American Thunder Exhaust - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

American Thunder Exhaust

Has anyone gotten the American Thunder catback + x-pipe system? It's found here:
2011 Mustang GT American Thunder 3" Aggressive Cat Back Exhaust + X Pipe System

I wanted to hear what this system sounds like and if it's really worth any horsepower. It sure is cheap considering the x-pipe and catback system together. What do you all think? If anyone has this system, can they produce a sound file and reply? I wanted to hear what this sounds like.

My other option was the Magnaflow cat back and bassani x-pipe, but that together is over a grand.

2013 Mustang GT Premium
Build Date: 01/14/2013
  • Ford Performance 3.73 Gears
  • MGW Race Spec Shifter
  • Flowmaster Outlaw Catbacks
  • American Racing Long Tube Headers / off road x-pipe
  • Ford Performance Cobra Jet Intake Manifold
  • Ford Performance 65mm Cobra Jet Twin Blade T/B
  • Ford Performance Cobra Jet CAI
  • SCT Tune
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1cor29 View Post
Has anyone gotten the American Thunder catback + x-pipe system? It's found here:
2011 Mustang GT American Thunder 3" Aggressive Cat Back Exhaust + X Pipe System

I wanted to hear what this system sounds like and if it's really worth any horsepower. It sure is cheap considering the x-pipe and catback system together. What do you all think? If anyone has this system, can they produce a sound file and reply? I wanted to hear what this sounds like.

My other option was the Magnaflow cat back and bassani x-pipe, but that together is over a grand.
heard flow's in person-they sounded like pure garbage compared to my ford racing/borla-s. magnaflow sounds good but they drone. don't cheap out on an exhaust, it is better to pay more for the one that gives you the perfect sound you want with minimal drone.

i would recommend bassani, roush, and borla-s/ford racing sport over magnaflow and flowmaster. they are also all constructed much better than the aforementioned.

2011 Mustang GT 5.0 Coupe/Brembos/3.73

"I'm also 6'5" and 270 lbs. and could crush a person's bones with my bare hands"
-Jozsefsz

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011
PONY Member

I don't have a video and I only had the axlebacks but the Flowmaster AT's drone like crazy. It was so bad on the interstate that I couldn't hear people in the back seat with the radio off without them practically yelling. If you get the whole catback system then I could only imagine how bad the drone will be without the resonators. They also sound like you're shaking a can of spray paint when you get the revs up, it was kinda embarassing. I only had them on for about 200 miles and switched to Borla ATAK's and couldn't be happier, absolutely no drone whatsoever at any rpm. If you wanna spend as least money as you can then I'd get the Roush or GT500's.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdog1157 View Post
They also sound like you're shaking a can of spray paint when you get the revs up, it was kinda embarrassing.
yeah, that is EXACTLY what i noticed about the flowmasters and even the GT500's to an extent. upping the revs for comparison is really what sets these exhausts systems apart. they all sound good up until 3k rpms and then you are left with a feeling of embarrassment or pure melody depending on the system you have.

these engines sing a very different song when the rpms climb so choose your system wisely. dont want it sounding like a raspy tin can with bees in it while you are going WOT!

2011 Mustang GT 5.0 Coupe/Brembos/3.73

"I'm also 6'5" and 270 lbs. and could crush a person's bones with my bare hands"
-Jozsefsz

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

So Magnaflow's aren't as bad then? I looked at the bassani catbacks and they're over a grand. I was considering Magnaflow competition shown here:
Magnaflow Competition Mustang Catback Exhaust (2011-2012 GT) at AmericanMuscle - Free Shipping!

Do these drone just as bad as the flowmasters?

2013 Mustang GT Premium
Build Date: 01/14/2013
  • Ford Performance 3.73 Gears
  • MGW Race Spec Shifter
  • Flowmaster Outlaw Catbacks
  • American Racing Long Tube Headers / off road x-pipe
  • Ford Performance Cobra Jet Intake Manifold
  • Ford Performance 65mm Cobra Jet Twin Blade T/B
  • Ford Performance Cobra Jet CAI
  • SCT Tune
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1cor29 View Post
So Magnaflow's aren't as bad then? I looked at the bassani catbacks and they're over a grand. I was considering Magnaflow competition shown here:
Magnaflow Competition Mustang Catback Exhaust (2011-2012 GT) at AmericanMuscle - Free Shipping!

