Steering wheel vibration, enough to concern.. - Page 10 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryC View Post
If you still have the stock wheels and tires put them on the back and see if that helps.

I have a theory that on my car the shake in the seat is not from out of round or out of balance, but just from the extra weight of the wheels and tires. It's just a little more than the shocks can handle.

The car is glass smooth at the strip at 127mph, where the surface is smooth, but on the road at anything over 45 or so you can feel the shake at times and other times not so much.
Jerry, I don't have the stock wheels/tires anymore. Dealer gave me a credit for the aftermarket wheels but they got to keep the OEM wheels/tires. Thanks for your input. Mine is worse sometimes more than other too. Next time you are cruising w/ no passenger at 70mph or so, look over at your passenger seat and see if it's shaking back and forth about 1/4-1/2 inch...that's what mine does and you can feel it a little in the drivers seat but obviously I'm sitting in that.

2012 black on black GT Premium Auto 6R80 - 400A
20 x 8.5" AR Torq Thrust M - BMR springs & Koni str.t shocks - GT500 mounts - J&M LCAs - CHE reloc brackets - J&M panhard - General GMAX AS3 - GT500 axel backs (no resonators) - GT500 spoiler - MMD tail light trim - Roush side splitters - AM upper/lower billet grill - Bama 93v2R tune - Airade CAI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by choate View Post
Jerry, I don't have the stock wheels/tires anymore. Dealer gave me a credit for the aftermarket wheels but they got to keep the OEM wheels/tires. Thanks for your input. Mine is worse sometimes more than other too. Next time you are cruising w/ no passenger at 70mph or so, look over at your passenger seat and see if it's shaking back and forth about 1/4-1/2 inch...that's what mine does and you can feel it a little in the drivers seat but obviously I'm sitting in that.
Mine does exactly that, with the stock wheels and tires it barely moves, but it does move.

I really wonder if a stiffer rear shock would help.

2011 GT, VMP Roush TVS, 10.80 @ 127mph
DynoSpeedRacing, Memphis TN
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryC View Post
Mine does exactly that, with the stock wheels and tires it barely moves, but it does move.

I really wonder if a stiffer rear shock would help.
Not sure. Let me know if you ever get it figured out.

20 x 8.5" AR Torq Thrust M - BMR springs & Koni str.t shocks - GT500 mounts - J&M LCAs - CHE reloc brackets - J&M panhard - General GMAX AS3 - GT500 axel backs (no resonators) - GT500 spoiler - MMD tail light trim - Roush side splitters - AM upper/lower billet grill - Bama 93v2R tune - Airade CAI

FordService

Quote:
Hello everyone, I have a vibration in my seats that moved there from the steering wheel after my first tire rotation and balance on a Road Force balancer.
I am going to document this w/ my dealer as I thought for SURE the bad tire and rotation/balance would take care of it but it has not. I don't expect an immediate fix, but I would like them to know just so maybe eventually Ford can give us a fix.

Build date 2/11, shake in seats w/ advanced trac on or off, 9k miles on car.
Hey choate,

Please make another appointment and PM me with your dealers, VINs, mileage, and contact info so I can escalate this for you.

Deysha
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustSrvc View Post
Hey choate,

Please make another appointment and PM me with your dealers, VINs, mileage, and contact info so I can escalate this for you.

Deysha
Hi Deysha,

Thanks for asking about this and trying to take care of me. I actually looked at my wheels this morning and one has a TON of weights on it (26 to be exact). I don't think that one is balanced correctly and it's now on the back which could def cause the seats to shake. The other wheels only have 3-6 weights on them but one has 26.

I'm going in the morning to have them look at my balance again and make sure it's done correctly.

At this point, I don't think the car is the issue w/ the shaking but I'll let you all know tomorrow if it corrects my problem.

FordService

Quote:
Hi Deysha,
Thanks for asking about this and trying to take care of me. I actually looked at my wheels this morning and one has a TON of weights on it (26 to be exact). I don't think that one is balanced correctly and it's now on the back which could def cause the seats to shake. The other wheels only have 3-6 weights on them but one has 26.

I'm going in the morning to have them look at my balance again and make sure it's done correctly.

At this point, I don't think the car is the issue w/ the shaking but I'll let you all know tomorrow if it corrects my problem.
Ok, choate. Thanks for the update. Keep me posted.

Deysha
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustSrvc View Post
Ok, choate. Thanks for the update. Keep me posted.

Deysha
The constant shaking has all but gone away. They had to re-balance the back wheel. Must have had a new guy do it the first time or something.

Also, I've noticed now that I've been paying more attention to my seats to see if they're shaking that my after market wheels/tire combo absorb a lot of road bumps and it sends vibrations up the seats. If the road is perfectly smooth, the seats don't really shake or move that much (albeit they still do some) but if you are on a road that's even slightly imperfect, the car seats seems to be vibrating but a lot of it is due to the thin tires 255/35/20's absorbing road imperfections IMO. Just my $0.02. Thanks again Deysha.

FordService

Quote:
The constant shaking has all but gone away. They had to re-balance the back wheel. Must have had a new guy do it the first time or something.
Also, I've noticed now that I've been paying more attention to my seats to see if they're shaking that my after market wheels/tire combo absorb a lot of road bumps and it sends vibrations up the seats. If the road is perfectly smooth, the seats don't really shake or move that much (albeit they still do some) but if you are on a road that's even slightly imperfect, the car seats seems to be vibrating but a lot of it is due to the thin tires 255/35/20's absorbing road imperfections IMO. Just my $0.02. Thanks again Deysha.
No problem, choate. Aftermarket wheels do have their PROs and CONs. Let me know if want me to escalate this for you.

Deysha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page