Are aftermarket tunes causing the #8 cylinder to take a dump? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 335 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011 Thread Starter
GT Member

Exclamation Are aftermarket tunes causing the #8 cylinder to take a dump?

I've been reading for the better part of 2 hours this morning on numerous Mustang sites. I was reading that some people are having the #8 cylinder lose compression where the knock sensor is not picking up the #8. I've seen in numerous posts where the ring actually folded over the cylinder head.

Now I know there are TONS of guys with aftermarket tunes and have 0 problems. When I read that a problem occured, every single person had a tune; every single person. This results in a new engine or warranty being denied, depending on the dealer.

I have not read where this has been a problem with guys running stock ECU settings.

So what's going on here? Discuss......

SOLD: Black 2011 GT 5.0.
1997 SVT Cobra Mustang
Full Steeda Suspension; OR X-Pipe; Flowmaster Exhaust; AMR wheels; Pro 5.0 Shifter, etc..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member

Links to issues?
First time I've heard of it.

2012 Mustang GT Premium - Lava Red - Lava Red interior - 6R80 - Glass Roof - HID/SP - EP - RVC - RSS - CP - Remote Start
Ordered 4/30/11 VIN 5/26/11 Sticker Online 6/2/11 Build 6/8/11 ETA 6/29/11 ETA2 7/4/11 ETA3 7/11/11 Delivered 7/13/11

post #4 of 335 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011 Thread Starter
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curr View Post
Links to issues?
First time I've heard of it.
There are quite a few posts. Just do a Google search.

Engine CARNAGE...#8... 5L KryPoNITE - SVTPerformance

Car in shop for engine knocking - SVTPerformance

mustang running rough - SVTPerformance

2011 gt misfire - The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

1997 SVT Cobra Mustang
Full Steeda Suspension; OR X-Pipe; Flowmaster Exhaust; AMR wheels; Pro 5.0 Shifter, etc..
PONY Member

Hopefully the guys at Bama and AM will chime in with some information. I have a lot of faith in their tunes. Hopefully that's well-founded.

Mods don't matter.
J Orbit

FWIW I had a casual convo with my dealership's shuttle driver who relayed a story about a customer with a new 5.0 that had a race tune and supposedly one of the pistons melted as a result and the engine had to be replaced. He was no tech but he did emphasize that it was the tune that caused the problem.
Again, that's just what I was told.
PONY Member

I need to stop reading the forums, yet another thing I have to worry about. Hope it's because of shiity tunes not just any tune.

2012 GT Black Premium 6MT, 20" Black Foose Nitrous Staggered.

MODS: Airaid CAI, 93 BAMA Performance Tune, Roush Axle-Backs, GT500 Splash Guards, Shorty Antenna, Steeda Black Shift Knob, Extra Chrome Trim, 3rd Brake Light Decal, Aeroforce Interceptor Gauge w/ Roush Vent Pod, Valetine 1.
post #8 of 335 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011 Thread Starter
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanRam View Post
Hopefully the guys at Bama and AM will chime in with some information. I have a lot of faith in their tunes. Hopefully that's well-founded.
Those guys have sold thousands of their tuners with no problems and they will stand behind their product 100%, as they should. Just the small amount problems I have found have all had tuners installed and it is always 99% of the time the #8 cylinder. Like I said, I have not found one post where there were problems with the stock tune.

1997 SVT Cobra Mustang
GT Member

Drive it until it brakes or trade it in for a Buick...

I don't speak often but when I do, I don't have clue what I am talking about. I just repeat things that I once heard and do not repeat them correctly... My doctor told me it was an ID 10 T problem and it was incurable.
So when I reply to a post or add to a thread I just find the words elsewhere and copy and paste.
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRichard View Post
Drive it until it brakes or trade it in for a Buick...
Awesome... Just Awesome... embarrassed

2011 Ingot Silver GT Premium - 6MT - California Special - HID - 3.73 - Glass Roof - Roush Axle Backs
BBR Shortie Antenna - Viper SmartStart - Barton Shifter & Bracket - JLT Oil Separator - Amsoil Synchromesh

Ordered: 11/6/10 | Obtained VIN: 11/19/2010 | Delivery Date: 12/23/2010 | Window Sticker: 12/10/2010 | Build Date: 12/16/2010 | Body Shop: 12/14/2010 | Trim Line: 12/15/2010 | Ready to Ship: 12/16/2010 | New Delivery Date: 12/29/2010 | Delivered: 1/5/2011
MACH I Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Orbit View Post
FWIW I had a casual convo with my dealership's shuttle driver who relayed a story about a customer with a new 5.0 that had a race tune and supposedly one of the pistons melted as a result and the engine had to be replaced. He was no tech but he did emphasize that it was the tune that caused the problem.
Again, that's just what I was told.
In the technical article on the 5.0 one of the engineers stated that the 5.0 heats up "exponentially" with extended driving above 4,500 rpms.

For this reason, the 5.0 F150 comes with the oil cooler installed and a much lower compression ratio and less aggressiving timings.

