clutch life for a the MT-82 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

clutch life for a the MT-82

Can anybody give me a genral area of how long the clutch would last. of course some hard driving on the street mixed with just crusing, just a genralized estimate of how many miles it will go.

Just taking everything into account excluding multiple drag nights and multiple track courses.

Reason i ask is cause my clucth is gone, and have 12000 miles on the car. **** the perriles have more life on them...
i have one time at drag strips, 4 passes and the rest just street driving; with most of those miles to work and back about 60 miles to and from work. no burn outs or donuts...
what have the old trans 05-10's provided?

I know some people will say well it depends how much its abused. but even so with taking into account with what is stated above what do u think how many miles? more then 12000 miles?

Also i have a CAI and tune from bama.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I would hope the clutch would last longer than 12K. On different cars I've had a clutch go out as early as 30K and others last to 100K+.

2011 GT Coupe Premium | MT82 | 3.55's | 400A | Red Candy/Stone | Security Pkg | Built 7/21
Installed: SVT Axelbacks w/ res delete, FRPP tune, K&N drop-in, strut tower brace, JLT oil catch can, PIAA/LEDs, GT500 splashguards, 27% tint

Sold: Rebuilt 1994 Mustang | Motorsports 5.8L/351W | HD 5M | DF clutch | 9" rear end 3.73s | Cobra 'R' brakes | aluminum driveshaft | street legal in SC (barely)
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011
PONY Member

This is a loaded question with no good answer, you can't even be given a decent range. In all makes of all vehicles with all of the different driving styles, abusive or not, street or race, it is almost impossible to ballpark this in my opinion. You can have two identical vehicles, and just with different driving styles and driving patterns (downtown city and highway) you could see people get anywhere from 50 miles (less if you are real good!) to as high as over 100,000 miles. If you slip the clutch a lot the way you drive, you will get much less than someone who does not. Within reason, a clutch should be slipped as little as possible on take off to maximize life.

There are just too many factors. My clutches tend to last a very long time. I have a POS beater with 226,000 on the OE clutch. I've driven stick since I could drive, and replaced one clutch. And it was due to a grenaded throwout bearing, the disc was still ok! Could your clutch be wasted in 12K miles? Sure. Now whether it is abuse and/or defect will be pretty much impossible to prove without some serious inspection.

I have over 14K now without issues. I think the longer these are on the road, the better of a possible range we will have, but even with that it should be taken with a grain of salt. I know people who think they drive great, but are still never able to get 30K out of a clutch no matter what vehicle or clutch brand they use. I've also witnessed them take off, and it sounds likes someone driving a car with a 4000RPM stall converter. But that couldn't be it, it's defective if you ask them!

2011 GT 6MT (Cookie Monster) - The 1/4 life crisis. Brembos, 401A, drop top, Grabber Blue.

1974 Dodge Challenger - The money pit. 408 SB stroker, Megasquirt 2 EFI, 904TF, 3.91 gears. 16MPG and 520HP goodness

2004 Hyundai Tiburon - The winter beater.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011
Jozsefsz

What indicated that your clutch was gone? There are a couple of common problems with the MT-82's posted all around this forum (issues with the hydraulics and the pressure plate bolt problems). I'd hope that you don't have a dealer telling you that you'd worn out the clutch when it's one of the warranty issues. I would think 12K is exceptionally poor life even with some pretty good abuse (unless you ride the clutch constantly).
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

you guys are def right all three post so far....def good points.

trust me i take everything the dealer says with a gain of salt..now dont get me wrong i love the car its perfomrence is def top notch but the trans is not>

i took its to the dealership two months ago...telling them hey the shift engament on the car has changed i can depress the the clutch half way and it doesnt engage...u could feel no pressure until half way(dealer says its fine)...this last time i took it in...the engament got to about 3/4 of the way depressed before I would feel engament.

personally I think its BS. took the service writer for a drive and it was shuttering out of first.
the dealership is already in the process of fixing it saying pressure plate bolts have backed out and the clutch has hot spots in it,,,service writer says can be due to hard driving.. thats when i nicely laid into his ass a bit.
so bolts have backed out and its cause im driving hard?
I know i have read many of post on here about the problems with the trans
the thing i dont get is he tells me its warrented this time but the next time it happens u probably gonna have to fix it not warrented...then he goes on to tell me put an aftermarket clutch...well u spend 35k on a car and then 1200 miles u put an aftermarket clutch thats not warrented.(umm let me see No)

