2012 GT Air Conditioning not so cold? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
2012 GT Air Conditioning not so cold?

Hey guys,

Not sure if I should be posting here or some where else. Let me know if I should move it, please.

We have been fortunate in Michigan to have some really nice weather the past few days, but when I leave work after the car has been sitting in the parking lot all day the AC just doesn't seem up to the task. I have tried max AC, changing the air vents, windows down to let the hot air out, etc. and it just doesn't seem that cold. I have the electronics package and the temp is at 60 (lowest I can get it to go).

Anyone else experencing this with their AC? I wish we had cooled seats instead of heated lol.

Any ideas on how to get it colder?

Laura
Ordered 1/3/11
Built 4/15/11
Delivered: 4/28/11
2012 GT Prem MT lava red/lava red 400a
Nav/electronics/HID/comfort/brembo/accessory pkg 4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011
PONY Member

It would normally take a few minutes of running before it'll get cold!

If it's not getting cold enough it could have a low freon issue.Take it to the dealer & have the freon level checked.Some of the older vehicles used to have a sight glass that you could just look at if it bubbles it's low.

Probably not present on our Mustangs.This means the only way to check the freon level is to put a set of gauges on it.

Almost forgot to mention that if the freon is low it either didn't get filled properly from the factory OR it has a leak.If it does have a leak & they just recharge the system it will leak out again.If it turns out that it's low make sure they do a leak test!

[FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]GT Premium Manual-Kona Blue[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Arial Black][COLOR=navy]401A Int.-Char/Blk/W/Cashmere[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Arial Black][COLOR=navy]Security Pkg.-3.73 Ltd Slip [/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Arial Black][COLOR=navy]Access Pkg #4 Hood Scoop N Ped Spoiler[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

Last edited by knk11stang; 05-12-2011 at 10:04 PM. Reason: add
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011
GT Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Have the same problem on my 2011 GT/CS. We have had a few days over 100 already and the AC will only get the temp inside down to about 90 degrees or so. I have not had time to take it in but will soon.

2011 GT/CS Coupe: Nav, comfort package, Electronics package, Borla axle back exhaust, VIS-Stalker Hood, H&R Lowering springs, Rear louvers, Complete white out, Silly GT/CS stripe deleted, powder coated rims, Tri bar pony 5.0 badges, K&N air filter.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT STYLE View Post
Have the same problem on my 2011 GT/CS. We have had a few days over 100 already and the AC will only get the temp inside down to about 90 degrees or so. I have not had time to take it in but will soon.
Yeah take it in because that doesn't sound like it's working!

Get this I had a 1993 F-150 that had the older R-12 freon system.Just sold it in 2009 (LOVED THAT TRUCK) & when I sold it the entire A/C system was original with the original factory R-12 freon charge & that thing still would freeze your ass out on a 100 degree day!

First vehicle I ever owned that didn't need some type of A/C repair!

[FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]GT Premium Manual-Kona Blue[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Arial Black][COLOR=navy]401A Int.-Char/Blk/W/Cashmere[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Arial Black][COLOR=navy]Security Pkg.-3.73 Ltd Slip [/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Arial Black][COLOR=navy]Access Pkg #4 Hood Scoop N Ped Spoiler[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011
Apprentice

Send a message via Yahoo to 5venoms
The AC in our cars is definitely sub par. It only gets cold when you have it on max and you are at highway speeds.

As a side note Freon is a brand name for R-12 and our cars use R-134A. R12 is way more efficient than 134A. In fact if you convert an older R12 system over to 134A you need more refrigerant in the system than you did with R12 for it to function and even then it isn't as cold.

I know from a reliable source that some of the system the Navy uses were unable to be converted to R134A because it wasn't as efficient as R12.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5venoms View Post
The AC in our cars is definitely sub par. It only gets cold when you have it on max and you are at highway speeds.

As a side note Freon is a brand name for R-12 and our cars use R-134A. R12 is way more efficient than 134A. In fact if you convert an older R12 system over to 134A you need more refrigerant in the system than you did with R12 for it to function and even then it isn't as cold.

I know from a reliable source that some of the system the Navy uses were unable to be converted to R134A because it wasn't as efficient as R12.
Your correct about the inefficiency of the R-134a as compared to R-12.However Freon is not a brand name for R-12!

