2012 Mustang 5.0 - Questions - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie
5.0L Member
S197 Member

2012 Mustang 5.0 - Questions

Hey guys,

I'm new to the forum. I just picked up my brand new 2012 Mustang GT about a week ago. I'm also new to driving stick. I've managed to get a pretty good handle on it over the past week.

I still have a few questions that I'm not sure of...

1. Are hard starts bad for your clutch?? Obviously if you're reving up to 5k+ rpm and dropping the clutch - you're putting some wear on your clutch. But, what about at 3k??? still bad?

2. In traffic, I find it useful to slowly release the clutch - allowing the clutch to pull the car (not giving any gas). It moves the car at a slow speed which is perfect for stop and go traffic. Is this bad for the clutch? someone told me that its not good to let the clutch pull the car. Is that right?

3. When downshifting (which I'm still trying to get used to). I find that the car shoots forward quickly as I release the clutch before it begins to slow down in the lower gear. What am I doing wrong? Am I reving too high?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011
PONY Member
5.0L Member

1. if its considered a "hard start" then yes it only lowers the life of your clutch. Its hard on everything though not just your clutch.

2. yes slowly releasing the clutch is considered more wear and tear because it creates much more friction and heat. When theres more heat on the flywheel the more likely you are to have it warp.

3. Use your brakes. Its much easier to replace your brakes to than it is to replace your clutch. Your not driving an 18 wheeler.

Im only going to say this once, keep your arms and legs in the vehicle at all times
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011
BOSS Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Rockin' Blue's
Great to have you here , enjoy the site

[LEFT]"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government " Thomas Jefferson

There's another old saying, Senator: Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining
( Outlaw Josey Wales )

My Ride : " Buster " 2007 Vista Blue GT

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011
Apprentice
S197 Member

Practice practice practice and then more practice.

BTW I downshifted all the time with my LS1 T56, and the original clutch lasted to 149K miles. When it was replaced with an LS9 twin disc it still had plenty of life left on it.

Craig
2012 GT 300A Lava Red Metallic, Brembo's, 3.73's, Build date 6/17/11
372 RWHP, 354 RWTQ ; GT500 AB's, MGW
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011
PONY Member

If the car lurches forward when downshifting, you are giving it too much gas.

Letting the clutch pull you from a stop with no gas probably isn't the best thing you can do to your clutch, but the RPMs and torque are so low you'd have to do it for a long time before you started melting anything. The clutch can take a fair bit of abuse.

Shocking the drivetrain (dumping the clutch) is bad for the clutch (and the rest of the system) no matter what the RPM is. Even at the drag strip, you'll get the best launch by slipping the clutch. If you dump it, you'll either bog the engine down or spin out forever. I know this from experience - my best time dumping was 13.5; my best time slipping was 12.75.

2012 GT Premium Coupe 6MT
Kona Blue | Black/Grabber Blue
401A | 3.55 | BBP | CP | SP | EP | GR | HID | RVC | RSS | "Piss 5ohwhoa off"
Delivered 07MAR11
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Thanks for the info.

So, what do you suggest I do when driving in traffic?
When you need to move up slowly and then stop again. The prob is, I can't even fully engage the clutch before I have to begin stopping.
I don't get my foot complete off the clutch before I have to disengage it again. Is that okay?

Its similar to when I'm reversing. When in reverse I have to RIDE the clutch because if I complete get off the clutch, the car is moving too quickly. Is this bad?

Like I mentioned earlier - I'm new to driving stick. Any helpful tricks would be appreciated.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011
Apprentice
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye18 View Post
If the car lurches forward when downshifting, you are giving it too much gas.

Letting the clutch pull you from a stop with no gas probably isn't the best thing you can do to your clutch, but the RPMs and torque are so low you'd have to do it for a long time before you started melting anything. The clutch can take a fair bit of abuse.

Shocking the drivetrain (dumping the clutch) is bad for the clutch (and the rest of the system) no matter what the RPM is. Even at the drag strip, you'll get the best launch by slipping the clutch. If you dump it, you'll either bog the engine down or spin out forever. I know this from experience - my best time dumping was 13.5; my best time slipping was 12.75.
As I am also new to driving stick can you tell me the difference in slipping the clutch and dumping the clutch? Great thread for us newbies! Thanks!

2012 Mustang GT Premium - Premier Trim with Grabber Blue accents - Electronics Package - Accessory Pack 4 - Add on Brembo strut tower brace - Borla S-type axle backs - DG custom quarter scoops - GT 500 SVT stripes - Hood Lift kit Redline Tuning - Aeroforce Interceptor Dual Gauge Pack
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I'm a newbie, so you probably want someone to confirm this...
I believe the main difference is...

