Just ordered an e85 tune! - Page 3 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member

This isn't really the place to take a stand against the corn industry lol.

2011 Kona Blue Mustang GT Premium Coupe - 401A, 6MT, Brembo, Comfort, Security, HIDs, Rear Camera
Steeda CAI, Magnaflow X-Pipe, Bama tune, Flowmaster Hushpower Axle-Backs, Ford Racing 4.10s, Barton Shifter & Bracket, JLT Oil Separator, BMR LCAs & Relocation Brackets, Steeda Adjustable UCA
13.31 @ 109.6 at 7,383' DA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAP View Post
Then why dont my Corn Flakes cost $8/box, and why can I still buy 3 ears of corn for about a dollar?
Cuz thats like 2% corn lol.

MiNiSt3R of SiNisT3r
tuned by Ken Bjonnes. and exhaust,...
and procharged by "Power By the Hour"
566 [email protected] and 8 pounds
Bud
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wblv17 View Post
They need to take that corn crap out of gas. Trust me we are all paying for it in other ways. Anything made with grain has went up double since everyone grows corn for fuel.

I buy over 10 million pounds of grain a year. Trust me I know what this did to food cost.
If we are all paying for it in other ways some of us might as well get some use out of it then

Rookie

The most performance benefits with E85 are gained with an engine built to take advantage of the higher octane rating and cooling effects of the alcohol. This usually means a NA engine with 13:1 or higher compression ratio or a supercharged/turbocharged engine. A couple of years ago either Hot Rod or Car Craft magazine ran a good story on building engines for E85. They made some good power with both NA and supercharged setups. If I can find an online link to the story I'll post it here.

Ethanol contains about 30% fewer BTU's by volume than gasoline so mileage is significantly less than gasoline and requires a higher volume to be pumped into the engine than gasoline. Also, the optimum (stoichiometric) fuel/air ratio is different for ethanol than gasoline. In short, the advantages of E85 in an engine designed to run on pump gas are not fully realized without major modifications.

If you want to get up to speed on the non performance arguments regarding ethanol use, the NY Times ran this article on Friday: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/25/op...tner.html?_r=1
Rookie

subscribing
15 characters
PONY Member
S197 Member

Manuel,

Thought I'd let you know I also joined the E85 club today. I loaded the Jon Lund E85 tune. The car is running smoother overall than with my previous Bama 93 race tune, but definitely roasts the tires through the first three gears. My next step is to datalog before anything else but my job will keep me from doing that for about 10 days.

I'm not planning on a dyno session, but will get back to the track when the weather cools off (probably somewhere around the beginning of October).

Mike

2011 Mustang GT base, MT, 3.31 gears, E85 tuned, 47lb injectors, JBA stainless off-road h-pipe, GT500 axle-back, BMR springs, Roush UCA and billet LCA, CHE LCA relocation brackets, Strange 10-way struts/shocks, SPC aluminum adjustable panhard bar, BMR driveshaft loops, Barton shifter and bracket, JHR clutch line
post #37 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-04-2011 Thread Starter
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar Doc View Post
Manuel,

Thought I'd let you know I also joined the E85 club today. I loaded the Jon Lund E85 tune. The car is running smoother overall than with my previous Bama 93 race tune, but definitely roasts the tires through the first three gears. My next step is to datalog before anything else but my job will keep me from doing that for about 10 days.

I'm not planning on a dyno session, but will get back to the track when the weather cools off (probably somewhere around the beginning of October).

Mike
That's great mike! I'm glad you like the new fuel. So far I love it and I have not had any issues at all. On cold starts the engine will crank a turn or two more than it used to with 93 but that's normal. It will be a bit worse on cold weather I suspect. But that's the nature of the beast.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

2011 Musang GT 6MT. Ford Racing 4.10 gears, TA Rear End Girdle, Boss 302 intake manifold, O/R x pipe, Ford Racing K springs, upr pro-series lca/uca/mount NGK 6510 gap to 0.32, ID 1000 injectors, KB Boost a pump, Paxton novi2200sl w 3.6 inch pulley 10psi. tuned by lund racing. unknown power.
PONY Member
S197 Member

Up here in Minnesota, they have winter blend e85 which ends up being around e70. I probably won't run the mustang through the winter anyway as they use A LOT of salt on the roads. If I run it in the cold, I'll most likely switch back to 93.

I definitely like the way the car is running now!

