E85 in a 5.0 Anyone? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011 Thread Starter
GT Member

E85 in a 5.0 Anyone?

I am curious about E85. Seems like there was a thread around here about a fella running it and getting some impressive power gains from the higher octane level. I know the manual says not to run it, but I was wondering if this is because the car is not tuned for it, or because it may damage something.

Thoughts?

2014 Mustang GT/CS - Coupe
Sterling Gray
Manual Trans
Glass Roof
Navigation
Comfort
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangChris810 View Post
I am curious about E85. Seems like there was a thread around here about a fella running it and getting some impressive power gains from the higher octane level. I know the manual says not to run it, but I was wondering if this is because the car is not tuned for it, or because it may damage something.

Thoughts?
you would need to get a tune and run agressive timing to see power gains. I have been wanting to do it for a while just to see

2011 Musang GT 6MT. Ford Racing 4.10 gears, TA Rear End Girdle, Boss 302 intake manifold, O/R x pipe, Ford Racing K springs, upr pro-series lca/uca/mount NGK 6510 gap to 0.32, ID 1000 injectors, KB Boost a pump, Paxton novi2200sl w 3.6 inch pulley 10psi. tuned by lund racing. unknown power.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011
Banned
4.6L Member

I run it in my car and love it...now I am tuned for it and have an upgraded fuel system so that helps, forced induction really benefits from it since the intake charge is so cold
It shouldn't damage anything since the car is made to run E10, there was a thread about a guy who just pumped it into his stock 07 GT and said it had no problems and ran great...
Try it with a couple gallons and see what happens, if it sucks top it off with regular gas and move on, know the MPG will really suck since the BTU value is about 30% lower than gasoline

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011 Thread Starter
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Manystangs View Post
I run it in my car and love it...now I am tuned for it and have an upgraded fuel system so that helps, forced induction really benefits from it since the intake charge is so cold
It shouldn't damage anything since the car is made to run E10, there was a thread about a guy who just pumped it into his stock 07 GT and said it had no problems and ran great...
Try it with a couple gallons and see what happens, if it sucks top it off with regular gas and move on, know the MPG will really suck since the BTU value is about 30% lower than gasoline

Thanks guys. I know i would need a tune. I wonder if americanmuscle would be able to write me a mail order tune. As far as the MPG goes, screw it. E85's about 30% less money than premium so it would all even out. I was just thinking that running E85 might net me some impressive gains in HP and TQ.

You talk about the intake charge being cooler. Does this translate in to lower IAT's? And if so, is that something the computer will pick up on?

Sterling Gray
Manual Trans
Glass Roof
Navigation
Comfort
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011
Banned
4.6L Member

I'm not sure how the computer would react to it...from what I've seen some just put it in and voila no problems...since the intake charge is cooler/denser, the motor makes more hp, like driving on a winter day...
Since the octane is higher, yeah you can add alot of timing...AM might be able to do a tune, I had mine custom done with a chip and switch so I can run gas or E85
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011 Thread Starter
GT Member

Thanks. I'm going to pop in to the AM portion of the website and ask them about it their. I guess my main concern is not the tune as much as it is the E85 messing with the seals and fuel lines and things like that. I don't want to mess anything up over time. Seems like the E85 might dry things out over time??? Kind of wonder why Ford did not build the funtionality of running E85 in to the Mustang.

Sterling Gray
Manual Trans
Glass Roof
Navigation
Comfort
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangChris810 View Post
Thanks. I'm going to pop in to the AM portion of the website and ask them about it their. I guess my main concern is not the tune as much as it is the E85 messing with the seals and fuel lines and things like that. I don't want to mess anything up over time. Seems like the E85 might dry things out over time??? Kind of wonder why Ford did not build the funtionality of running E85 in to the Mustang.
i dont know if american muscle have e85 tunes but i know that vmp and lethal performance have them.

2011 Musang GT 6MT. Ford Racing 4.10 gears, TA Rear End Girdle, Boss 302 intake manifold, O/R x pipe, Ford Racing K springs, upr pro-series lca/uca/mount NGK 6510 gap to 0.32, ID 1000 injectors, KB Boost a pump, Paxton novi2200sl w 3.6 inch pulley 10psi. tuned by lund racing. unknown power.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011
Bud
Apprentice

E85 Results inside 2011 5.0

E85 was fun in my WRX, but cold weather starting problems sucked! Not sure we'd see the same problem with the higher compression in our motors. FI would take fuel system upgrades though, needing 30% more fuel throughput sucks.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011 Thread Starter
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duece212 View Post
E85 Results inside 2011 5.0

E85 was fun in my WRX, but cold weather starting problems sucked! Not sure we'd see the same problem with the higher compression in our motors. FI would take fuel system upgrades though, needing 30% more fuel throughput sucks.
Thanks for the link.

What kind of cold weather start issues did/do you have?

Sterling Gray
Manual Trans
Glass Roof
Navigation
Comfort
PONY Member

The sticker on the fuel door...the one that has a red line across the word "E85"....is a hint from Ford to not use E85

Build2 2011 Kona Blue GT. Premium, Brembo Package, 3.73, Glass Roof.
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsandman View Post
The sticker on the fuel door...the one that has a red line across the word "E85"....is a hint from Ford to not use E85

well who listens to ford anyways?

PONY Member

Ethanol has far less volatility, which means it will have a tendency to puddle or percolate instead of atomizing properly in a cold engine with cold fuel. That can cause cold starting and drivability issues.

2011 GT 6MT (Cookie Monster) - The 1/4 life crisis. Brembos, 401A, drop top, Grabber Blue.

1974 Dodge Challenger - The money pit. 408 SB stroker, Megasquirt 2 EFI, 904TF, 3.91 gears. 16MPG and 520HP goodness

2004 Hyundai Tiburon - The winter beater.
Bud
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011GrabberGT View Post
Ethanol has far less volatility, which means it will have a tendency to puddle or percolate instead of atomizing properly in a cold engine with cold fuel. That can cause cold starting and drivability issues.
That would be it, about 45 degrees and colder it wouldn't start, but that was in a car with 8.9 to 1 compression, guessing the higher compression of our motors would help that. E85 would be nice on a PD blower car that is heatsoak prone though.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011 Thread Starter
GT Member

Yeah I know about the warnings not to run E85. I just wonder why. Is it just because the car doesn't have the software to be able to compensate for the different fuel or is it because the fuel system cannot handle the E85 for one reason or another. As far as the cold start issues and things like that, how would this engine be any different than any other engine running E85 as long as it's tuned properly? Not starting a pissing contest, I'm really asking.

Sterling Gray
Manual Trans
Glass Roof
Navigation
Comfort
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsandman View Post

I was waiting for someone to act like a smartass and bring this up. This is only because you can't just put E85 in the tank and drive it. It's not tuned for it from the factory. It's not a FlexFuel vehicle. But with proper tuning, there's no reason you can't run E85 in these cars.

2011 Kona Blue Mustang GT Premium Coupe - 401A, 6MT, Brembo, Comfort, Security, HIDs, Rear Camera
Steeda CAI, Magnaflow X-Pipe, Bama tune, Flowmaster Hushpower Axle-Backs, Ford Racing 4.10s, Barton Shifter & Bracket, JLT Oil Separator, BMR LCAs & Relocation Brackets, Steeda Adjustable UCA
13.31 @ 109.6 at 7,383' DA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page