2011 GT: couple installation questions for gt500 exhaust - Page 3 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
GT Member

Send a message via AIM to Fastredponycar
1) Think it is possible to do this using jackstands?

Yes but ramps make it MUCH easier and safer.

2) If so, where do you jack these mustangs up (front and back)? My ram air, I use the rear differential housing and a couple metal places near the front fender clips.

On my 97 GT, I lift at the axles and support under the LCA's but having jack stands there may get in your way as you'll be down right there tugging and pushing on the mufflers during the install. Ramps eliminate that.

3) There shouldn't be a need for modifications of any parts (either already on the car or the new gt500s is needed, right?

No it's a direct swap

4) No welding is needed?

See above

5) What tools are required? Nothing special, right?

Nothing special but see my thread at the bottom of this reply for everything I needed

6) Did anyone have problems getting parts over or under anything?

In my thread below this, you'll note that dropping the drivers side of the track bar makes things a lot easier. A simple 2 bolt process.

7) I see this exhaust is noise compliant for all 50 states, but I shouldn't have any problem passing NC emissions with it on, right? It is a muffler after all. I'm not removing cats or anything.

No you're fine

This is my install thread with pictures and notes regarding tricky or problematic items and how to easily avoid them. This is a very very simple install. A lift would make things easy but ramps are still going to be much better than jacking/jack stands IMO.

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...pressions.html

I really recommend doing this yourself because when you're down there, you'll understand a lot about how the car's suspension works and what's what. You'll also get that sense of accomplishment when you're done and save $$ doing it yourself. Stuff like this unless you've got cash to burn, shouldn't be done at a shop IMO unless the price is too good to ignore.

2012 GT Premuim - Candy Metallic Red, MT82, Comfort package, Reverse Camera, Brembos and 3.73's.

Mods: JLT oil separator, Koni Sports, Steeda sport springs/HD strut mounts, GT500 Axleback, Air Raid CAI

373 RWHP / 356 TQ - Stock on 87 octane
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rookie

I had them installed, along with some f & r "mud flaps", for $100. Love them. Not too loud, but fun if I get in to it a bit.

Rookie

The GT500's sound SO much better in person than on any video, they are amazing and well worth the $!

Good luck on the install, pop off the pipes, lube the hangers, remove the muffler from the rear hanger, slide the muffler forward to access the other bolts, and then unbolt. Repeat on the other side, swap the mounts and bolt back on.

GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by notarad View Post
The GT500's sound SO much better in person than on any video, they are amazing and well worth the $!

Good luck on the install, pop off the pipes, lube the hangers, remove the muffler from the rear hanger, slide the muffler forward to access the other bolts, and then unbolt. Repeat on the other side, swap the mounts and bolt back on.
I haven't even gotten under there yet but great short description. Sounds fairly easy. From what I can tell, lubing up the rubber allows you to slide forward the assembly to access the hard to reach bolt. Does that sound correct?

2012 black on black GT Premium Auto 6R80 - 400A
20 x 8.5" AR Torq Thrust M - BMR springs & Koni str.t shocks - GT500 mounts - J&M LCAs - CHE reloc brackets - J&M panhard - General GMAX AS3 - GT500 axel backs (no resonators) - GT500 spoiler - MMD tail light trim - Roush side splitters - AM upper/lower billet grill - Bama 93v2R tune - Airade CAI
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by choate View Post
I haven't even gotten under there yet but great short description. Sounds fairly easy. From what I can tell, lubing up the rubber allows you to slide forward the assembly to access the hard to reach bolt. Does that sound correct?
Un bolt the pipe and slide the rear hanger off the rubber mount and the muffler will slide forward . The top bolt is not hard to reach .
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by P51 Nick View Post
Un bolt the pipe and slide the rear hanger off the rubber mount and the muffler will slide forward . The top bolt is not hard to reach .
^ this guy know's best

I lubed the hangers to help it slide forward was all, I'm weak
Rookie

Sorry if this has been asked elsewhere, but I couldn't find an answer in search and thought it better to resurrect an existing relevant thread than create a new one.

