kit. BMR 38mm Front Swaybar. Camber Modded Koni Yellow Struts. Linear Steeda Sport Springs. J&M Camber Plates. J&M Panhard Bar. Airaid Intake. 93R Bama Tune. BBK Ceramic Shorties. Carbon Fiber Trac-Lok w/ Finned Cover. Hawk SR pads. GT Rotors. Spec Al Flywheel & Stage I Clutch, 18x10.5 ET38 Enkei PF01 Wheels. 285 30 R18 RE-71r tires. Boss 302 Radiator.
smz
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 740weapon View Post
Hello Everyone,

I'm guessing at this point that its creaking upper strut mounts.

So who whats to suggest this to the dealer first?

-Dana
Not me. This is the last time I'll be taking it into the dealer. I've now wasted a week of pay on this nonsense, time to explore other routes to get it resolved.

I so wanted to love my Mustang. I cannot express in words how much this pisses me off.

2012 Mustang GT Premium

Planned Mods
Saleen Grille
GT/CS Front Fascia
GT Member

i unfortunately didnt have time to read the entire thread. was anybody able to get a proper fix, or have the problem identified correctly? mine makes the noise too. from what i hear, it feel like it might be a lack of lubrication on certain moving parts in the front suspension. i could be wrong though.

2014 GT 5.0 | Premium | 401A | Roush A/B
smz
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by pony_boy View Post
i unfortunately didnt have time to read the entire thread. was anybody able to get a proper fix, or have the problem identified correctly? mine makes the noise too. from what i hear, it feel like it might be a lack of lubrication on certain moving parts in the front suspension. i could be wrong though.
Nope, no "full fixes" in this thread yet. Seems like they don't really know what the problem is on a certain VIN lot of Mustangs.

2012 Mustang GT Premium

Planned Mods
Saleen Grille
GT/CS Front Fascia
PONY Member

I found what I think is the creak/squeal in my Mustang and y’all might not even believe it.

I had a rear seat passenger and there was this god damned squeal like you would not believe. So I sat in the rear seats and bounced around and sure enough could make a good sized squeak.

After a bit of investigation, I figured out that the rear deck lid is rubbing against the underlying metal and squeaking as the seat flexes.

I rubbed a bar of soap liberally between the metal and the deck lid and now I cannot make the rear seat squeak no matter how hard I try.

My first thought was to use some ordinary car wax, but my father insisted that soap was somehow better because it can't possibly hurt anything in the interior.

Anyway, everyone should investigate if they can make the rear seat squeak and fix appropriately.

If this helps others I will send Ford the bill.

-Dana

2012 V6 Base. 6-speed. 3.31. Roush Wheel Hop Kit. BMR 38mm Front Swaybar. Camber Modded Koni Yellow Struts. Linear Steeda Sport Springs. J&M Camber Plates. J&M Panhard Bar. Airaid Intake. 93R Bama Tune. BBK Ceramic Shorties. Carbon Fiber Trac-Lok w/ Finned Cover. Hawk SR pads. GT Rotors. Spec Al Flywheel & Stage I Clutch, 18x10.5 ET38 Enkei PF01 Wheels. 285 30 R18 RE-71r tires. Boss 302 Radiator.
FordService

Quote:
@smz

I have an AT as well, do you have any problems with your very first shift from 1st to 2nd?

Every morning when I get in the car and drive off, there is literally a thud that happens in the driver's side foot well after my car changes gear for the first time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pony_boy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 740weapon View Post
I found what I think is the creak/squeal in my Mustang and y’all might not even believe it.

I had a rear seat passenger and there was this god damned squeal like you would not believe. So I sat in the rear seats and bounced around and sure enough could make a good sized squeak.

After a bit of investigation, I figured out that the rear deck lid is rubbing against the underlying metal and squeaking as the seat flexes.

I rubbed a bar of soap liberally between the metal and the deck lid and now I cannot make the rear seat squeak no matter how hard I try.

My first thought was to use some ordinary car wax, but my father insisted that soap was somehow better because it can't possibly hurt anything in the interior.

Anyway, everyone should investigate if they can make the rear seat squeak and fix appropriately.

If this helps others I will send Ford the bill.

-Dana
Hello Members,

Hello Members,

I would like to help you get these issues resolved. Could you please message me with your mileage, dealer, VIN, and your contact info?

Deysha
FordService

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10random View Post
I just want to see a TSB on this issue so I can fix the issue myself. Gave up on the dealers already Does anyone have the part numbers they used when replacing the lower control arm bushings? BTW, I can best describe the sound as creaking, and then the car feels like it has a solid bushing joint somewhere, it gets worse as the ambient temp goes up.
Hi 10random,

I understand where you are coming from. Please message me with your dealer, Mileage, contact info, and VIN so I can escalate this for you. This way I know it was taken care of.

Deysha
Rookie
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I just picked mine up last night from the dealer. They replaced both lower control arms and so far so good. I have only driven about 10 miles since last night and the noise is gone in my car. I rolled over about 5 speed bumps so far and I have been unable to reproduce the noise. I really hope that the noise does not come back.

I have owned the car for three weeks and it has spent an entire week at the service department. It has been wonderful driving around in their Nissan Versa loaner car....

2012 Mustang GT Premium
smz
Apprentice

Quote:
I just picked mine up last night from the dealer. They replaced both lower control arms and so far so good. I have only driven about 10 miles since last night and the noise is gone in my car. I rolled over about 5 speed bumps so far and I have been unable to reproduce the noise. I really hope that the noise does not come back.

I have owned the car for three weeks and it has spent an entire week at the service department. It has been wonderful driving around in their Nissan Versa loaner car....
I'd suggest listening very closely to your suspension in all situations. My experience with both control arms being replaced is that the major creaks are muted but the suspension sounds bad in other areas still. This seems to be the experience everyone is having in this thread when getting the control arms replaced, so it seems.

2012 Mustang GT Premium

Planned Mods
Saleen Grille
GT/CS Front Fascia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page