Ford racing parts and new car warranty - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie
S197 Member

Ford racing parts and new car warranty

Hey, well I e-mail ford with the question about ford racing parts and my new car warranty. Here is a copy of what I got back from them.

"Thank you for contacting Ford Motor Company. My name is Julie and I'm with Ford's Customer Service Department.

Congratulations on the purchase of your 2012 Ford Mustang. You must be very excited to drive your brand new Ford Mustang. I'm glad you're loving it!

In reference to your inquiry, only Ford parts that have been thoroughly tested and approved by Ford Engineering should be considered. Ford part numbers will be issued and parts made available for purchase through our Dealers.

Just an additional information, the installation or use of any after-market product will not necessarily void the New Vehicle Limited Warranty. However, if the after-market product fails or causes a Ford Motor Company part to fail, the cost of the repair and any related damage(s) are not covered by your Ford Motor Company warranty.

Also, modifications to your vehicle could result in its not meeting either Federal Emission Control Standards or any applicable Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard.

I hope this information helps."

Sincerely,
Julie
Customer Relationship Center
Ford Motor Company

Should you feel that we have not adequately addressed your questions, please feel free to contact us via telephone at (800)392-3673 between the hours of 8 am and 5 pm, local time, Monday through Friday. Hearing-impaired callers with access to a TDD may contact 1-800-232-5952.

For online support visit us at: www.customersaskford.com which contains answers to frequently asked questions and links to other key product and service information.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011
GT Member
S197 Member

well... you can always get one of those ford racing blowers.

2011 Musang GT 6MT. Ford Racing 4.10 gears, TA Rear End Girdle, Boss 302 intake manifold, O/R x pipe, Ford Racing K springs, upr pro-series lca/uca/mount NGK 6510 gap to 0.32, ID 1000 injectors, KB Boost a pump, Paxton novi2200sl w 3.6 inch pulley 10psi. tuned by lund racing. unknown power.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

man i swear julie is the only person in customer service center.

2011 Black GT Premium
Auto, 401A, Shaker 1000, Comfort Package,
18 inch rims, 50/50 Window Tint, Mrt
Rear hinged window louvers, 5.0 Flowmaster
American Thunders.
Boss Quad Exhaust
Ordered 2/9/10
Arrived 4/29/10

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011
GT Member

Ford Racing and Ford Motors are not the same company.

Ford Racing offers their own warranty, and the dealer can be the same person for either company, so you're covered so long as either Ford Racing or FoMoCo takes responsibility.

But, if they point fingers at each other you are screwed. "The problem is your tune creating too much power." "The problem is a defective transmission." oops.

See also BMW and Dinan.

2011 401a Brembo Electronics HID
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbajones View Post
Ford Racing and Ford Motors are not the same company.

Ford Racing offers their own warranty, and the dealer can be the same person for either company, so you're covered so long as either Ford Racing or FoMoCo takes responsibility.

But, if they point fingers at each other you are screwed. "The problem is your tune creating too much power." "The problem is a defective transmission." oops.

See also BMW and Dinan.
Bingo. A lot of people are getting suckered in to thinking Ford Racing is the same as FoMoCo. Ford Racing offers THEIR OWN warranty on stuff they sell but in the eyes of the dealership, they still see Ford Racing stuff as "aftermarket."

2011 Mustang GT 5.0 Coupe/Brembos/3.73

"I'm also 6'5" and 270 lbs. and could crush a person's bones with my bare hands"
-Jozsefsz

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I concluded it may come down to the relationship you establish with your dealer and service manager and purchased the FRPP. However, the ProCal tune portion isn't yet avail for the 12's, and Ford Racing doesn't know when it will be. Mufflers sound great, though.

Bummer...throttle lag's getting old.

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...ing-parts.html

2012 GT Prem Cp, Kona w/MT-82, 401A, 3.73's & HID/Sec. GT-500 Spoiler & OE sidescoops. FR Pwr Upgrd & FR3 Adj Hndl Packs. MaxMoto CC plates. BMR Adj Panhard. 255/45 and 285/40-18 Conti DW's on silver Forgestar CF5's.Tint, clear bra, CDC Dead Pedal, JLT Oil Separator and Black in Back.

Ordered 3/18/11. Built 5/4. ETA 5/22. Arrived 5/24.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafreeze View Post
I concluded it may come down to the relationship you establish with your dealer and service manager and purchased the FRPP. However, the ProCal tune portion isn't yet avail for the 12's, and Ford Racing doesn't know when it will be. Mufflers sound great, though.

