Are aftermarket tunes causing the #8 cylinder to take a dump? - Page 8 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
GT Member

Who's there????????????

2014 Mustang GT/CS - Coupe
Sterling Gray
Manual Trans
Glass Roof
Navigation
Comfort
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member

Your #8 piston saying I'm failing?

[FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]GT Premium Manual-Kona Blue[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Arial Black][COLOR=navy]401A Int.-Char/Blk/W/Cashmere[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Arial Black][COLOR=navy]Security Pkg.-3.73 Ltd Slip [/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Arial Black][COLOR=navy]Access Pkg #4 Hood Scoop N Ped Spoiler[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr-proper View Post
i still think the 5.0(mustag gt) just cant rev that high without breaking! and here is my conclusion:
the new BOSS 302 comes with '' stronger cylinder head, aggressive exhaust cams and lighter valve,
sturdier forged rods and PISTONS just to REV up to 7.500rpm!!!!!!!
and like i said ,the tuners raise the rpm limiter on a STOCK 5.0
to 7.500 rpm! doesnt that make you guys think a little bit? i mean the ford engineers didnt change the internals (PISTON etc.) for no REASON on the new BOSS 302!
Only problem with that is the FORD ProCal tuner ALSO Raises the limiter!! And thats straight FROM Ford...

2011 Race Red Auto
RoushCharged Vert

Grimace427

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr-proper View Post
i still think the 5.0(mustag gt) just cant rev that high without breaking! and here is my conclusion:
the new BOSS 302 comes with '' stronger cylinder head, aggressive exhaust cams and lighter valve,
sturdier forged rods and PISTONS just to REV up to 7.500rpm!!!!!!!
and like i said ,the tuners raise the rpm limiter on a STOCK 5.0
to 7.500 rpm! doesnt that make you guys think a little bit? i mean the ford engineers didnt change the internals (PISTON etc.) for no REASON on the new BOSS 302!
Not to mention the Boss does not have forged internals just to rev to 7,500 rpm. That limit is for the street cars only, the racecars use the same engine with the same parts and get over 8,000 rpm. Sorry I can't post the source at the moment but there are independant racers turning the previous 4.6 over 9,000 rpm's.

One tuner told me that the issue was with Job 1 cars. When were these cars built that had failures?
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboba6 View Post
Only problem with that is the FORD ProCal tuner ALSO Raises the limiter!! And thats straight FROM Ford...
Are you sure about this? I do not remember reading this anywhere...and never had a Ford Engineer admit it to me. :nogrinner

Current Ride: 2014 RAM 1500 SPORT
Toy: 89 RX7-Turbo (Future LS Swap)
Rookie

I think the issue with more of the quality of tuner not quite knowing exactly what to change when they create their tune opposed to experienced tuners. Considering this is a brand new type of engine it's probably got a different logic process on how to create gains by tuning compared to previous Mustang engines.

2011 Mustang GT 3.73's/Airaid CAI/Lethal Offroad H-Pipe/GT500 Axelback/John Lund Ghost Cam 93 Octane Tune
BOSS Member

Garage
This has now spread to the V6 forum. I guess they are worried about loosing the #8 piston.

Shadow Black 2018 GT 10R80-355
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thereaper View Post
This has now spread to the V6 forum. I guess they are worried about loosing the #8 piston.

"Am I going to blow my #8 cylinder?"

"You already did by default when you opted for the V6. Good luck with your new BOSS Intake Manifold."
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thereaper View Post
Ya I lost 7 and 8 somewhere........

2011 Mustang V6, Automatic, 2.73, C&L CAI, 93 Street Tune, Magnaflow Axle-Back, 1/4 ET: 13.545 Trap: 103.49 < All Mods Purchased From Lethal Performance.......
PONY Member

Quote's from Livernois Motorsports on other forum.

Seeing the posts about cars breaking the number 8 piston, we would rather be proactive than reactive and send out new files to everyone with our tunes. We've made some precautionary modifications that will not affect power.

As of Friday, I sent these files to everyone I have an email address for. If you did not receive an email from me, please send a pm with your name and email address and I will send you a new file.

Thank you

Regards,

Rick LeBlanc
Livernois Motorsports

And this From Livernois Motorsports.

I don't know of any that have failed with our tune, however our tuner Dan wanted to make some changes to ensure we don't see any. I can't comment on exactly what was changed since I am not the tuner, but I know that the knock sensor sensitivity was put back to OEM spec.

Thank you,

Rick
BOSS Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnold66 View Post
Quote's from Livernois Motorsports on other forum.

Seeing the posts about cars breaking the number 8 piston, we would rather be proactive than reactive and send out new files to everyone with our tunes. We've made some precautionary modifications that will not affect power.

As of Friday, I sent these files to everyone I have an email address for. If you did not receive an email from me, please send a pm with your name and email address and I will send you a new file.

Thank you

Regards,

Rick LeBlanc
Livernois Motorsports

And this From Livernois Motorsports.

I don't know of any that have failed with our tune, however our tuner Dan wanted to make some changes to ensure we don't see any. I can't comment on exactly what was changed since I am not the tuner, but I know that the knock sensor sensitivity was put back to OEM spec.

Thank you,

Rick
That's good news. I think.

Shadow Black 2018 GT 10R80-355
PONY Member

I guess that's good and bad news then.... It confirms a poor tune CAN cause this, and also confirms that a good tuner can prevent it from becoming an issue.

2011 GT 6MT (Cookie Monster) - The 1/4 life crisis. Brembos, 401A, drop top, Grabber Blue.

1974 Dodge Challenger - The money pit. 408 SB stroker, Megasquirt 2 EFI, 904TF, 3.91 gears. 16MPG and 520HP goodness

2004 Hyundai Tiburon - The winter beater.
Apprentice

Send a message via Yahoo to 5venoms
Oh brother. Let it go. Like the man said. He is not aware of anyone that lost #8 running their tune. Like I said. How many motors have you torn down? How many have you put together? How many cars have you actually tuned? How many passes have you made at the track. How many race cars have you built. How about this question. What f/a ratio do you prefer to run in your cars that are naturally aspirated?
PONY Member

Whoa, I wasn't picking a fight, and I'm not playing the d$%^ swinging game either. I don't care about your engine building experience, nor your supreme mastery of the internal combustion engine. 12.8-13 NA BTW.... It varies. I've also torn down probably a hundred or so engines, and not for hot rod stuff, OEM engineering and analysis testing. Bolt by bolt, documented and failure analysis deals, it's very in depth and time consuming. Not some quick speed shop build up crap. Diagnostics is my area. Fast cars are a hobby, and I've had my fair share of that too. And what does track experience have to do with this Ricky Bobby?

However, don't you find it a bit odd that nobody with this issue was running a stock tune? And isn't it a bit strange for a well known tuner to immediately send out new tunes to it's customers as a "precaution"? Yes, that tuner has not had an issue. He's a very competent and well known tuner, I'd expect no less!

2011 GT 6MT (Cookie Monster) - The 1/4 life crisis. Brembos, 401A, drop top, Grabber Blue.

1974 Dodge Challenger - The money pit. 408 SB stroker, Megasquirt 2 EFI, 904TF, 3.91 gears. 16MPG and 520HP goodness

2004 Hyundai Tiburon - The winter beater.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page