Its getting fixed for free this time but i just see this as problems im gonna have in the future....becasue i have a car like this, its my falut if something breaks.(driving to hard) really ford dont make a performence car and expect grandma to dive it.(and even then they will blame her for driving to hard).
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

so that being said how long has your clutch lasted on any other stang u had 05-10's or even the terminators...just want to get a general idea

Thanks guys for ur post
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011
PONY Member
5.0L Member

I've got about 15,000 miles on my car w/o any issues. With as normal as any Mustang enthusiast would drive a 400hp+ car, my clutch still appears to be doing fine.

In past Mustangs, this is the first brand Mustang I've owned for longer than 6-months, but in my other 9-Mustangs over the last 18-years, I've had to put clutches in about half of them, but not because of failure, but because I didn't like the way the clutch felt.

Also sorry to report that the other posters are correct about the clutch life. The clutch is a wear item, and while they shouldn't wear out in under 12,000 miles, it totally up to the driver to make the clutch last. You could get 1000-miles or over 100,000 miles. Think of it this way, if I were to gingerly drive up to 140mph each day, not stressing the car, and then slam on the brakes until I stopped, how long should I expect the brakes to last? Certainly not very long. Back to your clutch, as long as your being honest to us about your driving style, you should get over 50,000 miles on your clutch.

From my recollection, all the people on here that have had clutch failures so far were from the bolts loosening up, and the issue you've described, with the engagement getting worse, goes right along with the bolts loosening up. My suggestion, find a different Ford dealer in your area.

If my 2011 clutch fails, I'll provide all the details and pics to go with it, because I will probably replace the clutch myself, not Ford.

2015 Mustang GT PP 401A Black | Roush Supercharger
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011
Jozsefsz

^+1 on the find-a-different dealer. I would hope they'd stand behind their work and the revised pressure plate bolts would remedy the situation the 2nd time around. I think it's alarming that they'd blame a driver for a design flaw, making you feel grateful that they're willing to remedy it for you -- this time. You're right, this is a sports car and not a cheap one at that - - the drive train should have been made to handle it. I can understand this is a tricky one for Ford since the clutch is a wear item and they couldn't warranty everyone who abuses it at the track. But after some simple forensics which show the design flaw caused the premature wear, they should leave it at that and be apologetic to their customer. I'd consider a complaint with the NHTSA to boot - - we Windstar owners (yeah i know...) have had to go down that road a couple of times now.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011
PONY Member

Yeah, the loose bolts are a game changer. Abuse or not, there is no way you could have caused or prevented that. I can't believe the Service Manager could be dumb enough to even suggest that is your fault. If you had just smoked the clutch disc, I'd be suspicious. It also sounds like they misdiagnosed it early on, when the clutch may have been salvageable.

Loose and broken bolts are a defect and nothing else. And if they come loose, clutch engagement goes out the window and the disc can very easily get toasted because it may never fully disengage along with the clamping load being too low, promoting further slipping. It becomes a vicious circle. A constantly slipping clutch will fail incredibly fast.

2011 GT 6MT (Cookie Monster) - The 1/4 life crisis. Brembos, 401A, drop top, Grabber Blue.

1974 Dodge Challenger - The money pit. 408 SB stroker, Megasquirt 2 EFI, 904TF, 3.91 gears. 16MPG and 520HP goodness

2004 Hyundai Tiburon - The winter beater.
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trey799 View Post
you guys are def right all three post so far....def good points.

trust me i take everything the dealer says with a gain of salt..now dont get me wrong i love the car its perfomrence is def top notch but the trans is not>

i took its to the dealership two months ago...telling them hey the shift engament on the car has changed i can depress the the clutch half way and it doesnt engage...u could feel no pressure until half way(dealer says its fine)...this last time i took it in...the engament got to about 3/4 of the way depressed before I would feel engament.

