2012 Mustang GT Ford Racing Performance Tune - Worth it? - Page 3 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Apprentice

'11 don't ping. 91-93 required. No tweaking possible on octane or tune.

2011 Candy GT Vert
1969 Camaro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCoyote View Post
I bought the ford racing tune for exactly the same reasons Timeless mentioned.

the increased low end torque is great, and useful.

You can't beat peace of mind either. Since I'm going to be paying on my car for several years I thought this was a safe mod for a good price. Got mine from Tausley Ford for $310? something like that.
Ordered mine today from Steve @ Tousley. $308. Been waiting for this since I bought the car. talked to my service manager and he's totally cool with it.

2012 blk/blk gt premium, 400a, brembos, comfort, reverse/security, 3.73's...

Ordered 4/16, vin 6/2, window sticker 6/9, build date 6/16, ETA 6/27, arrived 6/25, picked up 6/29...

mods: magnaflow streets, frpp power pack, mgw shifter, dss driveshaft, s/s clutch/brake lines, steeda rear suspension.
Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

The story: I have been running various Bama tunes on my 12. Just prior to uploading the FRPP I was running an 87 Performance tune.

The FRPP tune is much milder feeling than the Bama tunes. While the automatic shifting with FRPP is firmer than stock, it is not nearly as firm as Bama. FRPP does add torque, but overall it does not feel as strong as even the 87 Performance by Bama. The FRPP can't hold a candle to the Bama 93 Race.

All things being equal, your money is better spent on AM/Bama.

2014 V6 Auto, black, Performance Package, 102a, Dynotech drive shaft, brakes: Wilwood Superlite (front), adj. panhard; 3.73 gear; Steeda Sport Springs; Steeda sway bar.

GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_Rockett View Post
The story: I have been running various Bama tunes on my 12. Just prior to uploading the FRPP I was running an 87 Performance tune.

The FRPP tune is much milder feeling than the Bama tunes. While the automatic shifting with FRPP is firmer than stock, it is not nearly as firm as Bama. FRPP does add torque, but overall it does not feel as strong as even the 87 Performance by Bama. The FRPP can't hold a candle to the Bama 93 Race.

All things being equal, your money is better spent on AM/Bama.
Thank you sir this is what I was suspecting. Helpful info
Another member that had an auto with the FRPP PM'ed me with a similar review.

2012 5.0 Brembo, AED Performance Tune, Lethal Off-Road X, GT500 AB, 3.73, Airaid cai, GT500 SW :yelpleased:
2014 CX-5 Touring
Gone but not forgotten:
2011 Mustang GT|GT500 AB |FRPP Tune|6A
2010 Rav4 V6 | 07 Mazdaspeed3| 04 SRT4| 99 GSXR 750
2012 Camaro SS L99 Gone and forgotten
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUZZYDP View Post
'11 don't ping. 91-93 required. No tweaking possible on octane or tune.
Actually they do ping. I should know as I have one.

Happens right around 4K RPMs at WOT and settles down quickly after that as I guess the knock sensors kick in.

Ford Racing is aware of it and even says it is expected. They assure me it is normal and have engines with over 200k miles testing going strong.

Current Ride: 2014 RAM 1500 SPORT
Toy: 89 RX7-Turbo (Future LS Swap)
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless View Post

Happens right around 4K RPMs at WOT and settles down quickly after that as I guess the knock sensors kick in.

Ford Racing is aware of it and even says it is expected. They assure me it is normal and have engines with over 200k miles testing going strong.
Sorry to hear yours does. Mine doesn't.

2011 Candy GT Vert
1969 Camaro
GT Member

Quote:

Was told the exact same thing by several people at FR. I eventually pulled it off as I was not comfortable with a tune that would cause the engine to ping by design (they claim). It also depends who you talk to...one guy is adamant that it is not ping but something called "cat impingement" which is B.S i've never heard of it and the other two guys will admit that it pings by design.

The manual for the kit even says to change octane adjust settings if you hear spark knock so obviously how could it be normal if the instructions are saying to adjust it? even with octane adjust on it's lowest setting and putting in premium fuel you might get it in the hot weather.

I don't care how many engines and how many miles they say they tested it on..just doesn't feel legit in my book. I don't think it is worth the risk. I did a back to back dyno and the difference with the FR kit was literally < 10hp which is DEFINITELY not worth any pinging to me (i don't care how "normal" it is).

Quote:
It is not as easy to pick up as you might think. Unless you are driving by wall or trees or something that lets sound bounce back, a lot of owners might never even notice. However, put that baby on a dyno when it is warm and bring up the rpms and you will definitely know whether it is there or not standing next to the engine at WOT.

I also agree with the previous poster, it seems that the knock sensors do pick it up and it doesn't continue which means they are doing their job. It is also a good sign that FR did not alter the factory knock sensor calibration settings (supposedly) which is good but still....

best of luck to you.

