Are aftermarket tunes causing the #8 cylinder to take a dump? - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member
 
PGT96drvr's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Newark
Posts: 348
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allentown View Post
Does that include everything? Not trying to be smart here, just trying to get a good summation of all the things to be on the look out for.
According to another thread, the seats ripping are apparently becoming an issue. Just sayin'

Oh, and I don't know if it was a bending fork, or if it was due to the actual pad that slides... you know what... there are so many things right now that I am jsut too confused to pick out any one thing right now.


2011 Ingot Silver GT Premium - 6MT - California Special - HID - 3.73 - Glass Roof - Roush Axle Backs
BBR Shortie Antenna - Viper SmartStart - Barton Shifter & Bracket - JLT Oil Separator - Amsoil Synchromesh

Ordered: 11/6/10 | Obtained VIN: 11/19/2010 | Delivery Date: 12/23/2010 | Window Sticker: 12/10/2010 | Build Date: 12/16/2010 | Body Shop: 12/14/2010 | Trim Line: 12/15/2010 | Ready to Ship: 12/16/2010 | New Delivery Date: 12/29/2010 | Delivered: 1/5/2011
PGT96drvr is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
GT Member
 
cababah's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 1,305
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allentown View Post
First good reason i have seen to justify running 93 octane all year long, even when its raining or slick.

I would think if you are A) running 93 octane gas and B)Not running a tune...this would never happen as knocking should never occur.

Ok so in summary we have A) A renegade knock sensor in #8 that is making tunes dangerous B) some slightly out of speck internal causing a ticking sound which is fixed by a mystery additive, may or may not be dangerous and may or may not go away and C)Some combination of clutch/flywheel assembly, bendy gear fork, synchro or inertial forces on the remote style Mt82 thats causing temperature aggrivated rough shifting and in some cases transmission failures and D) a few rare 5.0s which unexplainably seem to have no oil in them within the first 5,000 miles.

Does that include everything? Not trying to be smart here, just trying to get a good summation of all the things to be on the look out for.
Even with 93 octane, if you are pushing the car hard on a hot summer day, it will still rely on the knock sensors to pull timing, would it not?


2011 Mustang GT 5.0 Coupe/Brembos/3.73

"I'm also 6'5" and 270 lbs. and could crush a person's bones with my bare hands"
-Jozsefsz


cababah is offline  
MACH I Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member
 
Allentown's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Augusta
Posts: 2,854
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGT96drvr View Post
According to another thread, the seats ripping are apparently becoming an issue. Just sayin'

Oh, and I don't know if it was a bending fork, or if it was due to the actual pad that slides... you know what... there are so many things right now that I am jsut too confused to pick out any one thing right now.

I think one of us who has been here a long time (and is a better writer than I), should write up a FAQ for the new people with a quick summation these particluar hot topics which includes just the facts, what we know/what we dont know and what to watch out for and then post it as a sticky on the front page.

Any takers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cababah View Post
Even with 93 octane, if you are pushing the car hard on a hot summer day, it will still rely on the knock sensors to pull timing, would it not?
You are correct. Most definately.

2011 Shelby GT 500: C&L CAI, Roush GT 500 Performance axlebacks, Steeda 2.65 Supercharger pulley with idler/belt tensioner, Ford SVT Custom Racing Tune, SVT package, Glass roof, Tech package
Gone: 2011 GT/CS Black
Gone: 2010 Sterling Gray GT, Track Pack
Allentown is offline  
 
Apprentice
 
dewyrussler's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 146
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allentown View Post
First good reason i have seen to justify running 93 octane all year long, even when its raining or slick.

I would think if you are A) running 93 octane gas and B)Not running a tune...this would never happen as knocking should never occur.

Ok so in summary we have A) A renegade knock sensor in #8 that is making tunes dangerous B) some slightly out of speck internal causing a ticking sound which is fixed by a mystery additive, may or may not be dangerous and may or may not go away and C)Some combination of clutch/flywheel assembly, bendy gear fork, synchro or inertial forces on the remote style Mt82 thats causing temperature aggrivated rough shifting and in some cases transmission failures and D) a few rare 5.0s which unexplainably seem to have no oil in them within the first 5,000 miles.

Does that include everything? Not trying to be smart here, just trying to get a good summation of all the things to be on the look out for.
According to the poll, it seems 12% are experience the cold knock (unfortunately, I'm included in that percentage)...so that is probably prevalent enough to include in your summary.