Do these drone just as bad as the flowmasters?
I haven't heard them on a 2011/12 GT but my buddy has a 2010 GT with what he said was Magnaflow Competition and it does drone. Maybe they're different on a new 5.0 though. Spend a little more and get the Borla catbacks and you will not be disappointed. If you want a deeper tone then get the S-type, and the ATAK if you want it throatier with a little gurgling and popping on decel. Not only do they sound amazing but Borla has about the best customer service I've ever seen.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011
Apprentice

Hold on...... My AT with 3'' Heartthrob system sound awesome! I have yet to hear a 2011 sound better and I go to local car shows every weekend. It sound super clean with zero rasp just a nice deep tone but when you get on it ,it is a whole other beast..... let me see what type of sound bite i can get today and I will post it.

And yes there is a bit of drone between 1900-2100 rmp but my rpms rarely linger there, they are ususally just above or below.

Im not sure about the complete catback from flowmaster however I am confident with all the complements I get from other car enthusiast you will not be disappointed (even with just the axelbacks)

Sterling Grey Metallic 2011 Mustang GT Premium, Brembo pkg, 3.73 Gears, Borla S-Type Catback, CS Front Conversion, Steeda Sport Springs and Koni STR.T Shocks, BMR LCA's, BMR on Car Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR Lateral Stiffener
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011
Site Sponsor

I'm a Magnaflow guy for quality fitment and construction, the sound is just a bonus. I would personally put on a Magnaflow system, but I have heard great sound clips from both Borla and Heartthrob.

The T304 Stainless Steel from a Magnaflow or Borla is what sets the price apart from a mild-steel or aluminized-steel system. The Magnaflow comes with a lifetime warranty!

Chris

Chris Rose | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266 | M-F 9AM-9PM EST | Sat 10AM-4PM EST
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST | Sat 10AM-4PM EST
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Need help? PM AMAlexLazarus for immediate assistance!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I've searched and searched, without coming up with a clear winner that sounds great to me. I've heard a few different options in person and they all sounded terrible to me, ruling out a bunch of favorites on this site. I'm going with my gut and combining two that I think will sound fantastic together. Heartthrob s/s cat to axle with no resonators and h-pipe, plus magnaflow street series axleback.

2012 blk/blk gt premium, 400a, brembos, comfort, reverse/security, 3.73's...

Ordered 4/16, vin 6/2, window sticker 6/9, build date 6/16, ETA 6/27, arrived 6/25, picked up 6/29...

mods: magnaflow streets, frpp power pack, mgw shifter, dss driveshaft, s/s clutch/brake lines, steeda rear suspension.
Apprentice

Here is a video I just made because im bored. I do a 0-80 pull around 1:15 into the video. This is the first time I've recorded what my car sounds like and I now know what everyone means when they say video does it no justice!

I had my phone in my truck so you here the Styrofoam from the spare kit making noise but you get the idea!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vk-P4...ature=youtu.be

Sterling Grey Metallic 2011 Mustang GT Premium, Brembo pkg, 3.73 Gears, Borla S-Type Catback, CS Front Conversion, Steeda Sport Springs and Koni STR.T Shocks, BMR LCA's, BMR on Car Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR Lateral Stiffener
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzan View Post
Hold on...... My AT with 3'' Heartthrob system sound awesome! I have yet to hear a 2011 sound better and I go to local car shows every weekend. It sound super clean with zero rasp just a nice deep tone but when you get on it ,it is a whole other beast..... let me see what type of sound bite i can get today and I will post it.

And yes there is a bit of drone between 1900-2100 rmp but my rpms rarely linger there, they are ususally just above or below.

Im not sure about the complete catback from flowmaster however I am confident with all the complements I get from other car enthusiast you will not be disappointed (even with just the axelbacks)
What Car shows do you go to?
Maybe run in to you there sometime, I have the American Thunder axle backs.
Sounds like good old American Muscle instead of the raspy poppy sound from some of the others.
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert50Rat View Post
What Car shows do you go to?
Maybe run in to you there sometime, I have the American Thunder axle backs.
Sounds like good old American Muscle instead of the raspy poppy sound from some of the others.
Usually Scottsdale pavilions on Saturday nights...... I usually go every other weekend.

PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Where did you get your heartthrob system from?

2012 blk/blk gt premium, 400a, brembos, comfort, reverse/security, 3.73's...

Ordered 4/16, vin 6/2, window sticker 6/9, build date 6/16, ETA 6/27, arrived 6/25, picked up 6/29...

mods: magnaflow streets, frpp power pack, mgw shifter, dss driveshaft, s/s clutch/brake lines, steeda rear suspension.
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Dragon View Post
Where did you get your heartthrob system from?
Auto Accessories & Aftermarket Parts at AutoAnything | Truck Accessories & Car Accessories | Floor Mats, Tonneau Covers & Car Covers

They have good prices on mustang exhaust systems.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page