Axle Back Exhaust Question - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

Axle Back Exhaust Question

Hello Guys,
I purchased my 2011 5.0 about 3 months ago. I intend on changing the stock axle back exhaust to a Roush aftermarket axle back exhaust.

Is there anything that I should be aware of when changing the stock axle back exhaust to an aftermarket exhaust?

I plan on doing this myself in my driveway with the use of two ramps and hand tools. Any input would be greatly appreciated
Thanks.......

2011 Silver Mustang 5.0 Premium, 6 Speed Manual, 3.55 Gears, HID's, LLumar 35% Window Tint, Roush Axlebacks, Smoked Lights & Emblems
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011
GT Member
S197 Member

It's very easy I did it in about 35 minutes on my driveway.. I have the roush axle backs on my car. They are anyoing as hell. to loud! If you want to get me a pair of gt500 axle backs i will gladly trade them for my roush axle back my axle back has about 300 miles on the car.

I see that you are in miami.. If you want to see what they sound like or if you want me to give you a hand with anything PM me. None of my buddys have a 5.0 so I need 5.0 friends lol.
GO HEAT!

2011 Musang GT 6MT. Ford Racing 4.10 gears, TA Rear End Girdle, Boss 302 intake manifold, O/R x pipe, Ford Racing K springs, upr pro-series lca/uca/mount NGK 6510 gap to 0.32, ID 1000 injectors, KB Boost a pump, Paxton novi2200sl w 3.6 inch pulley 10psi. tuned by lund racing. unknown power.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011
Banned

There are several good write ups on this forum as well as others. Search is your friend. After putting my GT500s on I can tell you it's very easy.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12blackgt View Post
There are several good write ups on this forum as well as others. Search is your friend. After putting my GT500s on I can tell you it's very easy.
How much difference in sound were they from stock ? I feel that the stock 5.0 mufflers are too quiet . Also with the GT500's don't you have to move something else to get the tips out far enough ?
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by P51 Nick View Post
How much difference in sound were they from stock ? I feel that the stock 5.0 mufflers are too quiet . Also with the GT500's don't you have to move something else to get the tips out far enough ?
They are louder than stock, but not by much. I think it's the added bass that makes them. The install all depends on how you want to do it. You can just remove the muffler brackets, or you can loosen the pan hard bar and leave the muffler brackets on. Yes, I went to the pipe covers between the tail pipe sections and the headers and used the play to move my tips back to the rear clip vertical plane. Otherwise IMO the tips were too far undernath the rear valance.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12blackgt View Post
They are louder than stock, but not by much. I think it's the added bass that makes them. The install all depends on how you want to do it. You can just remove the muffler brackets, or you can loosen the pan hard bar and leave the muffler brackets on. Yes, I went to the pipe covers between the tail pipe sections and the headers and used the play to move my tips back to the rear clip vertical plane. Otherwise IMO the tips were too far undernath the rear valance.
Sound compared to stock ?
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011
PONY Member

Did this on Monday.
They are a lot louder than stock, I like them !
Highway cruise they're not loud at all, start up they are really loud, and quiet down at idle.
I tried moving the tips out/in and it seems to me the the tone gets lower when they are in, this is from in the car.

In a nutshell;
Get some lube for the hangers so that muffler rods will go in/out easier. I used Silicone spray, try not to use an oil that will deteriorate the rubber of the hangers.

Taking them off;
1. loosen the muffler clamp
2. pry the rear hanger off the muffler rod
3. seperate the muffler from the over axle pipe
4. push/wriggle the muffler off the forward hanger. this takes some effort.

Putting them on;
1. put the muffler on the forward hanger
2. put the muffler on the rear hanger
3. tighten the clamp most of the way but loose enough to adjust the muffler.
4. put the tip on and tightent it most of the way
5. adjust the muffler/tip in the opening to your liking and tighten the clamps

2011 GT, VMP Roush TVS, 10.80 @ 127mph
DynoSpeedRacing, Memphis TN
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011
Apprentice

My $.02, I have the Roush axle backs and I love them!! Yes they are a little on the loud side but at light throttle its just a purr. When you get on it they roar. It is exactly what I wanted. My other car is a 65 Stang and I wanted this new car to sound like it. I love the fact that I can just cruise around quietly and when I open her up it sounds like a beast!!!! I'm not sure what your looking for but dont give up on the Roush setup. They have no drone at all and sound pretty tame inside the car with the windows up.