If i had to wager a guess i would say its not "just" the tune but a combination of the race tune and extended high RPM driving on a hot day, possibly with substandard gas.

Pure conjecture mind you but thinking about the combination of the word "exponentionally" and what the ford enginners did on the F150 5.0 i would say it is educated conjecture.

Reason number 83 why i am not going to be modding much or getting a tune.

2011 Shelby GT 500: C&L CAI, Roush GT 500 Performance axlebacks, Steeda 2.65 Supercharger pulley with idler/belt tensioner, Ford SVT Custom Racing Tune, SVT package, Glass roof, Tech package
Gone: 2011 GT/CS Black
Gone: 2010 Sterling Gray GT, Track Pack
PONY Member

I had a weird error come up on my car when I first loaded my Bama tune. I had a weird bank two error come up. I deleted the error reloaded my tune and touch wood has not come back yet. There is so much that these motors can offer in a tune and I can guarantee you that they (Bama, Brenspeed, Jon Lund) etc have not even touch into the 4 cams for duration, settings etc. I would say a big part of those motors going was low octane and some really hard ass driving.

20 x 8.5 - 10 TSW Nurburgring rims, 255/45/20 Nitto Invo, 315/30/20 R888 Toyo Proxes, Steeda LCA, Steeda Panhard bar, Roush UCA, Eibach front and rear sway bar kit, Eibach coilovers, C&L CAI, Kooks 1 -3/4 Kooks headers and offroad x-pipe, Magnaflow street series cat back, Boss 302 intake, AED tune, Circle D 3700 stall, FRPP 3.31, DSS carbon fiber drive shaft, Vortech JT 8 rib kit 3.48 pulley, ID 1000 injectors, Fore Innovations return style fuel system, LMR braided brake lines.
PONY Member

After reading the threads posted in this thread (thanks for posting), it seems as thought there may be an issue with the Knock Sensor for Cyl #8 and not an issue with tunes.

Chris from AM testifies that the tunes that he swears by are not the issue, per his posts in a thread.

To Quote 1Quick4.6 on svtperformance: "Where they let the cat out the bag was talking to a tech that i know personally. According to Ford these cars have a problem with the number 8 cycl not being picked up by the knock sensors and guess what folks thats how these cars add timing for diff octane fuels.they do more than previous years. Ford also said that they are seeing alot of cars lossing number 8 the same way (rolling the compression ring over the piston only on number 8)HMM sounds like a faulty product to me."

2011 Ingot Silver GT Premium - 6MT - California Special - HID - 3.73 - Glass Roof - Roush Axle Backs
BBR Shortie Antenna - Viper SmartStart - Barton Shifter & Bracket - JLT Oil Separator - Amsoil Synchromesh

Ordered: 11/6/10 | Obtained VIN: 11/19/2010 | Delivery Date: 12/23/2010 | Window Sticker: 12/10/2010 | Build Date: 12/16/2010 | Body Shop: 12/14/2010 | Trim Line: 12/15/2010 | Ready to Ship: 12/16/2010 | New Delivery Date: 12/29/2010 | Delivered: 1/5/2011
MACH I Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGT96drvr View Post
After reading the threads posted in this thread (thanks for posting), it seems as thought there may be an issue with the Knock Sensor for Cyl #8 and not an issue with tunes.

Chris from AM testifies that the tunes that he swears by are not the issue, per his posts in a thread.

To Quote 1Quick4.6 on svtperformance: "Where they let the cat out the bag was talking to a tech that i know personally. According to Ford these cars have a problem with the number 8 cycl not being picked up by the knock sensors and guess what folks thats how these cars add timing for diff octane fuels.they do more than previous years. Ford also said that they are seeing alot of cars lossing number 8 the same way (rolling the compression ring over the piston only on number 8)HMM sounds like a faulty product to me."
First good reason i have seen to justify running 93 octane all year long, even when its raining or slick.

I would think if you are A) running 93 octane gas and B)Not running a tune...this would never happen as knocking should never occur.

Ok so in summary we have A) A renegade knock sensor in #8 that is making tunes dangerous B) some slightly out of speck internal causing a ticking sound which is fixed by a mystery additive, may or may not be dangerous and may or may not go away and C)Some combination of clutch/flywheel assembly, bendy gear fork, synchro or inertial forces on the remote style Mt82 thats causing temperature aggrivated rough shifting and in some cases transmission failures and D) a few rare 5.0s which unexplainably seem to have no oil in them within the first 5,000 miles.

Does that include everything? Not trying to be smart here, just trying to get a good summation of all the things to be on the look out for.

2011 Shelby GT 500: C&L CAI, Roush GT 500 Performance axlebacks, Steeda 2.65 Supercharger pulley with idler/belt tensioner, Ford SVT Custom Racing Tune, SVT package, Glass roof, Tech package
Gone: 2011 GT/CS Black
Gone: 2010 Sterling Gray GT, Track Pack
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMoneY View Post
I need to stop reading the forums, yet another thing I have to worry about. Hope it's because of shiity tunes not just any tune.
I couldnt agree more but it's very addicting you learn so much on here

2016 Fastback GT Base model with Performance Package.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page