2011 Mustang GT 5.0 Coupe/Brembos/3.73

"I'm also 6'5" and 270 lbs. and could crush a person's bones with my bare hands"
-Jozsefsz

PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cababah View Post
It is not as easy to pick up as you might think. Unless you are driving by wall or trees or something that lets sound bounce back, a lot of owners might never even notice. However, put that baby on a dyno when it is warm and bring up the rpms and you will definitely know whether it is there or not standing next to the engine at WOT.

I also agree with the previous poster, it seems that the knock sensors do pick it up and it doesn't continue which means they are doing their job. It is also a good sign that FR did not alter the factory knock sensor calibration settings (supposedly) which is good but still....

best of luck to you.
It could be that he has different settings than I do on my tune...mine has the default settings as the dealership installed mine with the new car purchase.

I tested it on the way home and watched carefully to the rpms. The slight knock/ping sound begins around 4500 at WOT and is gone by the time it hits 5500.

Apprentice

Any Suggestions?

Quote:
It could be that he has different settings than I do on my tune...mine has the default settings as the dealership installed mine with the new car purchase.

I tested it on the way home and watched carefully to the rpms. The slight knock/ping sound begins around 4500 at WOT and is gone by the time it hits 5500.
I definately know about pinging & what it sounds like. Mine is a vert so had ample chance to notice in a variety of settings. If it did I would not use it. Also have a 388 stroker w/11.5:1 which will ping like a sob without 50/50 mix of 111 & 93 octane. Can't tell you what the difference is? Just glad mine doesn't do it & the performance difference is very noticeable. I run 93 octane in Texas heat. Oh, dealer install here too.

2011 Candy GT Vert
1969 Camaro
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
I definately know about pinging & what it sounds like.
Pretty sure I did not say you do not know what pinging sounds like.

Just suggested maybe a difference in settings as it is well known that this does happen and the dyno charts do show the leaning out.

For me it does not matter what 93 octane gas I use from any top tier gas company.

What is weird is that I did not hear any knock/ping when the dyno was going but that could be due to how loud it already is inside those bay areas when going WOT.

Apprentice

[QUOTE=Timeless;2746076]Pretty sure I did not say you do not know what pinging sounds like.

Not saying so you did either. Doubt you could find 2 cars set up & built exactly the same. Mine ran great before but better now. Never any issues w/about 9K on clock. Sorry to hear about pinging on some. Sure it's not on all though.

2011 Candy GT Vert
1969 Camaro
GT Member

[quote=FUZZYDP;2746172]
Quote:
Pretty sure I did not say you do not know what pinging sounds like.

Not saying so you did either. Doubt you could find 2 cars set up & built exactly the same. Mine ran great before but better now. Never any issues w/about 9K on clock. Sorry to hear about pinging on some. Sure it's not on all though.
if it was only on "some" cars then why would Ford Racing say that it is part of the tune and they are aware and it is normal?

2011 Mustang GT 5.0 Coupe/Brembos/3.73

"I'm also 6'5" and 270 lbs. and could crush a person's bones with my bare hands"
-Jozsefsz

Apprentice

[QUOTE=cababah;2746249]
Quote:

if it was only on "some" cars then why would Ford Racing say that it is part of the tune and they are aware and it is normal?
Look. I'm not looking to argue with anybody. Refer to my prior post. Not all 11's are built "equal". If you have any doubts don't buy or use it. People asked for feedback & I gave my experience. NO ping. Runs significantly better than stock with no issues.

2011 Candy GT Vert
1969 Camaro
Apprentice

For what it's worth, I have experienced the spark knock with my 11 as well. I first installed the FRPP tune around the end of May, about a month after I purchased the car. However, it never once did it until after I took it on a 1400 mile road trip up to Illinois and back.

It was very noticeable, and it happened whenever I gave it more than half pedal anywhere from 2000 rpm and up. I tried setting the octane adjustment to Y, but it didn't help much. At first I blamed it on crappy gas, but it continued even after I had run several tanks of top tier 93 octane through it.

I went back to the stock tune for a while, and although it ran as expected, I really missed the utterly superior performance (IMO) of the FRPP tune. Additionally, having the skip-shift back drove me crazy, and my fuel mileage suffered noticeably.

I have since put the FRPP tune back on the car, and it seems a lot better. It only does it lightly at the rpm that others have noted now. It seems like the cooler weather we have had recently in N GA has made a big difference for the better as well.

Just wanted to put my experience out there as well, since I've been following what everyone else has posted on the subject, but have yet to contribute anything useful to anyone in return.

2011 GT Coupe Premium / MT82 / 3.31 / Brembo
Red Candy Metallic / Charcoal Black / 400A
Comfort / Security / HID Headlamps
FRPP M-FR1-MGTB Power Upgrade Package
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

It would be nice to have more feedbacks from the ones who have this on their Mustang..., anyone else wanna share their thoughts?

2011 Ford Mustang V8 5.0 GT/CS Black Coupe MT - (Mods in my profile, too many to list here...)
"Don't wait for tomorrow to look back and wish for today": In Memory of a great guy: Pcfrisch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page