Steering wheel vibration, enough to concern.. - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 143 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member
 
BK2BLKGT's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Pearl City
Posts: 453
 
Send a message via AIM to BK2BLKGT Send a message via Yahoo to BK2BLKGT
Quote:
Originally Posted by adspru View Post
OP, can you confirm the vibration is there when the tires are cold(fire it up in the morning and and get it up to speed really quickly)? And can I assume you are running the stock rims and tires from a GT/CS?

Shotzy may be on to something here with EPAS as well. I had some severe steering wheel vibration on heavy braking. Funny thing was that the wheels/tires themselves weren't shaking, just the steering wheel to the point where it was about ripped out of my hands. The issue has resolved itself over time, but try to get the service tech to go for a ride with you to explain that one, almost like telling them at 140 my hood shakes, let's go for a ride to duplicate it! If the tuners can adjust steering assist, that would be awesome. The may even be able to turn off the auto correction feature of EPAS.
Yes its there at 5 am when i head to work after sitting in the garage all night, sometimes it even happens around 45-55 right outside my apt complex on the way to the interstate. This is smooth flat road also until i hit the interstate. That would be nice if EPAS were the culprit. I was thinking about the traction control too, i always drive with it completely off unless its raining.


Barton w/Bracket-Koni Sports w/Steeda Sport springs - Steeda HD mounts - BMR adj PH bar-Whiteline adj LCA's w/brackets - Whiteline front/rear adj sway bars - DSS Carbon driveshaft - Whipple 2.9L w/ JLT Super Big air - JBA Ceramic long tubes w/ O/R x pipe-Magnaflow Competition Catback - RTR's with Conti Extreme Contact DW's 275/40 19 front & Nitto 305 rear - Lund Tuned
BK2BLKGT is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of 143 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member
 
BK2BLKGT's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Pearl City
Posts: 453
 
Send a message via AIM to BK2BLKGT Send a message via Yahoo to BK2BLKGT
Did some spirited driving on the road outside my complex along with the interstate (mindful of the traffic) and with traction control enabled i noticed little to no oscillation in the steering wheel. Still felt a little vibration though but the wheel was not shaking. Now when i turned around to come back home i fully disabled traction and right away noticed my oscillation..hmm


Barton w/Bracket-Koni Sports w/Steeda Sport springs - Steeda HD mounts - BMR adj PH bar-Whiteline adj LCA's w/brackets - Whiteline front/rear adj sway bars - DSS Carbon driveshaft - Whipple 2.9L w/ JLT Super Big air - JBA Ceramic long tubes w/ O/R x pipe-Magnaflow Competition Catback - RTR's with Conti Extreme Contact DW's 275/40 19 front & Nitto 305 rear - Lund Tuned
BK2BLKGT is offline  
post #18 of 143 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member
 
BK2BLKGT's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Pearl City
Posts: 453
 
Send a message via AIM to BK2BLKGT Send a message via Yahoo to BK2BLKGT
So i took my car to ford this afternoon for an appointment i had for this issue. While on the way there, traction control disabled..oscillation is there in the wheel noticeable as night and day. Took the service manager out for a drive, told him while AdvanceTrac is on, this issue is pretty much gone. He saw the oscillation and said "yeah that def is weird and doesn't make any sense as to why its not doing it while AdvanceTrac is on..

Told me i should come back on Monday when his so called "seasoned techs for alignments and electrical issues are there" so i now have an appointment bright and early 7am for this to be further looked at. I also had my car on a lift earlier for my shifter and spun the front tires listening and watching, looks smooth as butter..

I dont understand why this issue isnt present while AdvanceTrac is on as my understanding is the brakes are applied when wheels are not spinning in sync with each other or something like that.

Should i call ford directly about this and open a ticket or wait? just kinda expecting them not to find anything..Who knows.

Barton w/Bracket-Koni Sports w/Steeda Sport springs - Steeda HD mounts - BMR adj PH bar-Whiteline adj LCA's w/brackets - Whiteline front/rear adj sway bars - DSS Carbon driveshaft - Whipple 2.9L w/ JLT Super Big air - JBA Ceramic long tubes w/ O/R x pipe-Magnaflow Competition Catback - RTR's with Conti Extreme Contact DW's 275/40 19 front & Nitto 305 rear - Lund Tuned
BK2BLKGT is offline  
 
Apprentice
 
Shotzy's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Long Island
Posts: 161
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK2BLKGT View Post
So i took my car to ford this afternoon for an appointment i had for this issue. While on the way there, traction control disabled..oscillation is there in the wheel noticeable as night and day. Took the service manager out for a drive, told him while AdvanceTrac is on, this issue is pretty much gone. He saw the oscillation and said "yeah that def is weird and doesn't make any sense as to why its not doing it while AdvanceTrac is on..

