2011-2013 Mustang, creaking suspension normal? - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1031 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

2011-2013 Mustang, creaking suspension normal?

I have about 500 miles on my new '12 GT and the front suspension is "creaking" pretty loud. By sound alone it sounds like a shock that is dry, or a creaking springs (that's the extent of my professional diagnosis, lol). I hear it on bumps, speedbumps, and semi-hard acceleration when the front end lifts. It is pretty loud though. Is this normal to wear in the suspension or should I take it in to get checked out?

2012 Lava Red GT Premium | Roush Exhaust | CDC RTR Front Splitter

Last edited by 5POINTO; 07-03-2013 at 11:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Apprentice

I have a '12 GT/CS and I had to take it to the shop for a creak in the front-end just 3 days after I took delivery. Turns out it was a bad front lower control arm bushing. They replaced the bushing and it rides like a dream again with no creak. Must have had a bad bushing from the factory. It started the day after I bought the car, but by the time I got out of the dealer and home it was 11PM, so I had to wait to take it in. Plus I drove 3 hrs away to get it, so this time I just took it to the local ford dealer. I had them re-torque the strut mounts, strut tower brace, and sub-frame too because they moved on me. I have a fairly steep driveway and have to take it at an angle, guess it wasn't torqued right from the factory so they slid. Driveway isn't incredibly steep, its just the way the road dips down to my driveway before inclining that screws me. I built a ramp so all is good now, but figured I would share. My creak was from the front and mostly noticeable at slow speeds when I hit a bump, which would cause a creak/clunk that could be felt in the floorboards.

Good luck on the fix! Use that warranty while you have it, these cars drive amazing and it's easy to find yourself just wanting to go for a slow cruise ALL THE TIME and rack up those miles =)

HIS: "Night-Mare": 2012 Mustang GT/CS, Black on Black, MT, 3.73 Gears, HID's, Security/Comfort/Electronics Packages. #2 of ????

HERS: "Blue Steel": 2012 Mustang V6, Kona Blue, AT.
Rookie

Very interesting. I have a 2012 GT with 350 miles and have a similar issue on the driver's side. Feels like a bad strut or shock and is very noticeable when pulling out of the driveway at an angle, as well as when I'm letting the clutch out to accelerate into first from a dead stop. As soon as the clutch is let out all the way, I feel a popping/creaking in the floor. Very confident that it is not a transmission issue but rather suspension. Started yesterday and took it to the dealership today. Scheduled an appointment for Tuesday to have the technician look at it. Keep me posted if you hear anything and I'll let you know what I find out. Anyone else experiencing this? It definitely was not there when I purchased the car 3 weeks ago. Had the car on a lift the day before it started. Not sure if this has anything to do with it.

Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebyte93 View Post
Very interesting. I have a 2012 GT with 350 miles and have a similar issue on the driver's side. Feels like a bad strut or shock and is very noticeable when pulling out of the driveway at an angle, as well as when I'm letting the clutch out to accelerate into first from a dead stop. As soon as the clutch is let out all the way, I feel a popping/creaking in the floor. Very confident that it is not a transmission issue but rather suspension. Started yesterday and took it to the dealership today. Scheduled an appointment for Tuesday to have the technician look at it. Keep me posted if you hear anything and I'll let you know what I find out. Anyone else experiencing this? It definitely was not there when I purchased the car 3 weeks ago. Had the car on a lift the day before it started. Not sure if this has anything to do with it.
Sounds pretty similar to what mine was doing, may want to have them check out that bushing. Mine was drivers side too....but the creak/clunk could be felt in both floorboards. It was covered under warranty, and has fixed my issue completely. I hope y'all get taken care of and that it is something as simple as mine was. Perhaps they got a bad batch of bushings for the early '12 production runs. Good luck and let us know what the dealer comes back with

HIS: "Night-Mare": 2012 Mustang GT/CS, Black on Black, MT, 3.73 Gears, HID's, Security/Comfort/Electronics Packages. #2 of ????

post #5 of 1031 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Hey guys thanks for the quick responses... Mine is also the driver-side. now that you mention a bushing it makes perfect sense - I am sure that must be the problem. I will call the dealer on Monday!

PONY Member

My 2011 makes no such noise and I have not heard of this issue yet. Definitely sounds like a bad batch of bushings. At least it should be an easy fix for the dealer.

Slightly off topic, but I noticed some of my rear bushings are blue colored which I thought was kind of neat. Don't know if the color choice was intentional or not.

2011 Premium GT/Sterling Gray/M6/Brembos/Tech/ HIDs/Comfort/Security/Back up camera
daddydGT

Uh oh 2012s with problems....better get an official 2012 rough riding thread going hahahahahahaha. But on a serious note I would say it was a bushing and should be a easy fix at a local dealer! :-)
Rookie

I have the same issue with my 2011 GT built in Feb. Their is wavy stretch of road were I really hear it.
Rookie

I notice the same thing, but usually only when going over speedbumps. Is this normal or should I take it in ?

2012 disgustang GT premium 5.0 black on black leather (base premium) <3 it, daily driver.
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

The next Jalopnik Ford-bashing article in the making. :kooky:

Scott | 2012 GT Premium Coupe • Performance White • 6R80 • HID • 64M Wheels • Ford All-Weather Pony Mats & Trunk Liner • GT500/GT Rear Mud Flap Set • Ohio's Horses License Plate • Raxiom Aero Tails

If you love your dog, get a microchip, they really work! My lost dog was back home in just under 24 hours thanks to the good citizens who called the county and the microchip that told animal control exactly where he lived.
Rookie

I had the same problem and initially I sprayed liquid silicone on the control arm bushing and tie rod ends and the creaking went away but eventually came back.

I took it in, they replaced the left control arm bushing. 48 hours later the right started doing it, took it in and they replaced it. Car was fine for a few days then started to creak and groan again. It sounds like complete sh*t now and I'm sorta embarrassed by it. Not sure whether to take it in or not but it seems like a common problem on the 2012s. Pretty mad about having a brand new car which has spent more days at the dealership than in my garage.
post #12 of 1031 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleConvert View Post
I had the same problem and initially I sprayed liquid silicone on the control arm bushing and tie rod ends and the creaking went away but eventually came back.

I took it in, they replaced the left control arm bushing. 48 hours later the right started doing it, took it in and they replaced it. Car was fine for a few days then started to creak and groan again. It sounds like complete sh*t now and I'm sorta embarrassed by it. Not sure whether to take it in or not but it seems like a common problem on the 2012s. Pretty mad about having a brand new car which has spent more days at the dealership than in my garage.
Weird - seems like the bushing replacement worked for everybody else. Maybe you can ask them to re-torque everything? That seemed to help for an earlier poster...

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleConvert View Post

Yeah, take it back in. This should be 100% fixable. Maybe try another dealer??? PM Deysha, the Ford Rep on this board, to get some extra help if you still do not get this resolved.

2011 Premium GT/Sterling Gray/M6/Brembos/Tech/ HIDs/Comfort/Security/Back up camera
Apprentice

It would make one wonder if they ever replaced your bushing to begin with and perhaps just lubed it up to get rid of it for a while?

When they replaced mine it went away forever so far. I got mine replaced immediately after purchase (pretty much) and I just crossed over 1000 miles today with no reoccurance

Rookie

Mine were creaking and replaced about a month ago on my new 2011 with only 500 miles on her, (lower control arms) but now the creaking is back louder than ever. I guess I'll have to take it in again, what a pita!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page