Dropping the Clutch - bring your revs up (somewhere between 3k-5k) and QUICKLY release the clutch.

Slipping the Clutch - Give a bit more gas than you normally would when taking off (maybe 3k) and then slowly release the clutch. This allows you to have more control of the car - i.e. control wheel spin, acceleration speed, etc.

I don't believe either are good for your clutch though.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011
Apprentice

dont worry about it... good clutches are only about 1500 on this car lol

honestly, dont over think it, its the best bet.. if your a "car guy" listen to your car.. it will tell you when you downshift or up shift.

when i got my first car with a manual (not sure if this is your first or not) , i would simply go out and just drive. find up and down hills to start and stop on.. and big parking lots to practice taking off smoothly.. before you know it, you'll be a pro!
and if not.. as long as you think you are, thats all that counts!!

2011 GT Premium: Brembo package, 3.73, HIDs
Steeda CAI, Evolution 93 performance tune, bassani x pipe, flowmaster axle back "American thunder", barton short throw with bracket, steeda LCA, Steeda fully adjustable UCA, Steeda ultralite springs,steeda three point frame rail & torque box brace,BMR LCA rellocation bracket, adjustable panhard rod, hd panhard brace,g-trac brace,275/35/19 nitto nt 05s (on the back so far), gt500 spoiler,Spec stage 3+ and Flywheel,, tinted windows
Banned

There's really no right or wrong way. Just learn your car. Learn the feel and how it behaves. Bottom line: things should feels smooth for every day driving.
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012_5.0 View Post
Thanks for the info.

So, what do you suggest I do when driving in traffic?
When you need to move up slowly and then stop again. The prob is, I can't even fully engage the clutch before I have to begin stopping.
I don't get my foot complete off the clutch before I have to disengage it again. Is that okay?

Its similar to when I'm reversing. When in reverse I have to RIDE the clutch because if I complete get off the clutch, the car is moving too quickly. Is this bad?

Like I mentioned earlier - I'm new to driving stick. Any helpful tricks would be appreciated.
Honestly, dude, the clutch is a wear item. No matter how you drive it, no matter how perfect your engagements are, the clutch is still eventually going to wear out. Just like brake pads.

Sometimes I do all the things you just listed. Especially the reverse thing; I frequently have to ride it myself. But again, at engine speeds barely above idle you'd have to ride it for literally half an hour before you started heating the clutch up. So don't worry about it. You have to slip the clutch to get moving; that's how clutches work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gblue12GT View Post
As I am also new to driving stick can you tell me the difference in slipping the clutch and dumping the clutch? Great thread for us newbies! Thanks!
Quote:
I'm a newbie, so you probably want someone to confirm this...
I believe the main difference is...

Dropping the Clutch - bring your revs up (somewhere between 3k-5k) and QUICKLY release the clutch.

Slipping the Clutch - Give a bit more gas than you normally would when taking off (maybe 3k) and then slowly release the clutch. This allows you to have more control of the car - i.e. control wheel spin, acceleration speed, etc.

I don't believe either are good for your clutch though.
Pretty much that. Dumping it means you just slide your foot off the side of the clutch pedal and let it spring up. Slipping the clutch is the same thing you do when pulling out from a red light, just at 3-4k rpm and launching a lot harder.

2012 GT Premium Coupe 6MT
Kona Blue | Black/Grabber Blue
401A | 3.55 | BBP | CP | SP | EP | GR | HID | RVC | RSS | "Piss 5ohwhoa off"
Delivered 07MAR11
PONY Member

Quote:
3. When downshifting (which I'm still trying to get used to). I find that the car shoots forward quickly as I release the clutch before it begins to slow down in the lower gear. What am I doing wrong? Am I reving too high?
When this happens, do you feel pushed forward yourself or do you feel pushed back into the seat? That will determine if you are revving too high or not revving high enough on the downshift. After a while, you get used to what RPMs you should be at to go down a gear at the speed you are going and you can rev match. A good rev matched downshift won't have you accelerating or sharply decelerating (where you get thrown forward in your seat).

But in general, it's better to just put it in neutral and coast to a stop using your brakes to stop you instead of the drivetrain. I do rev match downshifts when I'm slowing down to take a turn briskly though, not coming to a completely stop. Or if I just want to make some noise and hear some pops and burbles as I'm stopping.

2011 Kona Blue Mustang GT Premium Coupe - 401A, 6MT, Brembo, Comfort, Security, HIDs, Rear Camera
Steeda CAI, Magnaflow X-Pipe, Bama tune, Flowmaster Hushpower Axle-Backs, Ford Racing 4.10s, Barton Shifter & Bracket, JLT Oil Separator, BMR LCAs & Relocation Brackets, Steeda Adjustable UCA
13.31 @ 109.6 at 7,383' DA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page