Starting Off In Second Gear - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Starting Off In Second Gear

I find that first gear is so short that 99% of the time i will start off in second gear. The only exception is extremely slow moving traffic, busy parking lots or when i plan on setting her loose off the line and want the torque and higher rpm the lower gear gives me. But for daily driving i rarely start off in first.

Anybody do the same? Does this cause more wear to the clutch as opposed to starting in first?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011
Rookie
5.0L Member
S197 Member

They gave your car a first gear for a reason - use it.

Occasionally starting off in second (i.e. in snow/slippery weather when you don't want so much torque) its not bad.
Starting in second every once in a while I dont think will do any major damage, but in general - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5... is the way to go.

post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012_5.0 View Post
They gave your car a first gear for a reason - use it.

Occasionally starting off in second (i.e. in snow/slippery weather when you don't want so much torque) its not bad.
Starting in second every once in a while I dont think will do any major damage, but in general - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5... is the way to go.
I agree. Although I CAN start off in 2nd no problem, I don't like how much I have to slip the clutch to do so. It's just a LITTLE bit too tall to use every day. In my opinion.

2014 Mustang GT/CS - Coupe
Sterling Gray
Manual Trans
Glass Roof
Navigation
Comfort

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011
GT Member
S197 Member

If you are that lazy just use first gear and skip second and third and fifth. 1-4-6 That way your clutch last longer.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

2011 Musang GT 6MT. Ford Racing 4.10 gears, TA Rear End Girdle, Boss 302 intake manifold, O/R x pipe, Ford Racing K springs, upr pro-series lca/uca/mount NGK 6510 gap to 0.32, ID 1000 injectors, KB Boost a pump, Paxton novi2200sl w 3.6 inch pulley 10psi. tuned by lund racing. unknown power.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011
PONY Member

If it does cause more wear, it's marginally more. If you've got the 3.73s it's no big deal. I like the tq of 1st personally, but 2nd is fine.

Mods don't matter.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011
PONY Member

I start off in 2nd maybe a third of the time, but I have 4.10s so my gears are very short.

And it's not about being lazy, it's about not wanting to make a ton of noise by being at 4k rpms by 20mph in 1st. If I'm not trying to drive super fast, or if a cop is around and I'm trying to keep the noise down, I'll start off in 2nd and I don't have to slip the clutch much at all, but again, my gears are shorter than most people's.

2011 Kona Blue Mustang GT Premium Coupe - 401A, 6MT, Brembo, Comfort, Security, HIDs, Rear Camera
Steeda CAI, Magnaflow X-Pipe, Bama tune, Flowmaster Hushpower Axle-Backs, Ford Racing 4.10s, Barton Shifter & Bracket, JLT Oil Separator, BMR LCAs & Relocation Brackets, Steeda Adjustable UCA
13.31 @ 109.6 at 7,383' DA
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanRam View Post
If it does cause more wear, it's marginally more. If you've got the 3.73s it's no big deal. I like the tq of 1st personally, but 2nd is fine.
Exactly. When I drive to work on the base here I just baby it around. No more than 2K RPM. The "extra" wear that I am putting on the clutch at those RPMS or maybe even a little more is negligible. It's not like you slip the clutch between gears, it just drops right in.

I like using all the gears, but I do catch myself skipping 4th a lot and going to 5th. Sometime skipping 3rd and going to 4th. Just got comfort of driving though.

Your not hurting the clutch using all the gears. it's a six speed for a reason

2014 Mustang GT/CS - Coupe
Sterling Gray
Manual Trans
Glass Roof
Navigation
Comfort
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011
PONY Member
5.0L Member

You guys are silly. Starting off in 2nd gear is fine, especially if you have 3.73 gears.

I posted on another thread the gearing and max mph for each gear in our Mustangs compared to the Camaro and Corvette, and each of those cars first gear gets them will into the 50-60mph zone for 1st gear. In addition, the Camaro weighs several hundreds pounds more than the Mustang. 1st gear on a 3.73 Mustang will only get you 40mph at 6800rpm, and 2nd is only good for 60mph.