personally I think its BS. took the service writer for a drive and it was shuttering out of first.
the dealership is already in the process of fixing it saying pressure plate bolts have backed out and the clutch has hot spots in it,,,service writer says can be due to hard driving.. thats when i nicely laid into his ass a bit.
so bolts have backed out and its cause im driving hard?
I know i have read many of post on here about the problems with the trans
the thing i dont get is he tells me its warrented this time but the next time it happens u probably gonna have to fix it not warrented...then he goes on to tell me put an aftermarket clutch...well u spend 35k on a car and then 1200 miles u put an aftermarket clutch thats not warrented.(umm let me see No)

Its getting fixed for free this time but i just see this as problems im gonna have in the future....becasue i have a car like this, its my falut if something breaks.(driving to hard) really ford dont make a performence car and expect grandma to dive it.(and even then they will blame her for driving to hard).
What you went through with the dealership is what I went through for my rough shifting problem. Except my car had less than 3500 miles on it. It is also why I may never buy another Ford product again... I consider this a dealer network issue as much as a Ford issue...

2011 5.0 Performance White Premuim 3.73 6spd manual HID Heated Seats bone stock (for now)
9/2010 build date
PONY Member

Reviving this thread...

Well, I would say 15-20K miles if you're hard on your car like me. Hard=bigger tires, tune, LCA's, speed shifting. Track or not, if you're on your car 1-5th gear 3-4 times a week, I would say you're not going to make it past 20K since mine just went out at 14K.

For a totally stock car, who knows; it all depends on how you drive it.

2012 Boss Laguna Seca #290 and 2015 PP Ecoboost (Daily Driver )
Previous: 2011 GT, 2000 Camaro SS, 93 Lightning
Rookie

It should last 80k+ even driving hard. Hard driving does not equal clutch wear unless you slip it excessively between gears.
BOSS Member
S197 Member

As has been answered one way or the other this is a subjective question. Ruling out any sort of parts defect clutch life is largely dependant on driving style. In other words how you treat it, is how it will treat you.

2011 GT. Grabber Blue. Procharged. 3:73 manual.Billit LCA's. Corsa Extremes. GT 500 wheels. Racemaster DR's. T-56 Tremec. Dynotech DS . Centerforce DF. American Racing headers/high flow cats 560 rwhp.Donny Walsh tuned

2012 Pony Package. Race Red.3:31 automatic.BBK longtubes and catted X.FRPP Sport axlebacks. BBK throttle body. Dynotech DS. Brembo wheels and tires. Strut tower brace. Airraid CAI. Bama tuned.
PONY Member

You guys are all talking like there's no such thing as a bad clutch, and that it's all about how you drive it and that's simply not true....

Really all that anyone has said is they don't know. Fair enough, mine went out on account of a busted clutch sleeve at 6k. My $18,000 SRT-4, that I beat the dog **** out of, lasted 100k with about 100hp over what it was designed to handle. Here's to hoping the clutches in our cars aren't as weak as some of these factors might suggest.

I would like to think that the clutch *should* last at least 50k on a modded Stang' driven hard. I suppose we'll see as guys continue to ratchet up the miles how they're generally hanging on.

I read internet forums because I love objective opinions about subjective topics.
BOSS Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Ryan View Post
You guys are all talking like there's no such thing as a bad clutch, and that it's all about how you drive it and that's simply not true....

Really all that anyone has said is they don't know. Fair enough, mine went out on account of a busted clutch sleeve at 6k. My $18,000 SRT-4, that I beat the dog **** out of, lasted 100k with about 100hp over what it was designed to handle. Here's to hoping the clutches in our cars aren't as weak as some of these factors might suggest.

I would like to think that the clutch *should* last at least 50k on a modded Stang' driven hard. I suppose we'll see as guys continue to ratchet up the miles how they're generally hanging on.
No we are not "all" talking like that. Read my answer carefully. I said "ruling out any parts defect"

2011 GT. Grabber Blue. Procharged. 3:73 manual.Billit LCA's. Corsa Extremes. GT 500 wheels. Racemaster DR's. T-56 Tremec. Dynotech DS . Centerforce DF. American Racing headers/high flow cats 560 rwhp.Donny Walsh tuned

2012 Pony Package. Race Red.3:31 automatic.BBK longtubes and catted X.FRPP Sport axlebacks. BBK throttle body. Dynotech DS. Brembo wheels and tires. Strut tower brace. Airraid CAI. Bama tuned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page