Told me i should come back on Monday when his so called "seasoned techs for alignments and electrical issues are there" so i now have an appointment bright and early 7am for this to be further looked at. I also had my car on a lift earlier for my shifter and spun the front tires listening and watching, looks smooth as butter..

I dont understand why this issue isnt present while AdvanceTrac is on as my understanding is the brakes are applied when wheels are not spinning in sync with each other or something like that.

Should i call ford directly about this and open a ticket or wait? just kinda expecting them not to find anything..Who knows.

Please let us know what they find out. Mine is still there with advancetrack on but not as noticeable. I have never been able to drive in sports mode in my car. Hopefully they will find something.
Shotzy is offline  
post #20 of 143 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member
 
BK2BLKGT's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Pearl City
Posts: 453
 
Send a message via AIM to BK2BLKGT Send a message via Yahoo to BK2BLKGT
yah def, my appt got moved to tomorrow. Will post what they find.

Barton w/Bracket-Koni Sports w/Steeda Sport springs - Steeda HD mounts - BMR adj PH bar-Whiteline adj LCA's w/brackets - Whiteline front/rear adj sway bars - DSS Carbon driveshaft - Whipple 2.9L w/ JLT Super Big air - JBA Ceramic long tubes w/ O/R x pipe-Magnaflow Competition Catback - RTR's with Conti Extreme Contact DW's 275/40 19 front & Nitto 305 rear - Lund Tuned
BK2BLKGT is offline  
Apprentice
S197 Member
 
argetni's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: The Burbs
Posts: 154
 
Welcome to the shimmy club.

I have had 6 balance jobs at 5 different places. I have bought new (used) wheels and tires that had no vibration on the 2010 GT they came from.

I have had a axle replaced. I have had all the brake rotors checked for true. I have had the driveshaft checked. I have had alignments done.

Still a shimmy. In 5 more months the issue will be resolved as I will be break even on the loan at that point and the car will be traded in. 18 months of grief - 10k+ wasted, expensive lesson learned.
argetni is offline  
post #22 of 143 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member
 
BK2BLKGT's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Pearl City
Posts: 453
 
Send a message via AIM to BK2BLKGT Send a message via Yahoo to BK2BLKGT
Update:

Spent 8 hours today at the dealership, ugh.

First the technician told me he updated 3 modules to the latest revision (Body control module, Power steering control module, and the ECM or main computer module or whatever) and first test drive showed no new results.

Second up was taking a test drive in an identical California special and sure enough it was smooth as butter. So the tech takes the wheels off it and puts em on mine. Still no new results.

Third, he swapped front brake rotors with the other CS and still no new results after the 3rd drive. I drove on roads and the interstate for comparison.

So now the tech thinks my EPAS (electronic power assist steering) needs to be replaced but he has to get a hold of Ford for approval since its about 2k+ repair and im waiting for a phone call.. couldn't wait at the dealership any more.

Looks like this is pretty much going nowhere but the tech sure noticed my shimmy in the wheel on the interstate and it seems to oscillate more when i change lanes and bring the wheel right or left while accelerating.

Im really hoping the EPAS is the problem, i dont know where to go from there other than contacting ford directly and escalating it.

Barton w/Bracket-Koni Sports w/Steeda Sport springs - Steeda HD mounts - BMR adj PH bar-Whiteline adj LCA's w/brackets - Whiteline front/rear adj sway bars - DSS Carbon driveshaft - Whipple 2.9L w/ JLT Super Big air - JBA Ceramic long tubes w/ O/R x pipe-Magnaflow Competition Catback - RTR's with Conti Extreme Contact DW's 275/40 19 front & Nitto 305 rear - Lund Tuned
BK2BLKGT is offline  
Apprentice
S197 Member
 
argetni's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: The Burbs
Posts: 154
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK2BLKGT View Post
Update:

Spent 8 hours today at the dealership, ugh.

First the technician told me he updated 3 modules to the latest revision (Body control module, Power steering control module, and the ECM or main computer module or whatever) and first test drive showed no new results.

Second up was taking a test drive in an identical California special and sure enough it was smooth as butter. So the tech takes the wheels off it and puts em on mine. Still no new results.

Third, he swapped front brake rotors with the other CS and still no new results after the 3rd drive. I drove on roads and the interstate for comparison.

So now the tech thinks my EPAS (electronic power assist steering) needs to be replaced but he has to get a hold of Ford for approval since its about 2k+ repair and

im waiting for a phone call.. couldn't wait at the dealership any more.

Looks like this is pretty much going nowhere but the tech sure noticed my shimmy in the wheel on the interstate and it seems to oscillate more when i change lanes and bring the wheel right or left while accelerating.

Im really hoping the EPAS is the problem, i dont know where to go from there other than contacting ford directly and escalating it.