The word FREON is a generality that refers to different types of various fluorocarbons!Such as R-12 R-22 R-134a R-500 R-502!

LOOK IT UP!

post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011
PONY Member

No complaints with our three 2011's.
All have window tint and that does help a lot.

Are you doing the usual things to keep the car cooler while it is parked?
Sun Shade in the windshield
Lowering the windows slightly
parked in shade, etc..

Once you're in it;
Opening the windows for the first minute or two of driving to flush out the hot air from the interiror
Run the A/C in normal mode that pulls outside air for the first couple of minutes. This uses the oustide air at say 100 degress instead of the air in the car at say 140 degrees. Once the cabin air temp gets down around outside air temp switch to Max or recirculation mode.

I added remote start, it takes me a few minutes to get to my car from my desk and if I remote start the car with the A/C running that works wonders.

2011 GT, VMP Roush TVS, 10.80 @ 127mph
DynoSpeedRacing, Memphis TN
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011
GT Member

Send a message via AIM to Fastredponycar
+1 on the AC not being that great. My two 13 year old volvos blow colder than my mustang.

2012 GT Premuim - Candy Metallic Red, MT82, Comfort package, Reverse Camera, Brembos and 3.73's.

Mods: JLT oil separator, Koni Sports, Steeda sport springs/HD strut mounts, GT500 Axleback, Air Raid CAI

373 RWHP / 356 TQ - Stock on 87 octane
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011
PONY Member

I live in Texas, where we have already had quite a few days in the mid-90s. I also would say that my air conditioning is not very cold. Even when the outdoor temp is in the mid-80s, it never gets really cold. I have not measured it yet, but even after I drive a long time, it feels like the air temp coming out of the vents is maybe 55-60 degrees. I've had cars where the AC blew air in the 40s.

2011 Kona Blue GT Premium
Apprentice

Mine's pretty cold. Y'all need tinting.
GT Member

Send a message via AIM to Fastredponycar
Quote:
Originally Posted by drshdw View Post
Mine's pretty cold. Y'all need tinting.
it's near the top of my list. The heat in Alabama summers are just as relentless as what you guys suffer through

2012 GT Premuim - Candy Metallic Red, MT82, Comfort package, Reverse Camera, Brembos and 3.73's.

Mods: JLT oil separator, Koni Sports, Steeda sport springs/HD strut mounts, GT500 Axleback, Air Raid CAI

373 RWHP / 356 TQ - Stock on 87 octane
PONY Member

I had issues before I got tint because of the black leather, but afterwards even on the 100+ days it was pretty easy to freeze to death...

Mods don't matter.
Apprentice

Send a message via Yahoo to 5venoms
Quote:
Originally Posted by knk11stang View Post
Your correct about the inefficiency of the R-134a as compared to R-12.However Freon is not a brand name for R-12!

The word FREON is a generality that refers to different types of various fluorocarbons!Such as R-12 R-22 R-134a R-500 R-502!

LOOK IT UP!
Sorry. Freon is Dupont;s branding of refrigerants and R12 is the most common variety.

Chlorofluorocarbon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
PONY Member

Quote:
Sorry. Freon is Dupont;s branding of refrigerants and R12 is the most common variety.

Chlorofluorocarbon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
NO PROB!Here is a link to the word FREON!

freon in English - Google Dictionary

GT Member

Quote:

I'm no when converting R12 system to R134a it's 80% or 20% of what the system calls for each way is very close to each other. Not adding more to the system than what it called for. R134a systems are very senitive to over and under charging. They can make R134a cool as good R12 did just some parts have to be bigger to do it. R12 system would still cool good even if it was under charged

You can thank Dupont on R12 to R134a because there patent ran out in 1994. Since they had pull in Gov forced us all to use R134a guess what they have patent on it too. The good old ozone scare CFC eating it wow since it's heavier than air how can it. Oh that worlds oceans put out more CFC in 1yr than mankind has made. If we dumped all the CFC man has made at once worlds oceans still beat us.....R134a is by far more harmful to our air than R12 ever was R134a is lighter than air so it does go up into the atmosphere.

The only good that has come out of change over to R134a better parts as in hoses and compressors. R12 stuff would seeped through the hoses and seals.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page