2011 GT Oil Change Woes - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

Unhappy 2011 GT Oil Change Woes

I feel like a bit of a fool, but hopefully someone on this forum can help me out. I brought my 2011 GT 'vert in for its first oil change and tire rotation at the dealer at around 8,000 miles (they had a coupon and I wanted all maintenance to be documented in case of any engine tick/transmission problems). They returned it to me after about an hour and a half, and I drove home, only to notice that the tires hadn't been rotated (there is an obvious scratch on one of the wheels that had not moved position), and I brought it back immediately, demanding the rotation and asking if they really even changed the oil. They rotated my tire and insisted the oil had been changed, I was a bit suspicious because the dipstick was still a bit dirty but I gave them the benefit of the doubt.

Fast forward about 3,000 miles and my oil life indicator is now at 0, so I decide to change the oil myself and do it right with Mobil 1 and a Royal Purple filter. There is no evidence of a previous oil change and the oil pan drain is extremely hard to remove. I'm no weakling (6'2" 200 lbs), and it took both hands and bracing myself against the curb to get enough torque on the wrench.

I saved the oil just in case there is a way to tell from how degraded it is if it had ever been changed, and was wondering if there is some sort of damage that might have happened to my car as a result of the oil staying in my new car for almost 12,000 miles.

I'm not an experienced gear-head by any means, but I have been saving my extra flight pay (Naval Aviator) for a few years to get this car, and really want to protect my investment. Any advice from the forum members would be a huge help. Thanks.

2011 GT Premium Convertible
Grabber Blue/Charcoal Black
MT/Brembo Package
GO NAVY!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011
GT Member

we can tell you that everything is okay but the fact of the matter is that we don't know. if the engine is running well and there is no recent noticeable abnormality then i would say you are just peachy keen. the only way of truly knowing would be to tear apart your engine and inspect each component and look for premature wear or damage.

no driveability symptoms/sounds? i'd say you are fine.

anyway yeah, most ford dealers suck. it is insanely hard to find a good one that has competent employees and technicians. i drive 20 miles farther than i need to in order to go to a ford dealership in a more affluent area that obviously pays more since the porters driving the cars are not minimum wage workers that don't know how to drive a stick shift and grind the gears trying to figure out how to get it into reverse (yes this has happened)

i was lucky enough to find a dealership that lets me watch the work being done to my car and actually talk to the technician doing the service so i can ensure that everything is being done correctly. most of the dealers will chase you away from watching your car get worked on for insurance purposes. i have caught too many mistakes to trust someone to do the work on my car while i go off and run my errands like most people.

i also bring (8) 1 quart oil jugs and visually watch the technician pour in all 8 so there is no question that the right amount of the right oil got put in. it also helps to talk to the techs so you can find a good one and then request that person in the future to do all your work. if the tech knows you personally and he is a cool guy, chances are he will treat your car better with the extra level of detail since they know you are very OCD about things more so than most people.

dont drive your car away from the dealer until you pop the hood and make sure you have the right amount of oil/fluid. make sure there was nothing that got unclamped that might need to be bolted back up (this happened to me). make sure that there is nothing spilled in the engine bay.

some people avoid dealerships at all costs for these reasons but others realize that they have warranties and ESP that are a waste of money if they don't go to the dealership. also, it will help keep the value of the car if all maintenance was done and documented at a ford dealership. a customer would rather see all service done at a dealer vs Big Earl's Tire and Lube shop, you know?

trust no one. just because they are a ford dealer does not mean they know what they are doing. many, many of them are confused on how much oil these engines take. some say 6, some say 7. they will even argue with you after you tell them it explicitly states 8 in the owner's manual. just watch them like a hawk and if they ***** at you for wanting to know exactly what is being done to your car and who is doing it, just tell them you will take your business to another dealer or explain to them the issue that happened last time you left your car and trusted that everything would get done properly.

2011 Mustang GT 5.0 Coupe/Brembos/3.73

"I'm also 6'5" and 270 lbs. and could crush a person's bones with my bare hands"
-Jozsefsz

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011
Banned
4.6L Member

stay away from that dealership...better yet, yeah do it yourself...I stand outside my car to make sure real synthetic oil goes in my car when I get a change...damn right you better show me the bottles

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks cababah, thats really helpful. I really appreciate your advice and will certainly take it in the future. Why I really enjoy this forum.

2011 GT Premium Convertible
Grabber Blue/Charcoal Black
MT/Brembo Package
GO NAVY!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011
PONY Member

The filter would have been a good clue. The factory filter looks different from anything the dealer would have put on it. Snap a picture of what you took off and post up. I think it just says "ford" on it or something, I"d have to look at mine.

-FISHTAIL
92GT Custom Built 331 Stroker. -- Waiting on some finishing touches.
2011 5.0 GT Coupe
03 Cobra Vert: 12.67 @ 121.66mph (SOLD)
03 Cobra Coupe....Heavily Modded Money Pit (SOLD)
Proud Member of the Mid-Atlantic Cobra Association
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011
GT Member

I agree. Stay away from that dealer. If you can't trust a dealer with a tire rotation and an oil change then there is something wrong. I also had a dealer stiff me on a tire rotation so I know how you feel. I don't go back their anymore. The dealer I purchased my 2011 at is much better to deal with. Nice people.

2014 Mustang GT/CS - Coupe
Sterling Gray
Manual Trans
Glass Roof
Navigation
Comfort
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page