FR3 Adjustable Handling Pack Installed - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

FR3 Adjustable Handling Pack Installed

The Ford Racing adjustable handling pack has been backordered for months, but mine finally came last week. It comes on a pallet and must be shipped freight. I originally ordered it hoping it would come in before my trip to the Tail of the Dragon last month. That was not the case. The car was good on the lower speed Dragon stock. On the faster Hell Bender stretch of road, the car did not feel as planted and I was not as confident pushing it into a corner.

Stock pic onthe dragon...

The kit comes with everything you need to install it. The kit uses 5300-P spring so the drop is only .5-1.0". I did not want anything more than 1" so it was perfect for me. This also means the pinion angle change is very small and the rear axle side shift is also minimal.

After unpacking everything I went to work installing it. Only the sway bars have actual instructions. This was disappointing. I know how to install everything, but a torque sheet would have helped. I had to search around on here for the proper fastener torque.

The dampers appear to be Tokico D's that are valved to Multmatic's specs. The swaybars appear to be made by Eibach. I've heard the springs are also Eibach, but can't confirm.

The rear end is pretty straight forward. The top nut on the rear shock is kinda a PITA. I had to hold the top with a pair of pliers as hard as I could and was just able to break the nut loose. I could not find my pair of vise grips which would have been easier. I measured my pinion angle before starting to see how much it moved.

The front is also pretty straight forward. I had the most trouble with the front sway bar. Everything I found online says it just drops out, but there is a a cross member that keeps it from coming straight down. After looking at it for a few minutes I was able to snake it through the passenger side wheel well.

Total installation time was about 6 hours with a lot of breaks and taking my time. I still have to get an alignment this week. The toe did not seem to move, but my camber is at -2.5*. I'll have to get some camber bolts.

I took at road trip up to pilot mountain and had some time to play on some twisty roads. The handling is much better. The car is way flatter through the corner and the brake dive is gone. The brake dive was probably my biggest complaint of the stock suspension. I have the dampers set on the 3 setting(1-6 with 1 being the firmest). The ride is still reasonable. No additional road noise, but rough roads are a little harsher. Before I felt the suspension was the weak link in how the car was handling, but now it's obvious it's the tires.

Next will be the SVT PP wheels and then SSBC brakes. I'm hoping to be a lot faster when I go back to the Dragon next year.

2011 Kona Blue GT, P1SC, Roush AB, JHR Short Throw, FRP Adjustable Handling pack, 19 x 9.5 AMR wheels with 275s, FR Brembos, Exedy 500 clutch and flywheel. 585 whp at 7 PSI.
theautoblogger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011
Rookie

Nice, thanks for posting.

I take it you don't see any need for an adjustable panhard bar or Watts linkage?

My set is sitting in the garage along with new wheels and tires, hopefully will go on sometime this month.

"Cheetah in a Hamster cage."
(mods in profile)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

The shift is < .5" I can't tell from looking at it that it's off.

A watts linkage is a better system though.

2011 Kona Blue GT, P1SC, Roush AB, JHR Short Throw, FRP Adjustable Handling pack, 19 x 9.5 AMR wheels with 275s, FR Brembos, Exedy 500 clutch and flywheel. 585 whp at 7 PSI.
theautoblogger

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011
Apprentice

They actually included thicker sway bars? WOW! I measured mine while it was up on a lift a couple weeks ago, and IIRC, the front was 25mm and the rear was 35mm. What size(s) did they give you in the kit?

'12 Boss-Competition Orange
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011
Rookie

As Yeahdoug said, there isn't much documentation in the kit. Any chance you could post the torque values you dug up?

I don't have calipers here but the spec sheet I have for the GT lists the stock sway bars as 34.6 and 24.0, pretty close to what you measured.
The ad copy for the suspension packs says...
M-5490-A
Includes 35mm diameter front and 22mm diameter front sway bars.
Standard Equipment on the Shelby GT. The materials used &
the manufacturing process make these anti-roll bars stiffer than their stock counterparts. Plus
you get new urethane bushings to go with them!

The latest issue of 5.0 Mustang has a deep dive article on the boss 302. There is a table of sway bar diameters (mm):

Base GT 34/20
Brembo 35/22
Boss 35/25
Laguna 35/26

It looks like FR3 bar diameters match up with the Brembo sizes, so these sway bars may also be part of the suspension tuning for the Brembo package? The one option I regret not ordering.

The same article lists spring rates (lb/in)

Base GT: 123/156
Brembo: 131/166.7
Boss: 148/185
Laguna: 137/191

Hopefully I got conversions from N/mm right.
I think Vorshlag measured 126 lb/in on his 5.0 build so these would seem to be in the same ball park. The springs in the kit are M-5300-PF 325833. They are progressive but I couldn't find spring rates for them, pretty sure I've seen them somewhere though.

"Cheetah in a Hamster cage."
(mods in profile)
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011
GT Member

good writeup!

Nothing like a good looking kona blue!!!!

Bryce
---------
Track Rat #1 - VF supercharged e46 bimmer
Track Rat #2 - Kona 5.0 Premium | 3.73 MT82 | 400A | glass roof | saddle int. | Brembo Pkg | Com. & Sec. Pkg | camera | HID | Nav | no stripes | MM camberplates | Bilstein springs & Eibach dampers | Stock 368 RWHP @ 6700 / 354 TQ @ 4375 - Build Date 6-17-10
Sunny Day: Kawasaki 1600 with hypercharger and tune.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldemal View Post
As Yeahdoug said, there isn't much documentation in the kit. Any chance you could post the torque values you dug up?

I don't have calipers here but the spec sheet I have for the GT lists the stock sway bars as 34.6 and 24.0, pretty close to what you measured.
The ad copy for the suspension packs says...
M-5490-A
Includes 35mm diameter front and 22mm diameter front sway bars.
Standard Equipment on the Shelby GT. The materials used &
the manufacturing process make these anti-roll bars stiffer than their stock counterparts. Plus
you get new urethane bushings to go with them!

The latest issue of 5.0 Mustang has a deep dive article on the boss 302. There is a table of sway bar diameters (mm):

Base GT 34/20
Brembo 35/22
Boss 35/25
Laguna 35/26

It looks like FR3 bar diameters match up with the Brembo sizes, so these sway bars may also be part of the suspension tuning for the Brembo package? The one option I regret not ordering.

The same article lists spring rates (lb/in)

Base GT: 123/156
Brembo: 131/166.7
Boss: 148/185
Laguna: 137/191

Hopefully I got conversions from N/mm right.
I think Vorshlag measured 126 lb/in on his 5.0 build so these would seem to be in the same ball park. The springs in the kit are M-5300-PF 325833. They are progressive but I couldn't find spring rates for them, pretty sure I've seen them somewhere though.

Nonsense. There are eleventy threads claiming that the Brembo package is just brakes, so this must be a misprint.

LOL

2011 401a Brembo Electronics HID
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Bar Diameter (well for the front bar) isn't everything. For the front bar it depends on the wall thickness too. Also the length (Where the end link holes are located.)

I believe the bars are still considered an upgrade compared to the Brembo package. It's not all about stiffness, it's about the balance between the front bar and rear bar. There are many autoxers that will go to a smaller rear bar to get the balance they are looking for. The front bar is also adjustable. I'm guessing the FR3 bar sizes are picked to work best in conjunction with the dampers/springs. Someone else already mentioned the bushings are stiffer.

The rear sway bar end links are very nice pieces too.

theautoblogger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page