2011 GT 5.0, Sterling Grey, Coupe, MT-82 Manual 6-speed Transmission, 3.73 Limited Slip Rear End, GT Brembo Brake Performance Package w/19" dark wheels, Hood Scoop, Pedestal Spoiler, HID headlamps, Security Package, All Black Leather Interior, Side Body Scoops, Shaker 500 Stereo System, Roush Axle-Backs, Barton Shifter Bracket and shift ball, SCT 91 performance tune.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by penaltyvectors1 View Post
My $.02, I have the Roush axle backs and I love them!! Yes they are a little on the loud side but at light throttle its just a purr. When you get on it they roar. It is exactly what I wanted. My other car is a 65 Stang and I wanted this new car to sound like it. I love the fact that I can just cruise around quietly and when I open her up it sounds like a beast!!!! I'm not sure what your looking for but dont give up on the Roush setup. They have no drone at all and sound pretty tame inside the car with the windows up.
Any chance of you providing a sound clip? I wanted to hear the Roush on the 11 GT. Thanks!

2013 Mustang GT Premium
Build Date: 01/14/2013
  • Ford Performance 3.73 Gears
  • MGW Race Spec Shifter
  • Flowmaster Outlaw Catbacks
  • American Racing Long Tube Headers / off road x-pipe
  • Ford Performance Cobra Jet Intake Manifold
  • Ford Performance 65mm Cobra Jet Twin Blade T/B
  • Ford Performance Cobra Jet CAI
  • SCT Tune
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1cor29 View Post
Any chance of you providing a sound clip? I wanted to hear the Roush on the 11 GT. Thanks!
There's a bunch of them on youtube. IMHO, none of them sound like the car does which is no surprise given the equipment used to record the videos and playing them back on my pc speakers.

2011 GT, VMP Roush TVS, 10.80 @ 127mph
DynoSpeedRacing, Memphis TN
GT Member
S197 Member

this is what mine sounds like with an o/r x pipe

cold start... YouTube - ‪2011 mustang gt roush axle back bbr o/r x pipe cold start.‬‏

after is warm...
YouTube - ‪ghost Cammed idle‬‏

and slow driving windows down.
YouTube - ‪Cammer tune agressive timing slow driving backfires.‬‏

2011 Musang GT 6MT. Ford Racing 4.10 gears, TA Rear End Girdle, Boss 302 intake manifold, O/R x pipe, Ford Racing K springs, upr pro-series lca/uca/mount NGK 6510 gap to 0.32, ID 1000 injectors, KB Boost a pump, Paxton novi2200sl w 3.6 inch pulley 10psi. tuned by lund racing. unknown power.
Apprentice

thanks for posting that manolith. i was wondering what the roush mufflers sound like... unfortunately for me, those would make me more of a heatscore with the cops than i already am.

Quote:
2011 Musang GT 6MT. 3.31 rear, Boss 302 intake manifold, JLT plastic cold air intake, BBR O/R x pipe BBR 93 octane tune.
musang? typo?
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

Guys,
Thanks for the info / procedures and sound clips. It helps a lot. This will defiantly be my first of many mods. I will post pics once I complete this install.
Thanks.......

2011 Silver Mustang 5.0 Premium, 6 Speed Manual, 3.55 Gears, HID's, LLumar 35% Window Tint, Roush Axlebacks, Smoked Lights & Emblems
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolith View Post
You get any drone while cruising in O/D with that setup? 35-80 MPH in 6th is what I talking about.
Thanks.

2014 Mustang GT/CS - Coupe
Sterling Gray
Manual Trans
Glass Roof
Navigation
Comfort
GT Member
S197 Member

There is a slight drone 1900 to 2100 rpm. You can barely hear tho

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page