Gear whine opinions - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011 Thread Starter
BOSS Member
S197 Member

Gear whine opinions

First off, all the "ethugs"come ahead with your remarks, it won't phase me.

Now for the question. Had my car out tonight and as usual I get gear
whine from 60 miles an hour up. It is gear whine because when you get off the gas it stops, on the gas it starts.
What has me puzzled now is I thought it was coming from the rear end. It has 3:73 gears. But as I listened to it, it is loader near the shifter. Doesnt matter what gear you are in, it happens from 60 up regardless. But now I am wondering if it is coming from the transmission ( its a manual) not the rear end.
Maybe the sound is loader at the shifter because there is a hole in the floor there and the sound comes through easily, or maybe it is the transmission whining. Any opinions? It has done it from day one.

2011 GT. Grabber Blue. Procharged. 3:73 manual.Billit LCA's. Corsa Extremes. GT 500 wheels. Racemaster DR's. T-56 Tremec. Dynotech DS . Centerforce DF. American Racing headers/high flow cats 560 rwhp.Donny Walsh tuned

2012 Pony Package. Race Red.3:31 automatic.BBK longtubes and catted X.FRPP Sport axlebacks. BBK throttle body. Dynotech DS. Brembo wheels and tires. Strut tower brace. Airraid CAI. Bama tuned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011
GT Member

Sounds like that would be your transmission and if you bring it in the service department is just going to say "its just normal driveline slack". ( that's what they told me anyways)My car has a whining/howling noise when coasting between 40-45 and it goes away when I press the gas, it drives normal but just makes noise so I'll deal with it and if something does break I have papers that note I told them about it when I was in for service.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011
Apprentice

Some transmissions just whine. I had a '95 COBRA that had that too. - It was all stock - I pulled it off the showroom floor with 46 miles. From day one it had a little whine. It's just the way it was. I dont know though. It never came apart or did anything funny. It ran great. Hmmm good luck Does it do it if you are coasting or just on the gas?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011 Thread Starter
BOSS Member
S197 Member

It only does it on the gas. Coasting it does not whine. Im just puzzled that it does it in any gear. It is speed related at 60 up. But definately a gear whine.

2011 GT. Grabber Blue. Procharged. 3:73 manual.Billit LCA's. Corsa Extremes. GT 500 wheels. Racemaster DR's. T-56 Tremec. Dynotech DS . Centerforce DF. American Racing headers/high flow cats 560 rwhp.Donny Walsh tuned

2012 Pony Package. Race Red.3:31 automatic.BBK longtubes and catted X.FRPP Sport axlebacks. BBK throttle body. Dynotech DS. Brembo wheels and tires. Strut tower brace. Airraid CAI. Bama tuned.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011
PONY Member

Generally, a trans gear whine should change in intensity with gear changes. They'll usually go away or get worse. If there is no change at all, it may be a rear gear whine transferring through the chassis. Sound can do weird things sometimes. Don't you have aftermarket LCA's? Before bringing it in, I'd swap them out first. You don't want to get tagged for a diag fee if they confirm it is from the parts. You can also have someone ride in the back seat to make sure it isn't from the rear end. It is still possible that a gear in the trans is making the noise with no affect from shifting since it is a constant mesh transmission; it's really just a process of elimination. Chassis ears really help for confirming noise problems like this.

2011 GT 6MT (Cookie Monster) - The 1/4 life crisis. Brembos, 401A, drop top, Grabber Blue.

1974 Dodge Challenger - The money pit. 408 SB stroker, Megasquirt 2 EFI, 904TF, 3.91 gears. 16MPG and 520HP goodness

2004 Hyundai Tiburon - The winter beater.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011 Thread Starter
BOSS Member
S197 Member

Good input grabber. Yes I am hesitant to take it in because i have after market LCA's and aluminum driveshaft. Your comments make sense. It has done it from day one even before any of ther LCA or driveshaft changes. I was thinking the same, it is rear end whine transfering through the drivetrain. I think I am going to leave it for a while, as i can't take it in with the above mentioned changes. Hopefully it wont get any worse. I hate to say its " normal" but sounds like other guys have had the same problem.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011
PONY Member

If it has always been there, I doubt it'll get any worse. It's likely a gear pattern issue. Gear whine is very subjective. I've had people complain about whines that make you think it is coming apart, only to find that it is barely audible at all. I've also gotten in vehicles that DO sound that bad, and the drivers just look at me like I am crazy. What noise?

You and the dealer will have to determine if it is excessive or not. If it is bad in your opinion, you can always swap the stock stuff on first to eliminate that potential battle with them. If it goes away with the stock stuff, it's ok and I'd leave it alone. There is a very good chance any repairs could result in a louder gear set. If it still there and excessive in your opinion, bring it to the dealer to fix. It will all depend on what happens with the stock stuff on.

2011 GT 6MT (Cookie Monster) - The 1/4 life crisis. Brembos, 401A, drop top, Grabber Blue.

1974 Dodge Challenger - The money pit. 408 SB stroker, Megasquirt 2 EFI, 904TF, 3.91 gears. 16MPG and 520HP goodness

2004 Hyundai Tiburon - The winter beater.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011 Thread Starter
BOSS Member
S197 Member

I am going to leave it alone. As mentioned it was there with the stock stuff on. It is not a really bad whine. But it is there. After all though its a Mustang not a plush Cadillac right ? You are right about going to the dealer to get it fixed. They might make it worse. I have done a few rear end gear changes, and I know that not all mechanics at dealers have experience with gear changes.( setting backlash etc) And if there is a pattern or chatter mark issue with the gear teeth, another set may not solve the problem.I think I will just turn the sterio back on.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011
Grimace427

A pretty simple way of identifying the source of the noise, whether it be the rear axle or the trans, is to check for the noise in 5th gear. I understand you said it occurs in any gear. Just for simplicity's sake check very carefully in 5th gear to hear the noise. If you still have it, it is the rear axle. If it goes away, it is the transmission.

The 5th gear in the '11+ Getrag trans is the 1:1 ratio and eliminates the countershaft in the driveline. My car whines a bit in any gear other than 5th.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page