I recently had a pair of GT500 axelbacks installed on my 2012 GT and while I absolutely *love* the sound, the fitament out the back seems quite poor. Neither exhaust port is centered (they're both about an inch too high) and one of them leans quite significantly towards the middle of the car. I've been going to the same small shop for the past four years and know the owner to be a capable and competent mechanic and this part is notoriously easy to install, so I'm inclined to believe that they were installed correctly, but being a ford racing part and all it just seems strange that the fitament would not be bang on. Anyway, it drives me nuts every time I see it. I've asked the mechanic what options I really have and he said that he could heat the mufflers up and bend the back ports so that they were centered, but that it would be a fairly expensive process.

Anyone have any insight on this? Do I have any other options? If it means anything, it did not appear that they were damaged in any way as they arrived in the mail.

Thanks!
Rookie

Whoa!

I just did this and there's NOTHING to it at all. Merely loosen the clamp that mates the muffler pipe to the exhause pipe. The muffler can now be (slightly) moved. Have another person hold the exhaust tip where you want it while you tighten the clamp bolt.

2012 Yellow Blaze GT/CS coupe with manual transmission, 3.73 axle, Comfort Package, and HID/Security Package
Apprentice
S197 Member

I installed a set on mine and it took a 13mm socket and an 10" extension. Taking the stock mufflers off took more time than putting the new ones on. The forward bracket must be taken off with the stock mufflers.

Diggerpine

2011 5.0 GT Coupe/Kona Blue/6-Spd Manual/3.73 ...
GT-500 Touring Axle-Backs/DG Window Louvers/CDC Shaker Hood Intake/Hurst Billet + Shifter/Custom Hood Spear Stripes/Redline Hood Struts/GT-500 Injectors/Vortech V-3 Si-Trim Supercharger/ Eaton Detroit Truetrac Diff/FRRP 3.73s', D/R Aluminum Diff. Cover...

The Fun!...depends on my right foot...
PONY Member

I took mine into a shop to do that I knew. Just to hang them it looked rather simple just loosen the pipe clamp and they slide the old ones out may use some WD40 to get the old ones to slide off easier but install is a straight bolt on and uses the factory hangers. Took them about 20-25 mins to take the old ones off and have the new ones lined up and tight. Sounded great.

2014 Mustang GT MT/3:73 Gears/Brembo Brake Package
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhemz View Post
Sorry if this has been asked elsewhere, but I couldn't find an answer in search and thought it better to resurrect an existing relevant thread than create a new one.

I recently had a pair of GT500 axelbacks installed on my 2012 GT and while I absolutely *love* the sound, the fitament out the back seems quite poor. Neither exhaust port is centered (they're both about an inch too high) and one of them leans quite significantly towards the middle of the car. I've been going to the same small shop for the past four years and know the owner to be a capable and competent mechanic and this part is notoriously easy to install, so I'm inclined to believe that they were installed correctly, but being a ford racing part and all it just seems strange that the fitament would not be bang on. Anyway, it drives me nuts every time I see it. I've asked the mechanic what options I really have and he said that he could heat the mufflers up and bend the back ports so that they were centered, but that it would be a fairly expensive process.

Anyone have any insight on this? Do I have any other options? If it means anything, it did not appear that they were damaged in any way as they arrived in the mail.

Thanks!
Just loosen the muffler to where it clamps on the exhaust pipe and adjust the mufflers don't loosen them all the way just enough to where they begin to move then retighten, very easy. If the tips don't stick out far enough loosen the over the axle pipes two bolts on each pipe and you can move them a good inch towards the back.

2012 GT Premium, Ingot Silver, Brembo package, 3.73's, Clear Bra, GT500 Axle Backs, tint.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page