MT82 Gears getting worse. Any response from Ford? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member

MT82 Gears getting worse. Any response from Ford?

Hi.

My MT82 problems started with some gear whine a few weeks ago. It is still there but it does not bother me that much. I learnt how to lower my expectations to stay happy since I really love my 2011 GT!

But the problem shifting into and between 1st and 2nd gears is really getting annoying now. When the engine is cold, I can barely shift into 1st and than to 2nd with one hand! No grinding or banging noise but everytime I shift, it feels like I am ramming the gears through a concrete wall to engage!

I think that Ford is taking our love for Mustangs for granted! I mean the web is flooded with complaints on MT82 transmission issues and still there is not a single comment, announcement or a service bulletin released by Ford. or am I missing anything here? Has anyone heard of any solution to our MT82 problems? ..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011
Banned
4.6L Member

you mean you haven't read the posts? Either the problem is in your head, you can't drive, you can't shift, there is no problem, it's only a very few cars, just live with it....
Don't you love American car companies? This thing clearly has issues, the only solution I've seen that may work is the barton shifter...someone showed a trans disassembled with many broken synchro teeth...it's possible yours has that too and it may need to be examined...good luck.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011
Banned

Yep, I think it's a percentage issue for Ford. I hate it for you, but for every one like you there's 50 like me that's not having any issues. I may not be able to say that 5000 miles from now, bit I can right now. As far as Ford is concerned it's not a safety issue and no one has died from it. Sure they may lose one or two in the PR battle, but for every one they lose the truth is they'll gain 10 more. What's worse is they know it.
You know what's weird too? I did a lot of research on the 11/12 Mustang before I bought it. In all that research via on line and print no one, and I do mean no one ever complained about shifiting the tranny. Consider that most of the pros reviewing the car also drive and review the best shifting trannys on the planet. Best of luck with your dealer!

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011
Apprentice
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12blackgt View Post
Yep, I think it's a percentage issue for Ford. I hate it for you, but for every one like you there's 50 like me that's not having any issues. I may not be able to say that 5000 miles from now, bit I can right now. As far as Ford is concerned it's not a safety issue and no one has died from it. Sure they may lose one or two in the PR battle, but for every one they lose the truth is they'll gain 10 more. What's worse is they know it.
You know what's weird too? I did a lot of research on the 11/12 Mustang before I bought it. In all that research via on line and print no one, and I do mean no one ever complained about shifiting the tranny. Consider that most of the pros reviewing the car also drive and review the best shifting trannys on the planet. Best of luck with your dealer!
I agree completely, in every article I've read or viewed about the 2011/12 mustang from the professional car reviewers (C&D, road and track, and the virtual cornicopia of professional reviews on youtube) never once mentioned any defect in the transmission's capabilities. Only to come here after ordering mine and realizing that many owners were having issues! Common not one of the professionals had a problem? How's that work?

2012 Mustang GT Premium - Premier Trim with Grabber Blue accents - Electronics Package - Accessory Pack 4 - Add on Brembo strut tower brace - Borla S-type axle backs - DG custom quarter scoops - GT 500 SVT stripes - Hood Lift kit Redline Tuning - Aeroforce Interceptor Dual Gauge Pack
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011
Rookie
5.0L Member
S197 Member

the professionals reviewing these cars spend days with them at the most. when an owner puts 5000 miles/km on the odometer he is much more likely to develop problems.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebowski951 View Post
the professionals reviewing these cars spend days with them at the most. when an owner puts 5000 miles/km on the odometer he is much more likely to develop problems.
My thoughts exactly... and I wouldn't be surprised if the two companies, ford and reviewers, have an agreement as to giving the final 'OK' of a review to have it published...

2011 5.0 Sterling Grey w/Brembo's - JHR Shifter/Bracket/SS Clutch Line - Eibach Sportlines - Carroll Shelby CC Plates - JLT Catch - Axle-back ex. - BG SS II
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011
PONY Member

Start off in 2nd gear or skip 2nd gear until the transmission warms up. Don't force into gear or it could get worse.

Ford Racing K-springs & dampeners. UPR Street adjustable UCA. UMI LCA & bolt in relocation brackets. Comp Eng. panhard.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by by9468840 View Post
Hi.

My MT82 problems started with some gear whine a few weeks ago. It is still there but it does not bother me that much. I learnt how to lower my expectations to stay happy since I really love my 2011 GT!

But the problem shifting into and between 1st and 2nd gears is really getting annoying now. When the engine is cold, I can barely shift into 1st and than to 2nd with one hand! No grinding or banging noise but everytime I shift, it feels like I am ramming the gears through a concrete wall to engage!

I think that Ford is taking our love for Mustangs for granted! I mean the web is flooded with complaints on MT82 transmission issues and still there is not a single comment, announcement or a service bulletin released by Ford. or am I missing anything here? Has anyone heard of any solution to our MT82 problems? ..
Take your car in. There are 2 TSBs right now for the transmission. One is to check the pressure plate bolts, because the stock ones are backing out. They pull your whole transmission off to fix the bolts and put longer ones in and make them tighter. There is also a TSB for 1-2 shift on cold start, which they replace the fluid with a thinner fluid to make shifting easier.

Also, just because 90% of people are not having problems with there cars doesnt mean that there are not problems with the transmissions. You just haven't seen them yet and/or are not affected.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011
PONY Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cshiznitzj View Post
Start off in 2nd gear or skip 2nd gear until the transmission warms up. Don't force into gear or it could get worse.
I have the 3.73 rear. I hardly ever start off in first... Why... there is no need unless you are on a steep incline and even then I can start off in 2nd just fine. I picked mine up in November. I noticed the 1 to 2 shift issue right off. It seems to go away after the car breaks in. I'll know for sure once it cools off again, but right now with temps near 100 degrees, mine shifts smooth as silk. luv it!

2016 GT Premium Coupe|Equipment Group 401A|GT Performance Package
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member

ok i noticed tonight another problem. I actually have a really loud grinding noise when I power shift from 5th to 6th. I just happened to notice it by chance. I am sure no body really power shifts to overdrive at most conditions so it is probably another undetected Mt82 issue. When I shift to 6th with normal throw speed, no problems. But see if you can shift fast without any grinding?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page