My vibration is the same as yours worse after changing lanes or accelerating. I have always thought the EPAS was to blame.

Good luck with it. The district rep already deemed mine normal as another 2011 GT on the lot had the same shimmy too. Ford will no longer warranty the issue for me so I have no choice but to trade it in, live with it, or throw more money at it and hope for a fix.
argetni is offline  
post #24 of 143 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member
 
BK2BLKGT's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Pearl City
Posts: 453
 
Send a message via AIM to BK2BLKGT Send a message via Yahoo to BK2BLKGT
yah thats lame how ford sees this problem in another car on the lot and denies warranty service or it even if it takes forever to find the fix. wtf..

Did they replace your EPAS or get to that idea and call it quits?

Barton w/Bracket-Koni Sports w/Steeda Sport springs - Steeda HD mounts - BMR adj PH bar-Whiteline adj LCA's w/brackets - Whiteline front/rear adj sway bars - DSS Carbon driveshaft - Whipple 2.9L w/ JLT Super Big air - JBA Ceramic long tubes w/ O/R x pipe-Magnaflow Competition Catback - RTR's with Conti Extreme Contact DW's 275/40 19 front & Nitto 305 rear - Lund Tuned
BK2BLKGT is offline  
Apprentice
S197 Member
 
argetni's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: The Burbs
Posts: 154
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK2BLKGT View Post
yah thats lame how ford sees this problem in another car on the lot and denies warranty service or it even if it takes forever to find the fix. wtf..

Did they replace your EPAS or get to that idea and call it quits?

The district rep deemed the side to side ossicilation of the steering wheel normal as the other car did it too. Now no dealer in the country will even look at any vibration related issue with my car unless I pay out of pocket.

Very disapointed in this car and Ford. I attempted to trade it in yesterday on a Honda but even with the 2k I had put down on the GT plus 1yr of payments I am still upside down $2500 on it. They will only give me 26k for it - 3 different dealers all said 26k.

I may just eat the $2500 and move on with my life, its sucks though because besides this shimmy I love this car.
argetni is offline  
Apprentice
 
Shotzy's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Long Island
Posts: 161
 
Looks like you have a good dealer.

Let us know if they find it to be the EPAS as I suspect they will. If they replace yours that may set some precedent for the rest of us to get this fixed.
Shotzy is offline  
Apprentice
S197 Member
 
argetni's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: The Burbs
Posts: 154
 
As for the EPAS -

The district rep was not even aware the car had EPAS or what active nibble control was. He did not even now how to put the car in SPORT mode until I showed him.

FYI SPORT mode disbales the active nibble control and makes the shimmy MUCH worse.

One thing I would like to try but I am not sure how to do would be to disbale the EPAS and see if the shimmy is still there. I am not sure if there is a fuse for it or not that I can pull.

There was a TSB out for the 2011 Shelby GT500 for an EPAS issue that caused a shimmy but not for the GTs. When I spoke to Ralph Arning who is the plant manager at AAI he said the issue did not affect regular GTs.
argetni is offline  
Apprentice
S197 Member
 
argetni's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: The Burbs
Posts: 154
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotzy View Post
Looks like you have a good dealer.

Let us know if they find it to be the EPAS as I suspect they will. If they replace yours that may set some precedent for the rest of us to get this fixed.
Yeah no kidding his dealer is incredible. I don't know how you stand driving your car on the highway everyday. I only do 5 miles a day on the highway and I hate it. Back roads I can still feel it but it is tolerable. At least my trans is good LOL (a6)
argetni is offline  
Apprentice
 
Shotzy's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Long Island
Posts: 161
 
Actually the shimmy had started to work itself out. The car drove much better during the winter. But 2 things have happened since then. My engine blew up and has been replaced and when they do that they have to reset the entire computer back to factory settings. And also the really warm weather came back. Unfortunately they both happened at the same time. So I dont know which one is the cause or if it is a combination of the 2.
Shotzy is offline  
Apprentice
S197 Member
 
argetni's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: The Burbs
Posts: 154
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotzy View Post
Actually the shimmy had started to work itself out. The car drove much better during the winter. But 2 things have happened since then. My engine blew up and has been replaced and when they do that they have to reset the entire computer back to factory settings. And also the really warm weather came back. Unfortunately they both happened at the same time. So I dont know which one is the cause or if it is a combination of the 2.
I removed my FRPP tune for the BAMA tune but I have been stock for the last 1000 miles or so since the #8 issue came around. Like you I thought the tune helped with the shimmy but I think it was just a placebo effect.

After the axle replacement and on the stock tune it was smooth for a short while too up to 125 but now at 60 the shimmy is there again.

The warm weather made a big difference for sure! Which is odd if it is EPAS related.

argetni is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
 


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1