2011 Mustang GT base, MT, 3.31 gears, E85 tuned, 47lb injectors, JBA stainless off-road h-pipe, GT500 axle-back, BMR springs, Roush UCA and billet LCA, CHE LCA relocation brackets, Strange 10-way struts/shocks, SPC aluminum adjustable panhard bar, BMR driveshaft loops, Barton shifter and bracket, JHR clutch line
post #39 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-04-2011 Thread Starter
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar Doc View Post
Up here in Minnesota, they have winter blend e85 which ends up being around e70. I probably won't run the mustang through the winter anyway as they use A LOT of salt on the roads. If I run it in the cold, I'll most likely switch back to 93.

I definitely like the way the car is running now!
E70 does help for cold starts. You don't need to switch anything. The car will run a on the rich side. I wont switch back to 93 again. When I spray I will get a dedicated fuel system for nitrous so I don't have to worry about extra fuel require for a 150 or 200shot. E85+ nitroud = sex.

2011 Musang GT 6MT. Ford Racing 4.10 gears, TA Rear End Girdle, Boss 302 intake manifold, O/R x pipe, Ford Racing K springs, upr pro-series lca/uca/mount NGK 6510 gap to 0.32, ID 1000 injectors, KB Boost a pump, Paxton novi2200sl w 3.6 inch pulley 10psi. tuned by lund racing. unknown power.
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

You guys must make alot more money than I do, no way I could risk voiding the warranty by using a fuel it specifically says not to use in the owner's manual.

Scott | 2012 GT Premium Coupe • Performance White • 6R80 • HID • 64M Wheels • Ford All-Weather Pony Mats & Trunk Liner • GT500/GT Rear Mud Flap Set • Ohio's Horses License Plate • Raxiom Aero Tails

If you love your dog, get a microchip, they really work! My lost dog was back home in just under 24 hours thanks to the good citizens who called the county and the microchip that told animal control exactly where he lived.
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 412horses View Post
You guys must make alot more money than I do, no way I could risk voiding the warranty by using a fuel it specifically says not to use in the owner's manual.
Thanks for the info.

post #42 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-04-2011 Thread Starter
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 412horses View Post
Not really dude. I dont make much money at all LOL I wish I did tho. after child support bills and taxes I am screwed. Anyways if you live with the fear of voiding your warranty or that your car is going to brake down then you will be stock for at least 3 years because pretty much everything will void warranty. Cold air intake and a tune will void your warranty. So I looked at my options.. I had a tune and a boss intake and off road xpipe already so my warranty was pretty much out the windows. Then after researching and looking at the added benefits of e85 I went for the switch not to make any more power but just for safety and the great detonation resistance that e85 has. It does say on the gas door that you should not use e85 but I just laugh at that when I fuel up. As long as you get a tune for it and you make sure that the A/F is right you should be safe. I would even go as far as saying that you will be safer than the best 93 octane tune that you can find. If the car does brake at one point for example a piston goes. I will need to work some extra OT and probably park the car for a month or two and get a set of pistons and rods. This has happened to me before with other cars. Its not the end of the world. This is not my daily driver so that might be the reason that I am not as afraid of it taking a dump. But you shouldn't be so afraid of modding this cars. They are very strong and e85 fuel is very safe. Research it and you will see.

Apprentice

I will probably consider this option. Does anyone know if the actual fuel system components will hold up to the actual E85, fuel lines and such?

2012 Base Performance White GT, Brembos, 3.55's
-Boss Steering wheel, MGW shifter
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morr5.0 View Post
I will probably consider this option. Does anyone know if the actual fuel system components will hold up to the actual E85, fuel lines and such?
That's the million dollar question. I am looking in to a E85 tune, but your question is the only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger.

2014 Mustang GT/CS - Coupe
Sterling Gray
Manual Trans
Glass Roof
Navigation
Comfort
post #45 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011 Thread Starter
GT Member
S197 Member

The fuel system on this cars is e85 ready just like all the new cars. Soon everyone will be running e15. I've read many articles of e85 on 100% stock vehicles that are not flex fuel. And after thousands of miles everyhing looks as good or better than the same vehicles running regular gasoline. The automakers have been gettmg ready for this for a while. I think that the reason that the 5gt was not flex fuel was because of cost savings. Its already the most expensive gt ever. Flex fuel sensors would add another 200-500 dollars on top of sticker.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page