-1983 5.0 GT Red/Black.5MT.3:73.FMS Lowering Springs
-2011 5.0 GT Prem.Kona Blue.6MT.19" Nickel Wheels.3:73.Comf Pack. Blk/Cshmr Int
dewyrussler is offline  
Grimace427
Guest
 
Grimace427's Avatar
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allentown View Post
I think one of us who has been here a long time (and is a better writer than I), should write up a FAQ for the new people with a quick summation these particluar hot topics which includes just the facts, what we know/what we dont know and what to watch out for and then post it as a sticky on the front page.
While that is a great idea it would only last a few days before people start posting their opinions and we are left with just another thread.

I can't begin to tell you how many times I've beat my head against the wall because people start posting things they "heard from a buddy on another forum" and it all of a sudden becomes known information.

Not to mention putting talk in the tech section, and multiple multiple multiple threads.
MACH I Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member
 
Allentown's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Augusta
Posts: 2,854
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimace427 View Post
While that is a great idea it would only last a few days before people start posting their opinions and we are left with just another thread.

I can't begin to tell you how many times I've beat my head against the wall because people start posting things they "heard from a buddy on another forum" and it all of a sudden becomes known information.

Not to mention putting talk in the tech section, and multiple multiple multiple threads.
I think what should happen is one of the Mods should do the write up, lock the thread and only go in and update as things develop over time and just keep it as a locked and on going FAQ without replies (or too many replies).

2011 Shelby GT 500: C&L CAI, Roush GT 500 Performance axlebacks, Steeda 2.65 Supercharger pulley with idler/belt tensioner, Ford SVT Custom Racing Tune, SVT package, Glass roof, Tech package
Gone: 2011 GT/CS Black
Gone: 2010 Sterling Gray GT, Track Pack
Allentown is offline  
J Orbit
Guest
 
J Orbit's Avatar
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allentown View Post
I think what should happen is one of the Mods should do the write up, lock the thread and only go in and update as things develop over time and just keep it as a locked and on going FAQ without replies (or too many replies).
This.

I've been meaning to get all this info together but I want to do it right and I just don't have the time lately. I will agree that this is a great idea.
Apprentice
 
t-ray's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Birmingham
Posts: 85
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allentown View Post
First good reason i have seen to justify running 93 octane all year long, even when its raining or slick.

I would think if you are A) running 93 octane gas and B)Not running a tune...this would never happen as knocking should never occur.

Ok so in summary we have A) A renegade knock sensor in #8 that is making tunes dangerous
I don't know this for a *fact* (which means I will likely be proven wrong) but I doubt there is a dedicated knock sensor per cylinder. More than likely there's a knock sensor per bank, and the sensor in that bank is not picking up noise from #8 for whatever reason.


*** Edit to add:
As an aside, I love the "take a dump" in the thread title. One day at work I notified a coworker that a server had died, but I used the term "taken a dump." This coworker was based offshore, and he replied "Taken a dump - I do not know what that means." So I always laugh at that expression now.

Last edited by t-ray; 05-04-2011 at 04:37 PM. Reason: added anecdote
t-ray is offline  
PONY Member
 
kordasn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 522
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-ray View Post
... This coworker was based offshore, and he replied "Taken a dump - I do not know what that means." So I always laugh at that expression now.
Lol, I am going to try that on the offshores at my work and see how they react.
kordasn is offline  
post #25 of 335 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011 Thread Starter
GT Member
 
fake's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Roswell
Posts: 1,872
 
What is the stock A/F ration with the stock tune, 12.1-12.5?
One guy was saying his aftermarket tuner gave him a 13.1-13.5 A/F ratio. That is to high of an A/F ration for an engine that runs so hot.

So how can Ford fix this problem? Oh wait, they have about 3-5 other problems with the 5.0 they can't or won't fix......

SOLD: Black 2011 GT 5.0.
1997 SVT Cobra Mustang
Full Steeda Suspension; OR X-Pipe; Flowmaster Exhaust; AMR wheels; Pro 5.0 Shifter, etc..
fake is offline  
PONY Member
S197 Member
 
Blueblaze's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: "The Coast "
Posts: 927
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allentown View Post
I think what should happen is one of the Mods should do the write up, lock the thread and only go in and update as things develop over time and just keep it as a locked and on going FAQ without replies (or too many replies).
Allentown, John Richard and others here. I agreed. It is unbelievable how somebody hears some else make a comment like this and it then become Internet fact about these cars and our mods..