Bummer...throttle lag's getting old.

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...ing-parts.html
Is the ProCal FRPP tune different for the 2012's than the 2011's?

My dealer isn't a Ford Racing reseller and they weren't comfortable installing the tune -- they have one mechanic that works on Mustangs. I just installed it myself without issue.

I would have gone to them to have my 3.55 gears installed, but the one mechanic who could do it was busy and their prices was more than double of what a performance shop quoted. They did tell me that the gears would not affect my warranty since they are an option from the factory. Although I have no idea if there is a difference between the FRPP gears and the factory installed gears?

At the end of the day you are correct, warranty service has more to do with your relationship with your dealer and how much they will go to bat for you than anything else. I like my dealer a lot, been going to them for years, but they're the first to admit they just don't have the expertise with mustangs. I think they sell mostly trucks and Lincolns.

2011 GT Coupe Premium | MT82 | 3.55's | 400A | Red Candy/Stone | Security Pkg | Built 7/21
Installed: SVT Axelbacks w/ res delete, FRPP tune, K&N drop-in, strut tower brace, JLT oil catch can, PIAA/LEDs, GT500 splashguards, 27% tint

Sold: Rebuilt 1994 Mustang | Motorsports 5.8L/351W | HD 5M | DF clutch | 9" rear end 3.73s | Cobra 'R' brakes | aluminum driveshaft | street legal in SC (barely)
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmate View Post
Is the ProCal FRPP tune different for the 2012's than the 2011's?...
I don't know, and neither does my local Service Mgr. He speculates there may be some changes in the pcu on the car for 2012, but doesn't know.

2012 GT Prem Cp, Kona w/MT-82, 401A, 3.73's & HID/Sec. GT-500 Spoiler & OE sidescoops. FR Pwr Upgrd & FR3 Adj Hndl Packs. MaxMoto CC plates. BMR Adj Panhard. 255/45 and 285/40-18 Conti DW's on silver Forgestar CF5's.Tint, clear bra, CDC Dead Pedal, JLT Oil Separator and Black in Back.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011
Apprentice

The issue with the ProCal tunes is that they have to be signed off by the EPA. This is what Ford Racing told me. They are a 50-state smog legal tune. Though the PCM's are the same, they still have to jump through the same hoops every year.

Same deal with the Boss TracKey.
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Interesting, thanks.

Called them today and they still don't know, and don't know when they will.

I asked if he recalled when it became avail last year and he guessed end of summer, first part of fall.

that blows

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafreeze View Post
Interesting, thanks.

Called them today and they still don't know, and don't know when they will.

I asked if he recalled when it became avail last year and he guessed end of summer, first part of fall.

that blows
Sounds like they are waiting on EPA. Or they are getting more worried about the MT82. Really which we knew the real amount of failures to how many cars where made.

2014 Black 3.7 6M. 20 inch black bullets, Pypes Axle back, matte black super snake stripes, next up JLT intake.
2011 Mustang 5.0 Race Red. gone and was sick
2011 Mustang 3.7, gone sold 3 times since, that I know of.
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

For what it's worth, here is the reply I received to an e-mail inquiry about dealer-installed FRPP parts and new car warranties from a local Ford Racing affiliated Ford dealer (not my normal dealer):

"Mr. XXX,

If we did any modifications to your vehicle it would be with no warranties on parts or labor, and as far as Ford is concerned these days most all modifications effect or cancel some of the warranties on systems or subsystems affected by the installed parts in question. Ford authorized accessories do carry a warranty if installed at a Ford dealer, and some Ford racing parts carry a warranty but not many. With that said we can work on your vehicle with no responsibility or consequences regarding vehicle performance, drivability, emissions compliance or warranties."

Makes it sound like one is pretty much on their own, regardless if you use dealer installed FRPP parts or not. I find it hard to believe they won't even warranty the labor though.

Either way, I try to keep a good relationship with my regular dealer. If my transmission fails, engine blows, or the damn doors fall off, I will expect them to be reasonable in handling my warranty claim.

2011 GT Coupe Premium | MT82 | 3.55's | 400A | Red Candy/Stone | Security Pkg | Built 7/21
Installed: SVT Axelbacks w/ res delete, FRPP tune, K&N drop-in, strut tower brace, JLT oil catch can, PIAA/LEDs, GT500 splashguards, 27% tint

Sold: Rebuilt 1994 Mustang | Motorsports 5.8L/351W | HD 5M | DF clutch | 9" rear end 3.73s | Cobra 'R' brakes | aluminum driveshaft | street legal in SC (barely)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page