MT-82 Shifting at track versus street... - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

MT-82 Shifting at track versus street...

Ok, I had the clutch pedal problem fixed and can now rev to redline to shift, but... above 6500ish it doesn't want to go into 3rd. I installed the Barton bracket, took it to the track with my new Weld RT/S setup and 295 DR's, still doesn't want to go into 3rd if shifted above 6500ish. I can shift on the street at 7000 and above, no issues, but on the track, won't go 3rd unless I shift real early. I know that this means the added traction of a prepped track cause the tranny and engine to torque over and affect the remote mounted shifter that we have, but crap!!! CHE K-brace just came in and I plan on installing it, so I hope to heck it works. Can anyone tell me that the K-brace and torque limiters will fix the 2-3 problem?

By the way, M6 cars, drag radials don't hook anything like slicks, even with 3.31 gears. Frustrated to say the least. Was thinking that they would allow the 2-3 shift better and the car looks sick with skinnies and huge dr's on the street.

2014 GT - DIB - A6 - 3.15's - JLT - o/r x - GT500 ab

SOLD - 2011 GT - White - M6 - 3.31's - bolt ons and slicks
1/8 mile: 7.45 @ 91.86mph, 1.60 60ft (ECDW, Holt, Florida)
1/4 mile: 11.83 @ 117.97mph, 1.64 60ft (SGMP, Valdosta, Georgia)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011
Grimace427

Quote:
Originally Posted by cammed06 View Post
Can anyone tell me that the K-brace and torque limiters will fix MY 2-3 problem?
fixed...

I shift significantly higher than 6,500rpm and have never had an issue with the 2-3 shift and the last two times I was at the track I was using the stock shifter and bracket. I now have the JHR shifter and bracket but haven't been able to get to the track yet.

Obviously with the information you provided there is little anyone can do to help other than tell you to practice.

My rev limiter right now is set at 7,600rpm but I'm probably shifting at 7,200-7,400. I have some video of both track days(that I have been dragging my feet trying to upload to YouTube) showing my shifting technique. There is nothing really special but making sure you are using an open hand and pushing the shifter straight forward into third.

No one can say for certainty that any purchased part is going to cure the issue you are having.

post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimace427 View Post
fixed...

I shift significantly higher than 6,500rpm and have never had an issue with the 2-3 shift and the last two times I was at the track I was using the stock shifter and bracket. I now have the JHR shifter and bracket but haven't been able to get to the track yet.

Obviously with the information you provided there is little anyone can do to help other than tell you to practice.

My rev limiter right now is set at 7,600rpm but I'm probably shifting at 7,200-7,400. I have some video of both track days(that I have been dragging my feet trying to upload to YouTube) showing my shifting technique. There is nothing really special but making sure you are using an open hand and pushing the shifter straight forward into third.

No one can say for certainty that any purchased part is going to cure the issue you are having.

Not to hi-jack, but 7600? Really? WOW! Seriously, WOW. That's pretty high.

2014 Mustang GT/CS - Coupe
Sterling Gray
Manual Trans
Glass Roof
Navigation
Comfort

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011
Grimace427

First time at the track I was hitting the 7,300rpm limiter from my BBR tune. 7,600 is just to get through the traps in 4th. Once I get 28" tall drag radials I will probably be doing 7,200-7,300 at the stripe and I won't need to worry about it.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011
Banned

Quote:
fixed...

You respond like you're talking to a rookie drag racer.

I've talked to several others that have the 2-3 is in fast shifts on prepped tracks. Definately not rookies either. It's an issue that is out there.

I was there and watched cammed 06 run his 7.45 1/8. Driving skills are not the issue.

Mike, I think you are onto the problem, the movement of the drivetrain. I forget wether you said you had replaced the motor mounts or not. You might consider that if you haven't. I still think the movement is coming from there.

I was at the track on the 3rd, didn't see you there. I'm home this weekend, but will be up there for the next two weekends. If you're running call me.

I figured out my launch on the street tires with the A6. 900 rpms, sidestep the brake. Go to half pedal almost immediately and then work it to the floor at about 5500 rpms. I got a couple 2.02 60's and had a 8.43 at 85.21 for my new best.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011
Grimace427

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergyflyer View Post
You respond like you're talking to a rookie drag racer.

I've talked to several others that have the 2-3 is in fast shifts on prepped tracks. Definately not rookies either. It's an issue that is out there.

I was there and watched cammed 06 run his 7.45 1/8. Driving skills are not the issue.

Mike, I think you are onto the problem, the movement of the drivetrain. I forget wether you said you had replaced the motor mounts or not. You might consider that if you haven't. I still think the movement is coming from there.

I was at the track on the 3rd, didn't see you there. I'm home this weekend, but will be up there for the next two weekends. If you're running call me.

I figured out my launch on the street tires with the A6. 900 rpms, sidestep the brake. Go to half pedal almost immediately and then work it to the floor at about 5500 rpms. I got a couple 2.02 60's and had a 8.43 at 85.21 for my new best.
No condescension intended, my apologies. I was responding with the information provided, better than assuming he was an expert and I had nothing to offer.