You got to remember that 5th gear is the new 4th gear (1:1 ratio) in the 2011+ 6MT's, so we gained an extra street gear, not a highway gear as in the Camaro or Corvette, which has 5th and 6th gear ratio's as highway gears only, with 6th gear being useless unless on the highway with a (0.5:1 ratio) where as we can use 6th gear at 35mph with 3.73's.

The new 5.0 motors turn high rpm's, so we have a very wide powerband to use. There is plenty of torque available to use 2nd gear all day long as a starter gear, unless you need to take off with caution for low speed parking lot driving, or full power launches, in which case 1st gear works best.

You are not going to ruin your clutch from the low rpm clutch slip to get the car moving, which is not excessive at all.

2015 Mustang GT PP 401A Black | Roush Supercharger
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011
Apprentice

I usually go 1-3-5 in my daily driving.

-1983 5.0 GT Red/Black.5MT.3:73.FMS Lowering Springs
-2011 5.0 GT Prem.Kona Blue.6MT.19" Nickel Wheels.3:73.Comf Pack. Blk/Cshmr Int
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Another advantage of starting off in 2nd gear, no Skip Shift.

post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Thanks for all the responses guys. MAYBE you can call it laziness that i start off in second but in just about any normal driving situation if i start off in first i will be shifting IMMEDIATELY into second. I have the Borla S-Type Catback exhaust, but even before that it was unnecessarily loud shifting at anywhere around 4k rpms in first during normal driving conditions.

Not to mention that the torque of first has a much greater tendency to jerk the car if i dont slip the clutch smoothly...less margin for error for a smooth start.

I have 3.73 gears. Ive also never run into the skip shift feature because of starting off in second.

If i am driving aggressively i most certainly use first gear.
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kn7671 View Post
You guys are silly. Starting off in 2nd gear is fine, especially if you have 3.73 gears.

I posted on another thread the gearing and max mph for each gear in our Mustangs compared to the Camaro and Corvette, and each of those cars first gear gets them will into the 50-60mph zone for 1st gear. In addition, the Camaro weighs several hundreds pounds more than the Mustang. 1st gear on a 3.73 Mustang will only get you 40mph at 6800rpm, and 2nd is only good for 60mph.

You got to remember that 5th gear is the new 4th gear (1:1 ratio) in the 2011+ 6MT's, so we gained an extra street gear, not a highway gear as in the Camaro or Corvette, which has 5th and 6th gear ratio's as highway gears only, with 6th gear being useless unless on the highway with a (0.5:1 ratio) where as we can use 6th gear at 35mph with 3.73's.

The new 5.0 motors turn high rpm's, so we have a very wide powerband to use. There is plenty of torque available to use 2nd gear all day long as a starter gear, unless you need to take off with caution for low speed parking lot driving, or full power launches, in which case 1st gear works best.

You are not going to ruin your clutch from the low rpm clutch slip to get the car moving, which is not excessive at all.
^^^^ This!

I've been doing a lot more 2-4-6 driving lately as I used to do 1-3-5-6...Only time I do not like using 2nd to start out is a hill or situation where I might need some zip.

Current Ride: 2014 RAM 1500 SPORT
Toy: 89 RX7-Turbo (Future LS Swap)
GT Member

Starting off in second is just fine. I don't believe all you guys saying that its more wear on your clutch because I've found starting in second I actually slip the clutch less than if I was taking off in first. This is because to start off smoothly in first you gotta hold the clutch just a little before letting it all the way out, starting in second I just tap the gas and let out the clutch.
PONY Member

Garage
I find starting off in 2nd requires too much slipping of the clutch and all I can do is mentally picture my clutch getting ground away.

2011 V6 Mustang
6 Speed Manual - 3.31 Gears
Kona Blue, Pony Package
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adblink View Post
I find starting off in 2nd requires too much slipping of the clutch and all I can do is mentally picture my clutch getting ground away.
With a V6 and 3.31 gears, I can imagine that it's a little harder to take off easily in 2nd gear, but still doable under the right conditions with the right driver.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page