The big guy's mentioned earlier like Bama, Brenspeed , Lund and others would not be tuning these cars to blow up.. sorry to burst anyone bubble , but they are all testing these tunes and have dyno'ed thousands of variations already.. They are running this tunes on their own cars as well.

I am no expert but sometimes reading this stuff just makes me crazy..


Blueblaze
2011 GT 5.0 Premium Coupe, Kona Blue, Interior Charcoal /Grabber Blue ,6 speed MT, Comfort Group, ,Brembo Brakes , 3.73 Gears, Security Package, Shaker1000, Polk Speakers, CDC Chin Spoiler, JLT Oil Separator, Custom Grille layout, HID, Brenspeed 93 Tune /Steeda CAI , GT500 SVT Axle Backs
A new Beast in disguise…..
Blueblaze is offline  
Apprentice
 
bghiggins's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Wentzville
Posts: 134
 
Makes me wonder... if the engine goes bunk after a tune and Ford determines it to be the tune that was the culprit, do the tuners cover the cost of repair? It would seem to be the prudent thing if they wanted to keep their good name.

2012 Mustang GT/CS 402a / Yellow Blaze / 3.55 / MT82 - Hushpower Axlebacks - Bama 93 Race
MCA 79999
bghiggins is offline  
PONY Member
 
calgarybandit's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Calgary
Posts: 500
 
Quote:
Makes me wonder... if the engine goes bunk after a tune and Ford determines it to be the tune that was the culprit, do the tuners cover the cost of repair? It would seem to be the prudent thing if they wanted to keep their good name.
If you have a nice Ford dealership they may cover it (depends on shop manager etc) Tuners that is why before you flash the car you have a non disclosure that comes up so they wont cover crap all.

20 x 8.5 - 10 TSW Nurburgring rims, 255/45/20 Nitto Invo, 315/30/20 R888 Toyo Proxes, Steeda LCA, Steeda Panhard bar, Roush UCA, Eibach front and rear sway bar kit, Eibach coilovers, C&L CAI, Kooks 1 -3/4 Kooks headers and offroad x-pipe, Magnaflow street series cat back, Boss 302 intake, AED tune, Circle D 3700 stall, FRPP 3.31, DSS carbon fiber drive shaft, Vortech JT 8 rib kit 3.48 pulley, ID 1000 injectors, Fore Innovations return style fuel system, LMR braided brake lines.
calgarybandit is offline  
PONY Member
 
calgarybandit's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Calgary
Posts: 500
 
Quote:
Allentown, John Richard and others here. I agreed. It is unbelievable how somebody hears some else make a comment like this and it then become Internet fact about these cars and our mods..

The big guy's mentioned earlier like Bama, Brenspeed , Lund and others would not be tuning these cars to blow up.. sorry to burst anyone bubble , but they are all testing these tunes and have dyno'ed thousands of variations already.. They are running this tunes on their own cars as well.

I am no expert but sometimes reading this stuff just makes me crazy..
I don't believe either this happens from a simple canned tune. Who knows if they ran 87 with a 93 tune or bagged the crap out of it etc. I have heard of motors blowing up when the limits are pushed with the tune but never from a canned tune.

20 x 8.5 - 10 TSW Nurburgring rims, 255/45/20 Nitto Invo, 315/30/20 R888 Toyo Proxes, Steeda LCA, Steeda Panhard bar, Roush UCA, Eibach front and rear sway bar kit, Eibach coilovers, C&L CAI, Kooks 1 -3/4 Kooks headers and offroad x-pipe, Magnaflow street series cat back, Boss 302 intake, AED tune, Circle D 3700 stall, FRPP 3.31, DSS carbon fiber drive shaft, Vortech JT 8 rib kit 3.48 pulley, ID 1000 injectors, Fore Innovations return style fuel system, LMR braided brake lines.
calgarybandit is offline  
GT Member
 
cababah's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 1,305
 
the tuner will say it is impossible for their tune to do anything wrong with the engine

the dealer will say your aftermarket tune caused the damage and they will not pay for it

you will be in the middle, bending over with your checkbook out. happy tuning!


2011 Mustang GT 5.0 Coupe/Brembos/3.73

"I'm also 6'5" and 270 lbs. and could crush a person's bones with my bare hands"
-Jozsefsz


cababah is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
 


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1