Barton Shifter and Bracket. Does it help with Mt82 problems? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Barton Shifter and Bracket. Does it help with Mt82 problems?

Hi

Just a simple question to those of you who have MT82 problems who installed Barton shifter and bracket.

Did you see any improvement after you installed them? How did your whine, grinding, rough shifting improve with Barton equipment?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011
Grimace427

To answer your questions, replacing the shifter bracket will improve feel and precision of the shifter and many like it so much they leave in the stock shifter assembly. However noise will transmit more through the denser shifter bushing than the stock rubber bushing and whine will be more prominent.

I apologize if your Mustang experience is limited to the forums but I have gotten tired of everyone saying "MT82 problems" instead of the more accurate "shifting problems". There are more components in the vehicle resposible for shifting gears than just the trans and the ignorance is spreading like wildfire. For those having issues this will only make getting their cars fixed take even longer.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011
PONY Member

I don't know about the Barton, but I installed a JHR bracket and it made the shifting more precise while increasing the level of driveline noise in the cabin considerably.

Quote:
Originally Posted by by9468840 View Post
Hi

Just a simple question to those of you who have MT82 problems who installed Barton shifter and bracket.

Did you see any improvement after you installed them? How did your whine, grinding, rough shifting improve with Barton equipment?

Thanks

2014 GT500

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAJ5Point0 View Post
I don't know about the Barton, but I installed a JHR bracket and it made the shifting more precise while increasing the level of driveline noise in the cabin considerably.
Have the JHR bracket and shifter, had same problem. Took off the sound tube, noise is 95% gone.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011
PONY Member

I have the Barton products. It improved shifter feel but does not fix the notchiness. If you have grinding issues, I doubt it will fix it. Lot of haters on the Barton stuff lately.

----------------------------------
1993 Mustang Cobra - 99% stock
2011 Mustang GT(RIP)
2011 Shelby GT500 - Gone
2015 Mustang GT
----------------------------------
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011
Grimace427

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchristena View Post
I have the Barton products. It improved shifter feel but does not fix the notchiness. If you have grinding issues, I doubt it will fix it. Lot of haters on the Barton stuff lately.
The Barton products seemed very trendy and the excitment rose and fell very sharply. But that should not reflect poorly on the products themselves and more on the market. Barton was the second to the market with a short throw shifter, Steeda being the first. I think the bracket(Both Barton and JHR, which I have) are very well designed and innovative in the performance field but far from necessary for an enjoyable driving experience.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnold66 View Post
Have the JHR bracket and shifter, had same problem. Took off the sound tube, noise is 95% gone.
Sound tube? You mean the duct in the engine compartment? I was wondering about that.

2014 GT500
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAJ5Point0 View Post
Sound tube? You mean the duct in the engine compartment? I was wondering about that.
Try here!

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...ustang-gt.html
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011
PONY Member

I have a total screw-ball combo: Steeda Shifter and Barton Bracket. They have been on the car since I hit somewhere between 150 and 250 miles on the odometer and am just over 2000 miles now - around 2200-2300. (Can't remember when). The transmission shifted fine before but it's much more "direct" if that's the correct term, and it now has quicker/shorter shifts. My build date is 8/10. There is much less side to side play. The only time I get a grinding noise is when I screw up the shift. I only have to push the peddle down about half way to shift the gears. I have read were some have double-pumped and had to press the peddle to the floor board to make a shift. That would suck.

The bushing added some NVH but not enough to matter (IMO).

Totally off topic here (sort of):
I've never had any issues with the MT82 other than being Chinese made.

2011 5.0 GT 3.55 gears, Candy Apple, Steeda CAI and SCT Tune,Steeda Control Arms, LCA Relocation Bracket, Pan Hard Bar and Brace, Ultra Light Springs, 3rd Link, Camber Plates, Tokico D-Spec Struts/Shocks, Shifter, Barton Shifter Bushing, Flowmaster hush power. Steeda 18X9 Chrome Pentar/Nitto NT05 275/40/18. BBK long tubes and OR xpipe

2005 F150 SXT, OX Locker, 4.10 gears, Edge CS Tuner, 33x10 AT, K&N FIPK, Gibson Exhaust.
Apprentice

I have a '12 GT with the 6-speed, but I don't know what the trans model is.
FWIW initially every time I jumped on it, the damn thing wouldn't let me change gears quickly. After reading on here that the Barton shift bracket would solve that problem, I got one.
And it did. I felt like it maybe took 75 miles or so to 'break in', but from then on I could rip through the gears at WFO no problem.
HOWEVER....! I just installed a Boss intake and new tuning, and when using the 'Race' or 'Performance' tune(s), the thing apparently now has enough power to overpower the Barton bracket as well. When ripping on it, I gotta let the thing calm down a tad before I shift.
I'm using the stock linkage, and I would imagine a beefier shorter-throw linkage will probably help,if not solve it entirely, so I'm gonna pick one up when I get around to it.
The bracket is cheap and easy enough to install that it's definitely worth it to put one on, IMO

'12 Boss-Competition Orange
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page