I just didn't want someone telling him to buy XYZ parts to solve his issue without fully understanding what is happening. I was trying to relay my experiences at the track to hopefully give some fresh eyes on the subject.

I believe Lethal Performance is using the Barton bracket with a Steeda shifter, not sure what else they have as far as driveline mounts and bracing.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

I have the driver mod and have for years. This is an amazing problem that I can't seem to get licked. On the street, not a prepped track, I can speedshift at 7300 redline, but at the track, anything above 6?00ish, it won't find third. My 7.45 is my non-speedshifting 2-3 shift at 6000ish, to avoid the infamous 3rd miss.

I believe it's torquing over too much on the remote mounted shifter and causes an alignment issue, maybe, hoping that the k-brace will work. I know that other people don't have this same problem, but some do. Just want it fixed to get my full potential out of the car, as it sits.

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011
Apprentice

2-3 Shift issues at the track

Last weekend, i missed the 2-3 shift three out of five times. Never once had a problem on the street.

I wrote it off to adrenaline, now I wonder.

Ken Littlefield
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011
PONY Member

Quote:
No condescension intended, my apologies. I was responding with the information provided, better than assuming he was an expert and I had nothing to offer.

I just didn't want someone telling him to buy XYZ parts to solve his issue without fully understanding what is happening. I was trying to relay my experiences at the track to hopefully give some fresh eyes on the subject.

I believe Lethal Performance is using the Barton bracket with a Steeda shifter, not sure what else they have as far as driveline mounts and bracing.
Stock shifter here. The only driveline mods we've done are a DSS driveshaft and BMR loop. Stock transmission as well with a Mcleod RXT clutch.

Hope that helps.

Jared

LETHAL PERFORMANCE, INC.
877-2LETHAL
LETHAL
performance.com
Whipple Supercharger's Largest US Distributor
The Fuel System Guru's!!
SPECIAL ALLFORDMUSTANGS DISCOUNT: USE COUPON CODE ALLFORDS when checking out.
Grimace427

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Stock shifter here. The only driveline mods we've done are a DSS driveshaft and BMR loop. Stock transmission as well with a Mcleod RXT clutch.

Hope that helps.

Jared
So what is your take on the OP's issue? I haven't heard of the CHE K-brace in use yet.
Apprentice

subscribed! I remember reading somewhere guys were using the boss transmission mounts but was later informed they have the same part numbers as the GT, can someone confirm this?

2012 Base Performance White GT, Brembos, 3.55's
-Boss Steering wheel, MGW shifter
PONY Member

Quote:
So what is your take on the OP's issue? I haven't heard of the CHE K-brace in use yet.
I really don't know. There's a lot of people who seem to have issues but on the 2 MT-82 cars I own neither of them exhibit any issues like I read about. Both of them are smooth and take a lot of abuse. I remember reading another thread posted by Adam Louramore where the clutch fork seemed to be causing a shifting issue but other than that it could be anything.

Jared

LETHAL PERFORMANCE, INC.
877-2LETHAL
LETHAL
performance.com
Whipple Supercharger's Largest US Distributor
The Fuel System Guru's!!
SPECIAL ALLFORDMUSTANGS DISCOUNT: USE COUPON CODE ALLFORDS when checking out.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

It literally only happens on the strip, shifting above around 6500ish. I have shifted before, no problem, shifted after, problem, shifted around there and some make it and some don't. It is definitely taking some abuse, but no power adder abuse. I have no idea. I actually shifted at 7300, with a pretty cold tranny, but after some passes, it just started and kept happening. It rarely happens on the first pass, but it did last friday night.

Grimace427

I think this has gone out of my abilities but perhaps you can try loosening the bolts on the shifter and freeing up the shifter alignment. If there is a misalignment the Barton bracket may have actually made it more prevelant(not the bracket's fault).

Since the engine torques to the right side perhaps move the shifter into 5th then tighten the bolts. When I installed my JHR shifter there honestly was not a lot of play in the shifter mounting but perhaps there is enough to get the 2-3 WOT alignment perfect.

Either that or shimming the shifter base like was described in another thread(I believe it was Ross09 or someone like that).
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cammed06 View Post
By the way, M6 cars, drag radials don't hook anything like slicks, even with 3.31 gears. Frustrated to say the least. Was thinking that they would allow the 2-3 shift better and the car looks sick with skinnies and huge dr's on the street.
I don't mean to derail the shifter debate... but in regards to this particular comment, the DRs can work. Assuming you have decent control arms, we had my friend's car dead hooking on MT DRs leaving the line at 5000rpms with about 400rwhp. It takes a lot of finesse though. (not tach & dump like on slicks)

Like us at Facebook.com/TeamUPR
Follow us on Instagram @uprproducts
Ask me about the discount on UPR Products for AFM members!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page