2011-2013 Mustang, creaking suspension normal? - Page 6 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Rookie

Exact same issues

I've been lurking for a few days since I picked up my Kona Blue GT manual last Saturday. I was planning on registering soon anyway but this "creaking" issue has started on mine as well so I went ahead and registered so hey everyone .

Just a little about me. I am a ASE certified tech and service manager over a repair shop for one of the quick lube chains here in the south. Been a tech for 20 years.

Let me start by saying I love this car and feel fortunate to own it. It was fine the first 200 miles. After that I started noticing a popping noise in left front suspension. Thought I may have heard a little in the right front to but not sure.

As some have stated it's like you can feel it in the floorboard. Not only that but I was at a local shopping center not long after it started the "popping" noise and hit a few speed breakers and it made the loudest "squawking" sound in the front suspension every time I hit one. I instantly think "great the struts are noisy on my brand new car"

That was Monday when I was out running errands.
Ok now It's Tuesday and I had every intention of putting it on the lift at work and just giving it a good ol checkout to see if I could find any problems but alas I had not the time Tuesday and 12 hours work in 1 day is enough for anybody in my book. It had not changed any Tuesday, Very consistent.

Now It's Wednesday and we slowed up a little in the evening so I pulled her in and lifted her up. Looked at all the usual suspects I would normally look at on an "older" car with these symptoms. Struts, Strut mounts, Lower control arms and bushings, Sway bar and bushings, Tie rod ends etc.

Physically looking and pulling, tugging on everything. No play was found in any of it. My experience tells me It's a strut or strut plate issue just from the sound I'm hearing but I could not find a problem. Granted I was tired as hell by then and surely could have missed something but I don't think I did.

Ok so no discoveries at that time and I know I'll be taking it into Ford soon for this so no biggie. At least I know It's safe. Or is it? Guess there's no sure fire way to know but anyway no play was found in any front end component.

Also It does it on take off very very consistently. Like clockwork. Engine mounts as some have suggested? I don't think so, I still think It's strut related.

All this being said I'm watching this thread closely to see if a confirmed fix is found before I head to Ford. No sense making repeated trips and going through that hell if I think they can't get it right the first time. I will continue to look at it myself when time permits and maybe I'll come up with something.

Another thing that's strange, After about the first 20 miles driving after taking it off the lift it did not do it anymore. It did come back though and was no different than before.

On another note mine has the 3.73 option. Is everybody's rear diff unpainted? Mines not and It's covered in rust... I'm not at all happy about that.

Anyway glad to have the car and glad to be here. Maybe I can contribute something .

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rookie

Having this issue as well. It was not there when I first got the car but now at 500 miles on the odometer, it is clunking and groaning. Hoping for a fix soon. In the meantime trying to decide whether it is worth bringing in to the dealer to get the arms or bushings replaced when that seems to only buy time until the problem returns.

PONY Member

I'm still waiting for better reports. How many claims does it take til they issue a TSB? This seems pretty common on all new 2012's and the last batch of 11s. I'll just wait to get on a wreck when my control arm breaks so I can sue Ford and live the sweet life if I survive the wreck. J/K but has anyone had this problem solved yet?

2012 GT Black Premium 6MT, 20" Black Foose Nitrous Staggered.

MODS: Airaid CAI, 93 BAMA Performance Tune, Roush Axle-Backs, GT500 Splash Guards, Shorty Antenna, Steeda Black Shift Knob, Extra Chrome Trim, 3rd Brake Light Decal, Aeroforce Interceptor Gauge w/ Roush Vent Pod, Valetine 1.

Rookie
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I received my car back on Monday after the dealer replaced both of the lower control arms. Now it has only been three days, but I am unable to reproduce any of the groaning, creaking, etc. So far I am happy with the repair, obviously. I know some people stated that it just muffled the sound, but mine is truly gone as of this point. Hopefully it stays this way and then I can finally starting adding some pieces to the car. I will give another update next week or sooner if the noise comes back.

2012 Mustang GT Premium
J Orbit

WOW, you mean there's a common problem that I don't have?!?! Sweet!
Rookie

For those that had their control arms replaced and the sound went away. Could you please post the part numbers and quantity listed on the work order?

Thanks!!
Rookie

Right side started doing it today

It's confirmed. Mine is doing it on the right front as well. Very noticeable on the way home from work just now. Equally noisy on both sides. Forgot to mention previously mine is a 2012. 200 miles on it when this started.
Rookie

Anomalous- let us know what you discover in your poking around. This seems like a fairly fixable problem. The suspension on these cars is not terribly complicated. The solution should be much easier than tranny or engine issues.
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anomalous View Post
On another note mine has the 3.73 option. Is everybody's rear diff unpainted? Mines not and It's covered in rust... I'm not at all happy about that.
=( Yeah, they dont come painted and that is very frustrating. I saw the underneath of mine yesterday (brand new 2012) and it is 100% rust. Looks like a big ugly turd underneath with all the rest of that beauty.

Update on my car after they replaced the bushing at 300 miles: At 1300 miles now and no new bushing problems.

HIS: "Night-Mare": 2012 Mustang GT/CS, Black on Black, MT, 3.73 Gears, HID's, Security/Comfort/Electronics Packages. #2 of ????

HERS: "Blue Steel": 2012 Mustang V6, Kona Blue, AT.
Rookie

If I find anything I'll for sure post it. My biggest problem is finding time to look at it. We've been busier than a 1 legged man in an ass kicking contest lately. I may schedule dealer visit soon if I don't get time to look at it.

Well my rear diff isn't gonna stay that way. Laying plans now to clean all that rust off and paint it. Some times you got to wonder what they were thinking...
Rookie

Any updates from anyone on this?
Took my GT to the dealer today and got the old "it's normal, the mustang is such a stiff suspension, they just do that". I had to laugh since my mustang is by FAR the most softly sprung of all my cars (all OEM mind you). And no, it isn't normal, it didn't make such a racquet when I picked it up. Guess I will look for another dealer - and/or hopefully a real fix from ford or this forum.
Rookie

So far my sound has gone away or reduced to negligible levels. This all happened after an hour on the road coarse. I guess things finally "broke" in. I can't help but think being built int he cold of winter affecting things like this. Especially when they're transferred and sold in the lower states.

I will update if the sounds come back.
Rookie

Still clacking along... Probably call dealer Monday.
Rookie

First post...

I picked up a 2012 GT a couple of weeks ago and had the same issue that a lot of you are describing. When I took the car back to the dealership it took about 5 seconds of driving it for the tech to hear what I was talking about. Long story short, they replaced the lower control arms on the advice of Ford and the problem has disappeared altogether. I noticed some people asking for the part numbers from the replacements and thought I would offer up my workorder for anyone interested. Hope this helps!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	workorder.jpg
Views:	557
Size:	619.0 KB
ID:	130385  
Rookie

Thank you for that information. Should help a lot of us out to be armed with those numbers when we visit the dealer. Thanks again!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page